Clearcoat coming off of wheels - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Clearcoat coming off of wheels

I have aftermarket wheels and I have noticed that the clearcoat is coming off the lip of the wheels. Is it fixable by a good body shop or not fixable at all? I have the shelby razor wheels so if anyone has the same wheels with the same problem then I would like to know.

Also the wheels have the 4 or 5 fake bolts that go between each spoke right by the lip of the wheel. For some reason those are coming out too. I have lost about 5 off of one wheel and I am wondering if there is a way to get more of those or do I just have bad luck or what?

05 Mustang GT - Performance Mods - Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Diablosport Tuner, Eibach Multi-pro R-2 coilovers , Max. Motors. camber plates and bumpsteer
Appearance Mods - 20" Shelby Razor wheels (Gunmetal with polished lip), flat black fender stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1EATINPONY View Post
Is it fixable by a good body shop or not fixable at all?
They most likely won't mess with it.
To fix it right they have to be stripped and polished and recoated.
Your better off getting some stock wheels that you like, used!
Look at the ones they have here
New Take-Off - Wheels and Tires
And they are new!

V6 Addict!

2009' 4.0 --White
No mods yet! Still under warranty!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010
BOSS Member

Garage
Contact Shelby and get their take on it.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

wow

im happy that you posted, i was thinking about the razors for the summer. Do you take good car of them, do you use track pads?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowendtork View Post
im happy that you posted, i was thinking about the razors for the summer. Do you take good car of them, do you use track pads?
Yes i am constantly washing my car and wiping my wheels off all the time. Not sure what u mean by track pads though..... I love the wheels for sure. They look great on the car and give it a killer look and stylish look IMO. The only problem I have with them is the clearcoat peeling off in spots and the fake bolts around the lip are coming out. Im not sure if im the only one with this problem but I also drive the car every single day. Where as alot of people with 20" wheels seem to have show cars or drive them on the weekends. When I say drive I mean I drive it. I drive about 200 miles a week along with autocross events and recently finding that I like drifting too so im doing that also. I dont think that the fake bolts coming out is a common problem though. I believe it was a "luck of the draw" kind of deal for me. Its all good though. Like I said the car gets driven everyday and normal wear and tear comes into play in my situation. Maybe this will help you in your decision on the wheels. Also im not sure on what most people do to clean their wheels personally but I use window cleaner out of a spray can like Eagle 1 20/20 or Invisible Glass or something like that. I spay it on there and wipe it off with a microfiber rag. Leaves no streaks and not harmful for the wheels. Also works fantastic on chrome and polished wheels too.

05 Mustang GT - Performance Mods - Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Diablosport Tuner, Eibach Multi-pro R-2 coilovers , Max. Motors. camber plates and bumpsteer
Appearance Mods - 20" Shelby Razor wheels (Gunmetal with polished lip), flat black fender stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page