catted vs off road x pipe - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
catted vs off road x pipe

I am looking at getting a pypes long tube headers and a off road shorty x pipe package for my 05 gt. What would be the reason for buying a catted x pipe? Is it for vehicle inspection purposes?

2012 Performance white/saddle premium 6mt 5.0 with HID's, Reverse sensing, Reverse camera, comfort package, 3.73's, black billet upper/lower grille, smoked headlight covers, Pypes black AB's, Eleanor style louvers, Eibach pro kit springs, PP wheels, 19" nickel painted (winter) wheels WeatherTech floor liners, infinity kappa 682.9cf front speakers..
TRADED -2012 Lava Red Metallic v6 Premium:
Mustang Club of America, Performance package, HIDs, Reverse Sensor/Security package, Comfort Package...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010

The cats will help quiet down the exhaust. The X pipes tend to bring out some rasp in the exhaust note, especially on a chambered muffler. On a can muffler, they sound sweet. I run Bassani LT's, O/R X and Bassani cat backs on my 04 and it sounds sick IMO. The cats will allow to pass emissions in some states but not others. Give us a call if you have any questions.

Old 02-05-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to RedMosesSC
OR mid pipes are LOUD and stinky, they tend to be mind numbing from drone on long highway trips. I have a magnaflow catted X and its plenty loud, far less restrictive than OEM cats and still passes inspection.

YouTube - 2007 Mustang GT Rev & Idle Magnaflow catted X Flowmaster FRPP HotRod Cams 560 RPM idle

2006 Saleen S281 SC #1247 || Screaming Yellow || Scenic Roof || Watts Link || 3.6 Pulley || Extreme CAI || 39# Inj || Autolite HT .030 || JDM tune || Steeda F&R Sway Bars w/ Billet Mounts, adj UCA & LCA's || Magnaflow catted X Pipe || MGW ||

Old 02-06-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
If you have emissions testing you'd want the catted pipe.

1965 Mustang Coupe
Old 02-06-2010
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socasam View Post
What would be the reason for buying a catted x pipe? Is it for vehicle inspection purposes?
I have cats so my car doesn't sound like I'm 16

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
Old 02-06-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
I ended up pulling my cats after they plugged but I ended up adding resonators to tone it down.

1965 Mustang Coupe
Old 09-18-2010
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Hey I'm sixteen and I run x pipe no cats loud and proud lol but anyway for inspection purposes u want cats and if u want a little more peace and quiet

91 5.0 Notch-Canfield 192, tfs 1, track heat intake, 1.6RRs, Eibach springs, MM full length subframes,freshly rebuilt 8.8, x pipe super 44s thru tails, Nitto NT555Rs

hoping for 13's!

94 Exploder DD - custom rotted rockers, 4x4, custom ripped seats, broken door handles.
best time 9.94 @ 152
Old 09-18-2010
PONY Member

Send a message via AIM to solidhex
Well to be technical, under Federal law, you can't move or manipulate the cats without proving that they were damaged or stolen, unless it's a off-road car.

That being said, a catted X pipe would pass most emissions tests (but perhaps not a visual test) depending on your state.

Splice in X pipes are a popular 50 state legal compromise since it leaves the stock cats in place.

6spd 2012 Grabber Blue GT Premium 401A
3.73 rear-end
HID headlamps & security package
Old 09-18-2010
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

When I did the LT thing I started out with O/R x-pipe. Couldn't here myself think, not that I do alot of that. Added high flow cats and really cleaned up the sound and made it livable in the car. The car is still loud when I get on it and sounds aggressive even at cruising speeds. With LTs and an x-pipe you won't want chambered mufflers. I ended up with Pype Bombs because the Violators were too much.

Forged bottom end, Ported heads, Saleen super charger, 2.8 blower pulley/15psi, Dual stage water to air intercooler, AFCO heat exchanger, battery relocated, Twin GT500 fuel pumps, T-56 trans, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff, TA Performance rear end girdle, Racecraft suspension system, UCA, LCA, panhard bar, 15" slotted front rotors w/ 6 piston calipers, Carbon Fiber front splitter/rear diffuser, and bunch of other stuff
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
Old 09-19-2010
SheizaSoSay

I had an offoad xpipe on my car when I bought (didn't know though) and it was loud as hell. I bought some pipes hiflow cats (cermaic substrate) and it quited it down a lot, I am pretty sure it did impact the car's performance a tad. Unless I equated loud with fast I am fairly certain it did slow it. Before I put those cats on I was that Ahole that woke everybody up when I went to work in the morning, don't be that guy, it's genuinely loud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in