what wheel size works best for my 2006 Mustang GT? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

what wheel size works best for my 2006 Mustang GT?

I am having a problem deciding what wheels to go with for my 2006 GT. I have come down to the Foose Legend Wheels, but I am not sure if I would like to go with the 18" or 20". My car already has a steeda front suspension kit on it, so it sits slightly lower than stock. Has anyone had any luck with either of these sizes, possibly pictures?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Rockin' Blue's
I would suggest the 18" looks the best on the S197's , IMO

[LEFT]"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government " Thomas Jefferson

There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
( Outlaw Josey Wales )

My Ride : " Buster " 2007 Vista Blue GT
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010
PONY Member

I have 20's, but I would reccomend 18's, you have a LOT more tire choices, and the tires aren't as expensive. I'm running P275 35's R20's. It corners great, but traction aint for crap.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

18s will give you a better ride then the 20s.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010
PONY Member

I have 20's and really really like them. Its all personal preference really. the ride wont be much different but if you want to take your car to the strip then id do 18's

the pics are of my 20in rims 8.5 in wide in the front and 10 in wide in the back, no turning radius isses, riding on low profile tires. I dont think you would see huge drivability issues. My car is very stiff but my suspensions isnt anywhere close to stock. lowered 20's are the best looking wheels on these cars in my opinion...

Id suggest shopping around looking at prices and styles. If you like a full wheel welll and lots of metal, 20's if u like rubber 18's. Keep in mind ur uses for the car, if ur going to the strip, 18's if a DD then its pretty much personal preference. you will spend more money on 20's and the tire selections are not as great but still extremely good.

Anyways, get what you think looks best. You probably will go over budget on wheels but that is norm a good thing. Because if ur going to pay that kind of money, get exactly what you want so you wont change down the road.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19580_1367752432684_1197891949_31075054_1212912_n.jpg
Views:	11256
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	90750   Click image for larger version

Name:	19580_1367750672640_1197891949_31075049_5388014_n.jpg
Views:	9334
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	90751   Click image for larger version

Name:	19580_1367751872670_1197891949_31075053_5437497_n.jpg
Views:	1300
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	90752  

CURRENT: 2011 Silver SVT Raptor Screw with tons of goodies.

WTB: 2011-2012 Black GT500 (June/July)

SOLD: 09 Dark Candy Apple Red GT (465 rwhp, 450 torque) ... lots of mods...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

I think 18's look better on a lowered car. Most likely, they will offer you better performance as well.

FRPP hotrod cams, Steeda CMDP's, screaming yellow JLT CAI w/SCT tuner, screaming yellow Steeda powdercoated valve covers, FRPP 4.10's, Pypes LT w/hi-flow catted H, BMR LCA's, BMR strut tower brace, Mac axlebacks, Brenspeed dyno tune/shorty antenna/black 18x9.5 CS56 wheels
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

IMO the 20 inch wheel looks the best. I personally like the vehicle lowered on 20s. I've had nothing but 20s on my S197 cars (except my 2010) and never looked back. By the way, my OEM chrome 7 spoke Saleen wheels (20x9 and 20x10 with BFG KDWs 245/35 and 265/35s) and tires are for sale for a GREAT price. PM me if interested and good luck on your wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	l_72bfcb59174d0341ca1ac32dd7a3d03a.jpg
Views:	3209
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	90757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saleen at Drum4.JPG
Views:	14222
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	90759  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp thesaleen.bmp (900.1 KB, 1180 views)

2006 Saleen SC281 is Home of the S197 "L" Swap
2010 GT500 is sittin low and pretty quick
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang06girl View Post
I have 20's, but I would reccomend 18's, you have a LOT more tire choices, and the tires aren't as expensive. I'm running P275 35's R20's. It corners great, but traction aint for crap.
What tire brand are you running. BTW I've seen 18 inch tires that cost more than 20's in some cases. Just depends on what you are looking for.

2006 Saleen SC281 is Home of the S197 "L" Swap
2010 GT500 is sittin low and pretty quick
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownNBagged View Post
What tire brand are you running. BTW I've seen 18 inch tires that cost more than 20's in some cases. Just depends on what you are looking for.

that is an in general statement... but yes 18 inch rims can take some seriously sticky and pricey tires... just ask sqidd

SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andywalls View Post
just ask sqidd
I'm supprised he didn't say ROUND ONES. :hihi:

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelers View Post
I'm supprised he didn't say ROUND ONES. :hihi:
perfectly round... exact specs i want... cause im the man

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

all great suggestions but im basically running into the "6 one way, Half-dozen the other" problem. I am attempting to build my car so that it is unlike anyone else's around here. I dont want to fit into the norm, and as far as going to the track, i am planning on keeping the stock wheels to throw back on it (at least the rear)... the car is only driven locally unless takent o a show, and it is stored in the winter.. gotta love Illinois and its salty-roads half of the year. i am lookin basically at the foose legend packages on cruizinconcepts. i have only seen the packages for the 20", and the prices arent bad. Def. love the look of your black on red Andy and the a big fear of mine was if the wheels were going to stick out too far in the rear w the 10in wheels on the back.

As a side note and i hope everyone reads this... i went thru blueovalindustries.com to get a replacement stock wheel for my car after some illinois black ice caused me to damage one of my stock wheels... i got the best price from blueoval, but the customer service was TERRIBLE. I called the day after ordering the wheel to confirm that everything went through with the online purchase and was treated like an idiot for confirming the purchase by telephone as opposed to just what was shown online. I was told the customer service was terrible through them, but i did not believe my ears when talking to them. Again, best prices, worst CS!
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flostang11 View Post
all great suggestions but im basically running into the "6 one way, Half-dozen the other" problem. I am attempting to build my car so that it is unlike anyone else's around here. I dont want to fit into the norm, and as far as going to the track, i am planning on keeping the stock wheels to throw back on it (at least the rear)... the car is only driven locally unless takent o a show, and it is stored in the winter.. gotta love Illinois and its salty-roads half of the year. i am lookin basically at the foose legend packages on cruizinconcepts. i have only seen the packages for the 20", and the prices arent bad. Def. love the look of your black on red Andy and the a big fear of mine was if the wheels were going to stick out too far in the rear w the 10in wheels on the back.

As a side note and i hope everyone reads this... i went thru blueovalindustries.com to get a replacement stock wheel for my car after some illinois black ice caused me to damage one of my stock wheels... i got the best price from blueoval, but the customer service was TERRIBLE. I called the day after ordering the wheel to confirm that everything went through with the online purchase and was treated like an idiot for confirming the purchase by telephone as opposed to just what was shown online. I was told the customer service was terrible through them, but i did not believe my ears when talking to them. Again, best prices, worst CS!
Ah i now see what your going for. Just a few suggestions, 20 in wheels stick out plain and simple. They fully fill the wheel well and you can stagger them just like 18's. if you go for 20s or even 18s get them staggered. I would highly suggest 8-9 in wide in the front and 10 in wide in the back. Itll sit really mean and have that fat tire look from the rear. I kind of lost that look cause the roush rear valence is very low. You will not have tires sticking out I can assure you of that. They will look like the were made to be there and will give you a hell of a look that is unique to your car.

My rims are one of the things that define my car. I have never seen any mustang with the same rims as me and that is something I really like. The black on red is a look that I love, Im a die hard Georgia Bulldogs fan and love my red and black. I have built the car to look very unique so I completely understand what your going for.

Personally I feel that even though there are many nice rims that are 18" the fatter tires ruin the look. 20" rims with the low profile tires are just straight up sexy to me. New school not old school, I personally havent seen any drivability concerns like others post... it all comes down to the simple saying... you get what you pay for. If you go super cheap and get heavy ass rims, youll feel it. The stock rims are pretty heavy so if you shop around you can find very good rims for nothing outrageous. If I remember correctly I paid around 2.5- 3 grand for my rims AND tires. I got some really good summer tires and pretty light weight rims, much more then is needed.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. For a good seller, go to a kaufman tire or something similar and talk to who ever is in charge. I personally am good friends with the owner of my local kaufman tire and he really gave me a good selection and advise for my needs. I find most places where you meet with a rep face to face the customer service is better... Its alot harder to **** some1 over to their face then on the phone or internet.

I hope you can get some use out of the rambleing.

Happy modding

PONY Member

also if that is your silver stang in the profile pic, I would look at black rims. Nothing sexier then a blacked out silver stang!

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

that is mine... and black is exactly what im going to... great minds think alike, and as far as that all goes, you may have just talked me into the 20's bc i am not a huge fan of alot of rubber

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page