Question about supercharger with longtubes? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Question about supercharger with longtubes?

Is it better to just leave your stock manifolds with a supercharger or get longtubes? I know i will need to have it re-tuned with them but will it be worth the boost loss with the LT headers?

Roush Front Bumper w/ Black Splitter, Cervinis Eleanor Window Louvers, AM Black Thrust Deep Dish 20" wheels, Halo Headlights w/ LEDs, Cervinis Eleanor Hood, and Billet upper grill, BBK LTs w/ Catted X pipe, SLP Loudmouth Axle Back Exhaust, GMS Pro Series Coil Packs, Vortech Supercharger, Snow Performance Water/Meth Injection, Hurst Short-throw, and Auto Meter Boost, Oil Press., and Air/Fuel Ratio Gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010
Banned
4.6L Member

Wow this is a well hashed out discussion, you might look at the search to see prior takes on this...I have long tubes with my kenne bell, there is no loss of boost, I work under the old addage of "more air in means more air out" long tubes clearly move the air out more efficiently, not to mention they sound awesome.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Your just making the exhaust more efficient and still making the same power or more with say...13psi instead of 14psi. You'll be fine either either route.

2014 Mustang GT, A6, Grabber Blue

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010
KDT
GT Member

Boy this is going to be good!

2008 Vapor Silver GT, 5 Spd Manual Brenspeed Stg 1 Edelbrock E Force, Liberty built 3650 trans w/26 spline input shaft, N2MB WOT Box, GT 500 Fuel System, Kooks Long Tubes, Dynotech Drive Shaft, 3:73 Gears, Steeda UCA & LCAs, BMR LCA Relocation Brackets, Exedy Mach 500 clutch, Nitto Drag Radials

"RWHP - enough to get from 0-95mph in 7.61 seconds"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Ok what if i decided to put LT's on and wanted to go from a 3.8 to a 3.6 pulley would that be ok as well?

Roush Front Bumper w/ Black Splitter, Cervinis Eleanor Window Louvers, AM Black Thrust Deep Dish 20" wheels, Halo Headlights w/ LEDs, Cervinis Eleanor Hood, and Billet upper grill, BBK LTs w/ Catted X pipe, SLP Loudmouth Axle Back Exhaust, GMS Pro Series Coil Packs, Vortech Supercharger, Snow Performance Water/Meth Injection, Hurst Short-throw, and Auto Meter Boost, Oil Press., and Air/Fuel Ratio Gauges
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I don't see why not. Going from stock 5-6psi to about 8psi, as long as you have a great tune and the internals can handle it, should be fine.
So....no comment KDT since you have an E-Force on your car??:yelpleased:

2014 Mustang GT, A6, Grabber Blue
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010
KDT
GT Member

Quote:
So....no comment KDT since you have an E-Force on your car??
I knew I would get drug into this! LOL. I believe they benefit a NA car more than one with FI. When I was NA, I could not have gotten to 328rwhp without them. However, since adding a supercharger I believe the advantage they give decreases somewhat. I think the supercharger pushes the exhaust out negating the scavenging affect created by the long tubes. I'm not saying they are not worth it on a car with FI but they aren't going to help like they will on a NA car. My tuner did tell me that the cylinders will run a tad cooler on a FI car if it has LTs. He says that helps prevent detonation. I am not claiming this as fact though. I would definitely still buy them again even if I was already supercharged. They sound great and certainly aid in efficiency. I feel they are worth an average of 10rwhp on a FI car and around 20 on a NA car. I don't have evidence to prove this but I have figured this out from looking at numerous dyno graphs.

:yelpleased:

2008 Vapor Silver GT, 5 Spd Manual Brenspeed Stg 1 Edelbrock E Force, Liberty built 3650 trans w/26 spline input shaft, N2MB WOT Box, GT 500 Fuel System, Kooks Long Tubes, Dynotech Drive Shaft, 3:73 Gears, Steeda UCA & LCAs, BMR LCA Relocation Brackets, Exedy Mach 500 clutch, Nitto Drag Radials

"RWHP - enough to get from 0-95mph in 7.61 seconds"
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheizaSoSay View Post
That link brings back memories of yet another educational moment from sqidd.

Yeah, I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in yet.

2007 GT, 5 speed, Paxton 2200
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

It all comes down to your pushing more air in and you need to get it out. So if your trying to push water through a 1" hose and have a 1/2" hose hooked to it you are going to only get 1/2" of water out of it, and boost is a measure of restriction you will see how you will have more boost.
Now if you have a 1" connected to another 1'' you will have less pressure or boost but better water flow.

It all comes down to Volume of air you push into the engine. The more you put in you need to get rid of it so LT headers help what you put in to get out.

If you look here on the Whipple Supercharge web page you will see the chart that lists the different SCs and in the second line you will see the SCs are rated by Liters (volume).
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1162

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page