Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2006 Mustang GT-Oil pan gasket questions.

12K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  quiksilva 
#1 ·
My car has a small oil leak, as evidenced by a small spot of oil on my garage floor, beneath the oil pan. While under the car, and doing a close inspection, the oil appears to be seeping out of both sides of the oil pan. Has anyone else encountered this?
I was wondering if anyone out there has replaced the oil pan gasket themselves. Is this something that's pretty straight forward? Do I have to raise the engine or anything like that?

#2 ·
not sure but my oil pan dont need to lift unbolt appky gasket re bolt in a criss cross pattern

#3 ·
They are easy to fix. You won't need to move the motor. Take your time and seal the gasket to the pan and let it dry at least 12hrs before putting the pan back on. This will make it far less likely to squeeze out on you when you tighten it down. And the pan bolts don't need to be nearly as tight as you think they do. Look up the torque spec and follow it. Most gasket leaks are because they were over torqued and the gasket got damaged.

My favorite gasket sealer (and I think I have used them all) is the Ducati sealer. You can get it at any Ducati dealer. My second favorite is Yamabond (the grey stuff). In a pinch I will settle for Permatex (the grey one).

Back in the Fox body/5.0 days it was a nightmare!

#5 ·
They are easy to fix. You won't need to move the motor. Take your time and seal the gasket to the pan and let it dry at least 12hrs before putting the pan back on. This will make it far less likely to squeeze out on you when you tighten it down. And the pan bolts don't need to be nearly as tight as you think they do. Look up the torque spec and follow it. Most gasket leaks are because they were over torqued and the gasket got damaged.
My favorite gasket sealer (and I think I have used them all) is the Ducati sealer. You can get it at any Ducati dealer. My second favorite is Yamabond (the grey stuff). In a pinch I will settle for Permatex (the grey one).
There is no need to use gasket sealer on the "self sealing Ford gasket" Ford only recommends a small amount of sealer where the oil pan and timing chain come together. I would guess thats where your leak is anyway. If you apply gasket sealer on the self sealing gasket it will not "sit" correctly and leak like "hell". The 4.6 motor was designed to "reuse" the gaskets once taken apart.

#4 ·
Thanks Sqidd. I appreciate your input. I just hope I don't get tempted into buying a Ducati motorcycle. when I look for the sealer:winks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.