Looking to make a Show Car, just a few questions! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Question Looking to make a Show Car, just a few questions!

Hey Guys! I'm looking to transform my Black '06 GT Vert from a sexy ride to a pure head turner. I would like to put the 2 racing stripes down the middle in either a Merlot, or Black Cherry, but can't decide to go vinyl or paint. If I go paint I'd like a silver pearlescent clear coat, but i don't want to spend a million bucks on it either. Any thoughts?
Secondly, I'm looking to replace the interior trim (brushed aluminum included) with wood, I've seen some 20 and 25 piece kits, but can;t tell if it actually REPLACES or is just "stick-on" I would prefer total replacement if anyone has leads on that option.
Lastly, is there any way to replace the stock automatic shifter? I've seen the replacement kit offered here on the forums and it looks nice, however thats not really the direction i plan on going. I've seen the chrome accents sold, but no total replacement. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

If you're building a show car you're gonna want to look into custom work, things that are unique and "onee off" and definitely do paint stripes, but you better have a ton of cash, it costs major bucks to build a decent show car, and a lot more if you want award winning quality. Deep pocket territory.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Well, When I say "Show Car", for the time being I more mean local stuff i.e. Sitting in the wall mart parking lot with a lawn chair and cooler chatting with other enthusiasts. Not SEMA... yet. Testing the waters to see how much I enjoy it, and ending up with a great looking car without breaking the bank. Ya know?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010
Banned

so basically you're looking to do only cosmetic mods
show cars are expensive custom projects that are nothing more than expensive moving billboards. Most are sponsored and often go to shows for money. They're extensively modified.

There are no replacement dash kits, they would be custom and VERY expensive. Real wood dash is something you find in cars costing well over two GT500s.

You will break many different banks building a real show car. What it sounds like you're wanting is just a car that jumps for attention. Since you'll be doing the same thing as everyone else head on over to one of the sponsors sites, they all have plenty of stuff to "customize" a car with.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010
PONY Member

TCI is the only replacement shifter that I know of. Takes like 30 min to install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	201_4133.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	597.3 KB
ID:	92098  

06 Vista Blue Premium GT, Automatic, CDC Shaker Hood System, Pioneer AVIC Z2 DVD/ Navigation System with Rear View Camera, Rear Window Louvers, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, SHR Honeycomb Panel,SHR Flush Mount Louvers, Stainless Tail light Bezels, FRPP Stingers, 3D Carbon Side Scoops, C&L Street CAI, SCT X2 W/ 93 Street-Race Tune, Sequential Turn Signals, CDC Hood Struts, TCI Street Fighter Shifter

Member MCOH & MCA
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

if im not mistaken, and please chime in anybody please if im wrong, just playing off the pearlescent paint..... how about you do a ghost pearlescent color..... if you use a brighter color red what this will do is let the black show through and give it a "rich" looking color and still be dark because a dark color on black doesnt show up well unless ur right against the car basically.... so if you were to use a brighter red (not like lipstick red but just a little darker) it should be eye catching and look gorgeous up close.....

05 Mustang GT - Performance Mods - Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Diablosport Tuner, Eibach Multi-pro R-2 coilovers , Max. Motors. camber plates and bumpsteer
Appearance Mods - 20" Shelby Razor wheels (Gunmetal with polished lip), flat black fender stripes
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

also, like the other guys said, you can start getting deep into the pocket book if you start going crazy with mods.... the best piece of advice I could personally give is do what you like and not what someone else tells you to do.... ultimately its your car and your money, so why not make it how you want it...... no matter what you do you will have people at car shows that will give their "ewwwwsss " and "ahhhhhhs" and then you will hear the occasional ones that will say under their breath how much they dont like what you did or how much better it would have been if it was theirs, but one thing you will never hear is a fellow car lover that puts on car shows or is showing their car say that your car is not that nice or they dont like it because they are in the same position as you (pouring gobs of money into a car that fits them, not everyone else)....... so basically im saying do what makes you happy man and enjoy that pony man

05 Mustang GT - Performance Mods - Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Diablosport Tuner, Eibach Multi-pro R-2 coilovers , Max. Motors. camber plates and bumpsteer
Appearance Mods - 20" Shelby Razor wheels (Gunmetal with polished lip), flat black fender stripes
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
Paint is the way to go.....if the current body is in good enough shape, you might be able to get it done fairly cheap. A good wetsanding is all you need. (Again, if the black is in good shape) Then lay the stripes, and clearcoat over that. BUT, if you have dings, and scratches....you need to do a more invasive procedure....full on paint job.

But, if all you want to do is show it off to the local trailer park residents... (Walmart customers) then a set of vinyl stripes is WAAAAY easier, and cheaper. (Show off car vs show car).

2005 GT premium convertible. Crimson red leather, 18" w Falken rubber. Procharger P1 HO intercooled kit, GT500 throttle body, C&L intake manifold, Edelbrock shorties, Spec stage 3 clutch, Shelby shorty shifter, 3" Granatelli exhaust. Bilstein Shocks and struts, DBA rotors, Hawk pads, Ford Racing swaybars and springs, billet lower control arms, adjustable upper, adjustable panhard bar.

Corn fed.....523.2rwhp/513.9lbft
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

It sounds like you want to do cuise ins and car club type of shows. That's doable without going over the top. I have a friend with 2 award winning show cars he had 3 but sold one. To give you an idea on the cost, he bought a motor home and 2 Harleys from selling that 1 car. I had helped him with one of them and just about every part was fabricated or modified to work. The cost of crome alone is insane. A member of this site has a shifter on the market. Just PM blk281gt and he can send you info on what he has. Here is a link to a thread covering it https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...w-shifter.html
You definatly need to paint your stripes if you want custom. When doing stripes you'll need to think outside the box. Just about everyone has rally stripes, if you want it to stand out get creative. When I get ready to pull the trigger on mine I'm going to my cousine do custume airbrush work throughout the entire car, under hood, inside, and trunk. I'll let him come up with a theme, if you get a good artist use their creative abilities to your advantage for an out of the theme.

Forged bottom end, Ported heads, Saleen super charger, 2.8 blower pulley/15psi, Dual stage water to air intercooler, AFCO heat exchanger, battery relocated, Twin GT500 fuel pumps, T-56 trans, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff, TA Performance rear end girdle, Racecraft suspension system, UCA, LCA, panhard bar, 15" slotted front rotors w/ 6 piston calipers, Carbon Fiber front splitter/rear diffuser, and bunch of other stuff
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

also search a guy on here with the user name "booger" he has a very sharp looking stripe on his car.... its a mix of mopar and gm striping if you ask me.... its only on the hood(gm) and it has like slots sort of (mopar) it looks awesome.... its done on a carbon fiber hood and he had his painter mask off the hood to where the stripes are carbon fiber and the rest of the hood is the color of the car

Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

pm blk281gt ask for info on automatic shifter replacement. He has a nice looking piece and he was thinking with standard pitch threads for multiple handle choices

2006 V6 VERT MODIFIED/DAILY/YEAR ROUND DRIVER.
K&N FILTER W/CAI, 70MM THROTTLE BODY SPACER W/OE BODY PORTED TO MATCH.
T-304 STAINLESS SHORTY HEADERS WITH DYNOMAX AXLE BACK. NOT DUALED YET
AMERICAN MUSCLE SCT SF3 TUNER
CROSS DRILLED AND SLOTTED ROTORS W/ WAGNER THERMOQUIET PADS FRONT AND REAR.
COBRA 17'S W/235'S FRONT AND 255'S REAR.
SEQUENTIAL TAILS W/DUAL HALO HEADLIGHTS AND CLEAR FRONT TURN LENS AND A WHOLE LOT OF SMALL TOUCHES THAT MAKE IT MY "ONE OFF"
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TheKurgan
Good luck trying to win car shows with a black car and the factory paint job. I gave that up a long time ago. Black just shows way too much for the judges not to notice.

If they play, I spray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page