2006 Mustang gt fuel guage problem - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to aiminglow
2006 Mustang gt fuel guage problem

my fuel gauge has been actin weird. it started almost a year ago, just showing something anywhere in the range of 0 miles to e, to about 50 miles to e (the actual needle pretty much matched that as well). it did it once or twice, that was it.

within the past few months it started again, with a battery reset fixing it. now, its constantly movin between 0 miles up to the actual amount i have, mainly stickin at 0. battery reset didnt help this time at all. its sittin at 0. i'm thinkin the fuel sender is gone, but i want to see if anyone else had experience with something similar.

2006 Mustang GT: 5-speed (was auto)
Show: Hood scoop // Side Scoops // Louvers // GT500 Spoiler // Rear diffuser insert // Stripes // Mustang trunk letters // Interior goodies.
Go: JLT intake // J&M LCA's // J&M UCA // Strut tower brace // FRPP Front Lower Control Arm Brace // Pro 5.0 Shifter with MGW blue striped shift ball.
Flow: Flowmaster American Thunders.
Stereo: Pioneer DEH 2200ub.
Oh and of course, the lead foot mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

It has happend to my car a few times. Ford blames it on high sulphur gas gunking up the sensor. Try adding seafoam to your tank.
It's not uncommon.
Or, worst case, it is your sending unit.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

yeh i was readin about this b4. think the stp cleaner will do the same type of job, or is seafoam a lot better? always used the stp (haven't for a while and have noticed that this problem is more prevalant without the treatment).

Show: Hood scoop // Side Scoops // Louvers // GT500 Spoiler // Rear diffuser insert // Stripes // Mustang trunk letters // Interior goodies.
Go: JLT intake // J&M LCA's // J&M UCA // Strut tower brace // FRPP Front Lower Control Arm Brace // Pro 5.0 Shifter with MGW blue striped shift ball.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010
PONY Member

Ford recommends using Chevron Techron in the gas tank. Get a couple 20 oz. bottles. Run one with a full tank. Run next tank with just gas, Another 20 oz. bottle with a full tank of gas . Should take care of the problem. I use a bottle every 5K miles, never had a problem. Good for the rest of the fuel system too.

2006 GT Convertible - Screamin' Yellow, Black top & leather
Corsa exhaust
87 octane Brenspeed tune
6000K, 35 W BiXenon HID headlights (Retro-Solutions)
18" Fanblades
5 Speed w/MGW shifter
Nitto 555 G2 tires
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Likely just a sticking sending unit. Seafoam or Berryman's B-12 Chemtool will work.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

well after the gauge jumping between 100+ miles to 0, it finally made its way up on the way home lol

broke down on the way to the gas station. my dad swung by with some gas, i filled up n threw some stp in there. im gonna try this out. i used to use the stuff, then just stopped. if it acts fine after usin the additive again, i'll stick with it. thanks for the suggestions everyone!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

update: not 100% sure yet if its fixing the problem, but i threw some seafoam in there friday. so far the amount of gas i have left on the gauge is about right. if threw me off this morning cuz it started off sayin i had only 10 miles to e, then 0, then it went up to the right amount and its slowly gettin steady.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page