Back From Pony Wars What Next - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Back From Pony Wars What Next

Guys I just got back from Pony Wars in Valdosta GA. I took 2nd place in the Pro 16 category. Best time was 11.88 at 118mph. I was wondering what to do next to get deeper in the 11s. Cams, Meziere water pump, Aluminum driveshaft. Would like to know best bang for the buck. Looking for mid to top end horse power not torque. With the Paxton I'm close to my torque limit at 420 maybe can go up 20 more but was told 450 was max on the stock block and that it's the torque that breaks things not HP. I'm currently at 460rwhp.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010
GT Member

A setof blower cams will definatly get you deep into the 11's and yield 30+RWHP. You could also do more with your suspension and not add power this would help a little.

Steeda Lightweight Radiator Support (05-10) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Also An upper control arm to go with your lowers. I was actually impressed by my 1 piece driveshaft compared to the heavy piece of crap two piece ford puts in our cars.

Another good option in the C&L intake manifold that would yield nice gains in the upper RPM ranges ith your blower without all the torque

2008 Mustang GT, On3Performance Turbo Kit 9 PSI, , LFP 4in One Piece DS, MMR Rear Coil Overs, Competition Engineering 3 Way ajustable Rear Shocks, WOT Box, 3:73 gears, B&M LCA

PB [email protected], [email protected]
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chips View Post
Guys I just got back from Pony Wars in Valdosta GA. I took 2nd place in the Pro 16 category. Best time was 11.88 at 118mph. I was wondering what to do next to get deeper in the 11s. Cams, Meziere water pump, Aluminum driveshaft. Would like to know best bang for the buck. Looking for mid to top end horse power not torque. With the Paxton I'm close to my torque limit at 420 maybe can go up 20 more but was told 450 was max on the stock block and that it's the torque that breaks things not HP. I'm currently at 460rwhp.
HP is calculated from TQ. I essence they are the same thing.

Your motor is far more likely to let go because of what is thought of as “HP”. The weak link I the bottom end is the rods. The faster you spin the motor the more unhappy the rods are. The stress on the rods is exponential, not linear. If your rods see a stress level of 5 (made up measurement) at 3,000rpm’s their stress level at 6,000rpm’s will not be 10. It will be more like 20.

Yes, HP will kill the shortblock. But only in combination with RPM’s. If you could make [email protected] the shortblock would probably hold up as well as they do at [email protected],200rpm. On the flipside if you are making 325hp and spin it too 7,500rpm’s it will most likely let go.

So at the end of the day what you want is TQ and gear it to use it effectively while keeping the RPM’s down…….or spring for a shortblock.

Then there is traction to consider also. A 325hp drag car that dead hooks a 6,000rpm clutch drop and runs a 1.4sec 60ft is far more likely to break parts (motor included) than a car like mine with 450hp, roadrace rubber and a stiff suspension that couldn’t pull under a 2sec 60ft if it had 1,000hp.:hihi:

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page