GT or GT500 is the question - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

After taking into consideration many factors, I have decided to keep my GT Vert-5peed and do some mods. I appreciate all the input and will continue to ask questions on this forum.

I will now start searching to find people out there with the Edelbrock, Saleen, Kenne Bell, or ProCharger S/Cs on their cars with the stock internals. These are the S/Cs I have taken a liking to for one reason or the other. I would like to find out how many miles they people have on them, how much HP they put to the ground, timeslips or examples of cars on average that they can beat.

My biggest concern at this point is making as much power as I can without risking blowing my motor. I hear the "magic" not to go over is 450rwhp. Is that right?

It is going to be interresting to find out how many people have been running blowers on their stock internals and for how long? If I start finding a lot of people destroying their stock motors, then that could send me back to a GT500 all over again...

2011 GT premium - Sterling Grey Metallic
M/T, Brembo package, all options sans glass roof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

450 rwhp is more than enough for a street car, any more and it's just done for dyno numbers. It's easy to get carried away when we read about the wild builds done in magazines. If you can plant 450 then you can dust off most cars on the road. There will allways be something a little faster out there.

Forged bottom end, Ported heads, Saleen super charger, 2.8 blower pulley/15psi, Dual stage water to air intercooler, AFCO heat exchanger, battery relocated, Twin GT500 fuel pumps, T-56 trans, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff, TA Performance rear end girdle, Racecraft suspension system, UCA, LCA, panhard bar, 15" slotted front rotors w/ 6 piston calipers, Carbon Fiber front splitter/rear diffuser, and bunch of other stuff
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
KDT
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolVERT07 View Post
After taking into consideration many factors, I have decided to keep my GT Vert-5peed and do some mods. I appreciate all the input and will continue to ask questions on this forum.

I will now start searching to find people out there with the Edelbrock, Saleen, Kenne Bell, or ProCharger S/Cs on their cars with the stock internals. These are the S/Cs I have taken a liking to for one reason or the other. I would like to find out how many miles they people have on them, how much HP they put to the ground, timeslips or examples of cars on average that they can beat.

My biggest concern at this point is making as much power as I can without risking blowing my motor. I hear the "magic" not to go over is 450rwhp. Is that right?

It is going to be interresting to find out how many people have been running blowers on their stock internals and for how long? If I start finding a lot of people destroying their stock motors, then that could send me back to a GT500 all over again...
You are at the point I was several months ago when I was trying to decide on which supercharger to get. I did a ton of research. I wanted the Saleen kit for a while before deciding on either the Vortec or Paxton with an air to air intercooler or the Edelbrock E Force. As you know I ended up with the Edelbrock and couldn't be happier. There were several specific reasons I chose the Edelbrock over everything else. There is always some risk when boosting up the power but I believe if you get it tuned correctly, and don't rev the motor to death, it will live well. I know of several Mustangs running around with over 500rwhp on the stock short block. One that I know of is at 517 and has been there for close to 20K miles and one other is at 505 and has been at that level for over 50K! I just don't want to push mine quite that much. My goal was around 450rwhp and I ended up with 456 STD. The main reason I went with a positive displacement over the centrifugal was the fact that I don't have to rev the engine high to get into the power. The torque is right there off idle instantly. In fact, I have my shift light set at 5600rpms and almost never see it flash. Like I said before, I think you will be surprised at how well the car performs at the 400 to 450 rwhp level. It will be capable of taking out most everything you run into on the road. There will always be somebody faster no matter what you do but like I told someone the other day, if I get out run, its going to take a seriously fast car to do it and there will be no shame on my end. You might want to call some of the vendors and ask some questions about different options you can take. I called just about everyone out there and learned right quick who I would buy from and who I would not. I ended up using Brenspeed and couldn't be more satisfied. I was also very impressed with JDM when I talked with them. I would put those two at the top of my list. I would have to put Kenne Bell at the bottom but that's another story all together.

2008 Vapor Silver GT, 5 Spd Manual Brenspeed Stg 1 Edelbrock E Force, Liberty built 3650 trans w/26 spline input shaft, N2MB WOT Box, GT 500 Fuel System, Kooks Long Tubes, Dynotech Drive Shaft, 3:73 Gears, Steeda UCA & LCAs, BMR LCA Relocation Brackets, Exedy Mach 500 clutch, Nitto Drag Radials

"RWHP - enough to get from 0-95mph in 7.61 seconds"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page