Gears same o' pains - Ford Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
hailochild's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Dallas
Posts: 6
 
Gears same o' pains

Well I recorded this sound from the center of my console with my phone. Basically my friend installed some 4.10 in my 06 GT Mustang made a mistake(we didnt change original bearings) at 250 miles figured better check the pattern. When he got the rear end tore down said the pattern looked great changed out the bearings. My friend swears up and down he did to spec and now I am waiting on tomorrow to take it to a shop to pay someone to look at it. I wanted this to be a learning experience for the both us... I won't even lie. I knew this was a serious job going into it but I can't help wonder what to expect any ideas...should expect what I probably already know..a "bad install" or does it sound like something different it's only on deceleration or coasting in gear ...there is a all to slight sound when accelerating but you would have to have a great ear to hear it because its so faint. I compared with some videos on youtube he seems to think it may be relating to something with the axle.....ideas? also came across the tsb for something maybe related

Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Memo.mp3 (281.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: pdf tsb05_20_02_rear_axel_noise.pdf (10.6 KB, 66 views)
hailochild is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member
 
ddd76's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Louisville
Posts: 145
 
That sucks man ! I do almost all my own work, and have been terrified to try my own gear install, as it just seems that my luck would be yours ! Gonna put 3.73's in mine, I almost think I'd rather buy the whole rearend assy @ newtakeoff.com and swap the whole thing out myself, as opposed to trying to find someone to do a ring and pinion swap. Sorry to hear bout your misfortune, hope you get it all straightened out ! Good Luck !




2007 GT: Throttlebody, CAI, Ceramic coated LT's, off road x-pipe,flows, cmcv deletes, predator tuner w/Modular Depot custom tune , sequentials, other exterior mods

1993 Lightning: #949 Black
ddd76 is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member
 
rjporchia's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Magnolia
Posts: 44
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd76 View Post
That sucks man ! I do almost all my own work, and have been terrified to try my own gear install, as it just seems that my luck would be yours ! Gonna put 3.73's in mine, I almost think I'd rather buy the whole rearend assy @ newtakeoff.com and swap the whole thing out myself, as opposed to trying to find someone to do a ring and pinion swap. Sorry to hear bout your misfortune, hope you get it all straightened out ! Good Luck !
This sounds like a great idea. I want those gears so bad. I live in southwest Arkansas and don't know anybody that can do the install. I might have to buy the whole assembly myself.

Reggie P.
rjporchia is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
hailochild's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Dallas
Posts: 6
 
Maybe so I don't have to be so embarrassed I can just tell non mechanically inclined people it's supercharger in the meantime!
hailochild is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010
PONY Member
 
10/05gt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Grove City
Posts: 769
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hailochild View Post
Well I recorded this sound from the center of my console with my phone. Basically my friend installed some 4.10 in my 06 GT Mustang made a mistake(we didnt change original bearings) at 250 miles figured better check the pattern. When he got the rear end tore down said the pattern looked great changed out the bearings. My friend swears up and down he did to spec and now I am waiting on tomorrow to take it to a shop to pay someone to look at it. I wanted this to be a learning experience for the both us... I won't even lie. I knew this was a serious job going into it but I can't help wonder what to expect any ideas...should expect what I probably already know..a "bad install" or does it sound like something different it's only on deceleration or coasting in gear ...there is a all to slight sound when accelerating but you would have to have a great ear to hear it because its so faint. I compared with some videos on youtube he seems to think it may be relating to something with the axle.....ideas? also came across the tsb for something maybe related
I didn't listen to it but if it's only on decel or coast then the pinion bearing preload is incorrect. Some gears will natually make a little more noise in coast but if it's really loud then the install is wrong.

The pinion preload is the most common mistake most people make because crushing the crush sleeve is very difficult without having either Fords tool or making a tool to hold the flange. Unfortunately you are going to have to have the rear end disassembled to have the preload set. The preload can only be set properly with just the pinion gear in the housing.

"You can't fix stupid"

Tuned by PowerHouse411
10/05gt is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member
 
ddd76's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Louisville
Posts: 145
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hailochild View Post
Maybe so I don't have to be so embarrassed I can just tell non mechanically inclined people it's supercharger in the meantime!
LOL! Someone might buy that one !



2007 GT: Throttlebody, CAI, Ceramic coated LT's, off road x-pipe,flows, cmcv deletes, predator tuner w/Modular Depot custom tune , sequentials, other exterior mods

1993 Lightning: #949 Black
ddd76 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1