New CAI and 93 fuel tune question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

New CAI and 93 fuel tune question

Hi, I just got a CAI and an SCT tunner with a 93 octane custom tune for my 08 GT. Currently running stock on 87 fuel. The question is, should I wait for the tank to be near empty and fill it with 93 octane fuel and then do the CAI installation and the new tune or can I just install and do the tune and next time I fill the tank?

Thanks

2008 GT Premium Alloy Metallic
Steeda CAI w/Carbon Fiber elbow, BBK 62mm Twin TB, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, 3.55 Gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

You don't want to take it near empty, or you'll pick up all the sediment at the bottom of your tank. Don't expect much from that tune, it's just a canned tune file made from another car like yours. Also just a CAI and canned tune, you'll never feel full potential until you have YOUR CAR CUSTOM DYNO TUNED, Mike. SCT Tuner.

70 BOSS,with a 71 429 SCJ 8.0:1 compression with an F-3 Pro Charger and 39lbs. of boost. Rectangular Tube Chassis, Custom 17" Magnum 500 Wheels. Just way too much to list, but what a ride. P.S. Hang on tight!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010
PONY Member

Just wait til your close to empty and fill it up with premium. If your really anal then wait for that tank to almost run out and then fill it again and install and tune. Canned tunes are fine for a CAI youll feel plenty of power. Id wait until you get a few more mods before dyno tuning.

Enjoy

CURRENT: 2011 Silver SVT Raptor Screw with tons of goodies.

WTB: 2011-2012 Black GT500 (June/July)

SOLD: 09 Dark Candy Apple Red GT (465 rwhp, 450 torque) ... lots of mods...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010
Rookie

Yea, I used to believe the hype about how horrible canned tunes are, but I had my car dynoed and it did really well with a canned AM tune when it only had a JLT CAI on it. Air/Fuel ratio was good, etc.

Maybe a really good custom tuner can eck out a few more hp, but is it worth all that money for 4rwhp?

It would be very interesting to see a canned tune versus custom on the same car with only a CAI.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member

+1, you can have a quarter tank left and fill with premium. the tunes aren't that aggressive where a little 87 octane mixed with 91 or 93 will hurt anything. Does the job till you get more mods, like mentioned.

2014 Mustang GT, A6, Grabber Blue
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Yea, I used to believe the hype about how horrible canned tunes are, but I had my car dynoed and it did really well with a canned AM tune when it only had a JLT CAI on it. Air/Fuel ratio was good, etc.

Maybe a really good custom tuner can eck out a few more hp, but is it worth all that money for 4rwhp?

It would be very interesting to see a canned tune versus custom on the same car with only a CAI.
when i got my 05 dyno'd, i had a brenspeed tune and my tuner said if i got a dyno tune, i would pick up about 10rwhp. 10 is nice but not worth paying 150 to get that.
Oh, that's with full bolt on's and comp stage 3 cams. so they were pretty close on the tune.

2014 Mustang GT, A6, Grabber Blue
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chr0m4k3y View Post
Hi, I just got a CAI and an SCT tunner with a 93 octane custom tune for my 08 GT. Currently running stock on 87 fuel. The question is, should I wait for the tank to be near empty and fill it with 93 octane fuel and then do the CAI installation and the new tune or can I just install and do the tune and next time I fill the tank?

Thanks
Run your tank fairly low then fill up on 93 and drive a little more before installing your CAI and uploading your tune. Just make sure you drive enough on the tank of 93 to get the 87 out of the fuel lines and get the 93 running into the engine and you should be good.

2008 Grabber Orange GT premium, 5 speed manual, 3.31s
C&L Racer CAI, Kooks LT headers and catted H pipe, MAC Boom Tubes, Diablosport Predator Tuner with AM/Bama Tunes

Heroes Live Forever
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

tank is near half full guess I'll drive it a little more and fill it with 93 before installing the CAI and the tune.

thanks for the answers guys!

2008 GT Premium Alloy Metallic
Steeda CAI w/Carbon Fiber elbow, BBK 62mm Twin TB, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, 3.55 Gears
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
1/8th full is fine.

1965 Mustang Coupe
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

And there better not be any junk in the bottom of your tank. Maybe that what you find on the older classic Stangs......

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
cai 93 custom tune

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page