IRS into a 2005 Mustang GT - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMosesSC View Post
I saw an IRS on ebay some time ago and posted about it, it was chrome and heavy as sh*t, not to mention the price tag was 2 grand ish AND it was a used R&D peice made for the S197, so....

Bieng that one has not made it to the market, there must have been enough negatives in the R&D stage for no one to actually take it to production.
I remember seeing that.

1965 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
Well another reason against it is that it adds about 500lbs of dead weight to your car...at 0.1 sec/100lbs in the 1/4, do you want to "lose"? 1/2 a second? I wanted one for my 96 cobra when my tuner pointed that out...it's why the new Camaro is heavier than Mustang, it has IRS
I wouldn't exactly say that the Mustang's solid rear axle is light... nor would I classify an IRS as heavy...

I would imagine you could get much better results by upgrading what you already have vs. modifying an IRS to fit an S197.

Banned
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
500lb? You care to back that up somehow? I doubt the entire thing weighs 500lb.:kooky:

Our motors don't even weigh 500lb
I can only tell you that the guy who tunes my cars who is probably the best damn tuner anywhere said it...he's not a BS guy, look the Camaro, why do you think it's 800lbs heavier than a Mustang? Duh, the IRS is a big part of it.

Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMosesSC View Post
I saw an IRS on ebay some time ago and posted about it, it was chrome and heavy as sh*t, not to mention the price tag was 2 grand ish AND it was a used R&D peice made for the S197, so....

Bieng that one has not made it to the market, there must have been enough negatives in the R&D stage for no one to actually take it to production.
I’ve seen that one a bunch of times. It was shown at the SEMA show a few years ago. They want way too much money for it but that is their prototype unit. And prototype stuff is INCREDIBLY expensive. The intake that I am making and putting on Orangecrush’s car will probably be $7500 when all is said and done. But once that is taken care of and they get cut on the CNC machine the following units will be FAR less money.

I’m sure that IRS on feeBay didn’t get much interest at the SEMA show so they decided not to put it in production. It is most likely a victim of not enough “positives” opposed to too many “negatives”. You can have the best product in the world but if no one is going to buy it you scrap the idea. They were crazy to think that was a viable product. You would need to make a ton of them to get a margin on them and the potential market for them is tiny. They are probably trying to get as much as they can out of their initial R&D cost of that one unit.

And it doesn’t look like a very good unit anyway.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
I can only tell you that the guy who tunes my cars who is probably the best damn tuner anywhere said it...he's not a BS guy, look the Camaro, why do you think it's 800lbs heavier than a Mustang? Duh, the IRS is a big part of it.
The Cobra is 389.4lb heavier than a loaded GT Coupe.

And the Cobra has these parts that are heavier than the GT. Some a lot heavier:
  • A 6 speed that weighs a ton
  • Big clutch and flywheel
  • 4v heads
  • 2 extra cams, valve, lifters, etc
  • Crank, rods and pistons are heavier
  • A lot bigger wheels and tires that weigh a ton
  • Bigger brakes
  • More sound insulation
  • The blower
  • Aluminum lower manifold (gt has plastic manifold)
  • Heat exhanger system
  • oh, almost forgot the IRS
Thats a whole lota stuff to split up into only 389.4lb

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriceFord View Post
I wouldn't exactly say that the Mustang's solid rear axle is light... nor would I classify an IRS as heavy...

I would imagine you could get much better results by upgrading what you already have vs. modifying an IRS to fit an S197.
No matter what you do you will never get a rear end set up better using a solid axle over an IRS. You can get them good. And if the surface is smooth the gap narrows. But if the road/track surface has any ripples, patches, bumps, etc the IRS car will walk away on the solid axle car.

And as far as racing goes you will get a lot more time out of the rear tires on a IRS car which means less or faster pit stops. And those have been known to win races.

You can also adjust toe and camber on the rear with an IRS, another huge advantage if you know what you are doing.

And another huge advantage is the IRS has FAR less un-sprung weight than a solid axle car. Un-sprung rate=bad.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

I'm with you on this Squidd, but my comment was intended for the masses... with aftermarket kits enabling you to spend into the $9000+ range - and less expensive options requiring extensive fabrication that most people are not capable of completing - or completing correctly... I figured that your average Mustanger would be much happier with the results of an upgraded Live Axle than a fabricated IRS when you factor in the associated costs.

In racing, you are only limited by your budget and imagination - I guess I was talking about us regular "Ham and Eggers" - and I've seen Carlos Sparacio get plenty of bite with the live axle - although in a race series that doesn't allow the IRS swap and doesn't have pit stops.

Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriceFord View Post
I'm with you on this Squidd, but my comment was intended for the masses... with aftermarket kits enabling you to spend into the $9000+ range - and less expensive options requiring extensive fabrication that most people are not capable of completing - or completing correctly... I figured that your average Mustanger would be much happier with the results of an upgraded Live Axle than a fabricated IRS when you factor in the associated costs.

In racing, you are only limited by your budget and imagination - I guess I was talking about us regular "Ham and Eggers" - and I've seen Carlos Sparacio get plenty of bite with the live axle - although in a race series that doesn't allow the IRS swap and doesn't have pit stops.

I agree whole heartedly that as far as outright performance goes and the availability of pre-engineered parts/kits available for the solid axle going IRS would be because you have the fabrication skills and equipment and a healthy dose of “I like to do things different”. Which translates into “I like doing it the hard way”. I would never suggest to someone that they should consider an IRS swap. I’m just considering it because of its advantages, I have the infrastructure to do it and I just like my stuff to be outside the box.:kooky:

Waiting on 2019 GT500

PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
I agree whole heartedly that as far as outright performance goes and the availability of pre-engineered parts/kits available for the solid axle going IRS would be because you have the fabrication skills and equipment and a healthy dose of “I like to do things different”. Which translates into “I like doing it the hard way”. I would never suggest to someone that they should consider an IRS swap. I’m just considering it because of its advantages, I have the infrastructure to do it and I just like my stuff to be outside the box.:kooky:
If you had been the OP, I would have answered appropriately - but for most people asking this question, the answer should be pre-empted with a couple clarifying quesitons like: how many unfinished projects do you currently have sitting on your kitchen table or parked in your yard? If greater than zero, the answer is NO unless you can answer question 2 "Yes"... Question 2: Do you find that you have entirely too much money in your bank account and need to find an easy method of redistributing some of your wealth?
Apprentice

Gents,

Sorry for reviving an old thread but recent press releases got my gears grinding on this topic again. I've been doing some digging but am currently unable to confirm details and was curious if anyone else had solid information. I know the 2015 will have IRS; I'm just curious if it's still going to be built on the D2C platform. Ultimately the goal would be frame rails, etc matching up and being able to mate the IRS parts from the 2015 relatively easily to a S-197.

Now that I've got the turbo installed (which I still owe you guys a write-up on ) the next phase is suspension before the ultimate goal of built motor gets started on and I would LOVE to have an IRS option that doesn't break the bank or keep the car down forever. Whatya guys think?

D

In life you must learn from the mistakes of others because you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

01 Black GT, traded up for
05 Black GT: California Dream hood, intercooled Turbo Horsepower Single kit (61mm) GT500 twin fuel pump, 60 lb injectors, Steeda CMCV deletes, Autolite HT0's, FlowMaster Super 44's, MGW shifter, J&M Xtreme joint adjustable UCA, LCA, and Panhard, Eibach Mult-Pro R2 coilovers with MM CC plates and bumpsteer kit, Eibach sway bar kit.
Banned

You're not the only one keeping a close eye on the 2015 keeping their fingers crossed for an easy IRS retrofit. If it turns out the new Mustang rear swaps over relatively easy I'm gonna be all about it.

Add to that SLA front suspension and I'd be in heaven!

I basically want a Mustang that can do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok1WUO3p1oQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page