Has Anyone Installed the FR500S Radiator Air Deflector Kit? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Has Anyone Installed the FR500S Radiator Air Deflector Kit?

The Ford Racing price of $145 seems a bit steep but I think I could fabricate something similar myself. The part number is M-8310-A and I've attached a picture. I assume it would aid in cooling but I'm curious as to whether it improves overall aerodynmics too. Sqidd, I know you had done research into proper angles etc and planned on doing something similar. Did you ever get around to it?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M-8310-A.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	90268  

2007 Vista Blue GT Convertible
More mods than are readily apparent and that my wife knows about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07vistavert View Post
The Ford Racing price of $145 seems a bit steep but I think I could fabricate something similar myself. The part number is M-8310-A and I've attached a picture. I assume it would aid in cooling but I'm curious as to whether it improves overall aerodynmics too. Sqidd, I know you had done research into proper angles etc and planned on doing something similar. Did you ever get around to it?

That is a waste of money. Do something yourself.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Are you having a cooling problem? if not forget it and spend your cash on something worth while

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
That is a waste of money. Do something yourself.

I agree, if you want to have one, just make it urself. Shouldnt be difficult

CURRENT: 2011 Silver SVT Raptor Screw with tons of goodies.

WTB: 2011-2012 Black GT500 (June/July)

SOLD: 09 Dark Candy Apple Red GT (465 rwhp, 450 torque) ... lots of mods...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

I've done enough metal work that I'm sure I could duplicate these. My question is: does anyone know if there is an aerodynamic benefit?

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Looks like added wieght to me.

Forged bottom end, Ported heads, Saleen super charger, 2.8 blower pulley/15psi, Dual stage water to air intercooler, AFCO heat exchanger, battery relocated, Twin GT500 fuel pumps, T-56 trans, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff, TA Performance rear end girdle, Racecraft suspension system, UCA, LCA, panhard bar, 15" slotted front rotors w/ 6 piston calipers, Carbon Fiber front splitter/rear diffuser, and bunch of other stuff
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07vistavert View Post
I've done enough metal work that I'm sure I could duplicate these. My question is: does anyone know if there is an aerodynamic benefit?
If done correctly yes. You want to seal the face of the A/C condenser (or radiator) to the back side of the grill opening on all four sides so the only place air going through the grill can go is through the radiator. This will reduce front end lift dramatically because it is reducing the amount of air getting into the engine compartment. Stock there is probably more air going around the radiator than through it. If it is sealed well at all the air going through the grill will pile up in front of the radiator and create a pressure front (think traffic jam) that extends to the front side of the grill. At that point the radiator will move as much air as is possible and because the pressure front, which is in effect near dead air (kind of like a boundary layer) mimics there being a sealed flat surface in front of the grill a majority of the air (everything that does not pass through the radiator) hitting the front of the car will go up and over the hood creating downforce.

The radiator will cool much more efficiently

There will be far less air in the engine compartment putting lift on the hood.

There will be more air going up and over the hood creating more downforce

And if you are running a heat exchanger for a S/C in the lower opening you want to do the same thing.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Sqidd,

Thanks for your informative post. I knew I could count on you for a considered and complete response.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

If you do this remember also that there has to be a pressure difference for air to flow. If you build up a high pressure area in front of the radiator there has to be a low pressure area behind it. If not the air built up in front will go to the lowest pressure area it can find. If it is over the car thats where it will go, to the sides, same thing. If you notice alot of manufacturers put a spoiler under the front bumper. That is to stall the air getting under the car and create a low pressure area in the engine compartment and behind the radiator. The vented hoods like the GT500 enable you to almost seal the bottom of the engine compartment and reduce the turbulent draggy air that gets under there. The vents ensure a low pressure area in the engine compartment that reduces lift and lets as much air as possible go thru the radiator instead of around it. A well designed vented hood will create a suction as air goes over the vent and create low pressure. That is why the NACA duct was invented. GA

05GT, 09 GT500 Drivetrain, 2.6 pulley, JLT intake, 18x9.5 GT500 wheels, 14" Brembos, 2014 rear brakes, 14 cooling fan, Cortex racing Koni Coilovers, Cortex Watts Link BMR:K-Member, Tube rad support, adj upper third link, rear relo brackets,JBA long tubes and catted mid pipe, Stillen adj front & rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, Steeda shifter, Spydershaft Aluminum DS.
John Lund tune, 568 rwhp, 560 tq.
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyalpusa View Post
If you do this remember also that there has to be a pressure difference for air to flow. If you build up a high pressure area in front of the radiator there has to be a low pressure area behind it. If not the air built up in front will go to the lowest pressure area it can find. If it is over the car thats where it will go, to the sides, same thing. If you notice alot of manufacturers put a spoiler under the front bumper. That is to stall the air getting under the car and create a low pressure area in the engine compartment and behind the radiator. The vented hoods like the GT500 enable you to almost seal the bottom of the engine compartment and reduce the turbulent draggy air that gets under there. The vents ensure a low pressure area in the engine compartment that reduces lift and lets as much air as possible go thru the radiator instead of around it. A well designed vented hood will create a suction as air goes over the vent and create low pressure. That is why the NACA duct was invented. GA
A perfect example of why the 2010 GT has a "belly pan" that goes from the bumper cover to the K-member that incorporates a small vertical spoiler at the leading edge and a louvered section behind it. It creates a low pressure zone (or LOWER pressure then the 05-09 setup) behind and under the radiator that pulls air out of the engine compartment. When I added the 2010 "belly pan" it almost eliminated hood movement up and past 150mph. And I was running a Cervini's grill that was wide open from headlight to headlight (at least twice the opening of the stock grill) so I was ingesting a massive amount of air through the front of the car.

When I reduced the grill opening to a stockish size the hood wouldn't even twitch.

When I switched over to the GT500 hood and did a kind of sloppy job of boxing the openings in I picked up a ton of top speed.

When the car comes back from paint the entire underside will have a belly pan with a small front vertical spoiler, louvers behind the radiator and K-member and the radiator/heat exchanger will be sealed to the back side of the openings in the bumper cover.

Im probably going to add a big section of louvers to my GT hood right behind the radiator or simply a big exhaust port (see Ford GT hood for reference) so when I run the car at the Maxton Mile I the spring I can exhaust as much air as possible. At 200mph the car is going to be like driving an aircraft carrier!

Waiting on 2019 GT500

PONY Member
S197 Member

How are you going to gear this car to get 200? Are you going to rev the motor to 7-8k or do you need that much with your gearing? Cant wait to see the underside when your done. Especially the rear from the tires back. GA

05GT, 09 GT500 Drivetrain, 2.6 pulley, JLT intake, 18x9.5 GT500 wheels, 14" Brembos, 2014 rear brakes, 14 cooling fan, Cortex racing Koni Coilovers, Cortex Watts Link BMR:K-Member, Tube rad support, adj upper third link, rear relo brackets,JBA long tubes and catted mid pipe, Stillen adj front & rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, Steeda shifter, Spydershaft Aluminum DS.
John Lund tune, 568 rwhp, 560 tq.
KDT
GT Member

Quote:
When I added the 2010 "belly pan" it almost eliminated hood movement up and past 150mph.
What is involved in adding the 2010 belly pan to an 05-09 with the stock front end? I would love to do this.

2008 Vapor Silver GT, 5 Spd Manual Brenspeed Stg 1 Edelbrock E Force, Liberty built 3650 trans w/26 spline input shaft, N2MB WOT Box, GT 500 Fuel System, Kooks Long Tubes, Dynotech Drive Shaft, 3:73 Gears, Steeda UCA & LCAs, BMR LCA Relocation Brackets, Exedy Mach 500 clutch, Nitto Drag Radials

"RWHP - enough to get from 0-95mph in 7.61 seconds"
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
How are you going to gear this car to get 200?
I hope to be able to do it with 650hp on pump gas. I know I can do it with race fuel and more boost but I want to be able to say I did it in DD form.

Quote:
Are you going to rev the motor to 7-8k or do you need that much with your gearing?
Oddly enough with a 3.55 and my relatively short tires (26.1") the top of 5th is [email protected],250rpm's. But I can rev the motor too 7,500rpm's all day log and that is 241mph. Of course it will never pull that much gear but the power should be nice and flat from about 5,000rpm's on up so I doubt I will have an issue getting it geared just right to hit the power peak like you would need to do with a NA car.

Quote:
Cant wait to see the underside when your done. Especially the rear from the tires back. GA
Me either. I'll probably park it upside down for the first week.:hihi: The guys at Agent 47 helped me out by telling me what pitfalls to look out for. I will be set up a lot like theirs is but my tailpipes are going to remain stock and the rear bumper cover will be notched about an inch between the tailpipes and the diffuser will sit in the notch and stick out past the bumper cover a touch so the airflow doesn't get screwed up from hitting the bottom edge of the bumper cover. The back edge of the diffuser will be the trailing edge of the bumper cover when looked at from the side.

Pic of Agent 47's setup attached

The Viper pic is kind of the idea of where the diffuser will terminate but not as severe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25a23fd639e0a3bd435f7fc30d31ef12.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	90681   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	1959
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	90684   Click image for larger version

Name:	agent 47.jpg
Views:	1341
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	90685  

Waiting on 2019 GT500

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page