Cleaning the cold air intake - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Cleaning the cold air intake

On the can to re-oil the air intake, there's a disclaimer that you have to properly measure the amount of oil to put on, and blah blah blah. The whole thing sounds like a plug for you to buy their oil measurer from sbfilters.com, saying "DO NOT OIL FILTER UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPERLY MEASURED AMOUNT OF OIL. YOU MUST GET A SCALE FROM US" And at the bottom it says "do not oil filter excessively"

Have any of you bothered with getting the oil scale thing?

Sent from a lumpy rock in my lawn using Hammer & Chisel
Over: 2008 GT Premium, Black, Smoked out LED taillights, Roush window louvers, Cervinis Type IV ram air hood & hood struts, Ford Racing FR500s axlebacks, Cravenspeed stubby antenna, CDC Classic chin spoiler
Under: JLT 3 Intake with Brenspeed tune, Koni shocks & struts, J&M Extreme rear LCA's, J&M adj panhard bar, Strut tower brace, Charcoal AMR wheels, Conti Extreme DW tires 255/45/18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Not needed. Just lightly coat unitl the fabric is evenly colored and you'll be fine.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Thanks!
Should it be completely dry when you touch the outside or a tiny bit of oil residue? Will the car explode if you put too much on?

Over: 2008 GT Premium, Black, Smoked out LED taillights, Roush window louvers, Cervinis Type IV ram air hood & hood struts, Ford Racing FR500s axlebacks, Cravenspeed stubby antenna, CDC Classic chin spoiler
Under: JLT 3 Intake with Brenspeed tune, Koni shocks & struts, J&M Extreme rear LCA's, J&M adj panhard bar, Strut tower brace, Charcoal AMR wheels, Conti Extreme DW tires 255/45/18

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

It won't explode but you do run the risk of contaminating the MAF sensor if you over oil it.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

You don't want to over oil the filter, because you could get oil all over the MAF. Now if you don't ruin the MAF, due to excess oiling you'll be cleaning the MAF. Also if you have to clean the MAF, don't just use any electrical cleaner CRC makes a product just for cleaning the MAF. It comes in a silver grey can, and it's called CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner make sure that's the only thing you use to clean it with. Also make sure you allow the MAF, to air dry thoroughly or you could mess it up, or your car just won't start until it is dried, Mike. SCT Tuner.

70 BOSS,with a 71 429 SCJ 8.0:1 compression with an F-3 Pro Charger and 39lbs. of boost. Rectangular Tube Chassis, Custom 17" Magnum 500 Wheels. Just way too much to list, but what a ride. P.S. Hang on tight!!!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

TechSpray Blue Shower II, Blue Shower G3 cleaner and MG Chemical Super Wash are also great for cleaning a MAF sensor. You can also use 90% or higher Isopropol Alcohol.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Should the inside of the filter be the same color as the outside? I'm not spraying the inside, but going to let it soak through, so just curious if the inside should just barely be colored (the oil I have is blue-what Steeda sent me) or if it should be the dull grey that the filter naturally is.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

It should be lighter. If it soaks clean through, you've oiled it too much.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Ooops. I may have done it a titch too much :kooky:
Any way to clean it off? Or should I just get ready to clean off the MAF with that 90% isopropyl alcohol?

Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankor View Post
Ooops. I may have done it a titch too much :kooky:
Any way to clean it off? Or should I just get ready to clean off the MAF with that 90% isopropyl alcohol?
You would have to clean it again and reoil.

1965 Mustang Coupe
MACH I Member

Garage
Mark, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned the AEM Dryflow Filters. Getting ready to switch to them myself.

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapp View Post
Mark, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned the AEM Dryflow Filters. Getting ready to switch to them myself.
Oh? Sounds interesting! My filter is drying again after being cleaned again. I may want to get some alcohol to clean the sensor just to be safe anyway.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Any recommended ways to clean the MAF sensor with the alcohol? Just lightly coat it?

MACH I Member

Garage
CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner. Spray about 6" away from wires, they're delicate and can break by being to close and to much air pressure. Let dry and reinstall.

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

CRC... thanks! Just ordered some. I'm sure even if not from over-oiling, just age would warrant the sensor needing to be cleaned. I'll dake all your advice and be extra intensely careful with handling the sensor and spraying it lightly from 6 inches or so away. I'm assuming it's bad to spray the sensor while it's inside the intake.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page