Low idle and turn off after CAI install - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Low idle and turn off after CAI install

i recently installed an anderson power pipe and dbx 97mm mass air. After installing my car ran fine for a good 10 mins and then all of a sudden the car was idle bouncing really low from like 200 to 800 rpm. i thought something was wrong with the dbx so i sent it back for a new one and installed the factory intake back. now after i drive and put it in neutral the car will drop to about 450 rpm and then finally after awhile go back up to 800. i also got a new mass air meter from anderson and installed and had the same problem as before. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010
GT Member

Does the power pipe require a tune? most changes to incoming air flow usually requires adjustment to the computers calibration. I'm not sure about the power pipe though. Also, some people in the past managed to get the air flow sensor in back wards that could cause issues. Make sure the little window (opening) in the sensor is facing the incoming air flow.

I,m not sure if one of these could be your problem but I guess you have to start somewhere. I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in shortly.

2005 black GT premium (5spd) / GT500 front LCA/upper strut mounts / Koni Adjustable (yellow)shocks with Roush Springs / FRPP 4:10 rear gear / BMR rear UCA/LCA+relocation brackets / MGW Shifter / Bassani axle backs / Cervinis heat extractor hood and Ducktail spoiler / Carroll Shelby CS69 20x9/20x10 wheels / MSD Blaster 2 coils / Roush TVS2300 Supercharger+Brenspeed 560R upgrade / Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch / Exedy lightweight flywheel / SR Performance braided stainless clutch Line / Afco Dual Fan Heat Exchanger upgrade / JLT Catch Can / Axle Exchange one piece aluminum DS / Silly grin on my face every time I turn the key.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

i put it on correctly and the dbx is electronic and does require a tune to the car its on. Andersonfordmotorsports.com said they tuned it to my car all i gotta do is put the puppy on..... but idk my dad is a mustang fanatic and works on his all the time and cant even figure out whats wrong with mine.

anyone got a clue?

Last edited by CathyHalliday; 03-28-2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Merge 2 post

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Simple... It needs to be tuned.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

I just looked at both the power pipe and maf they use and you need a tune in the PCM to make it work. The MAF they use is a universal that can be used for anything. They say they tuned the MAF which makes it compatiable with the mustang setup, but you have to tune the PCM.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

how do i tune my pcm? im a newbie at mustangs and such. Ive only helped out with them and not done much to them myself.

ive got the diablo sport predator but i dont have a clue as to how to tune the pcm. best i can do atm is the different fuel octane tunes

Last edited by CathyHalliday; 03-28-2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Merge 2 post
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Contact brenspeed, you cannot tune it yourself unless you know what you are doing.
Brenspeed Forum | AllFordMustangs.com

Do not run the car without a tune, you will damage the engine.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

i have a diablo sport predator though they carry the sct. the anderson power pipe isnt on there atm. i put the stock equip back on. its the only transportation i have haha:/

i called anderson and they said the power pipe should be able to just be put on my car. think my tps is bad?

Last edited by CathyHalliday; 03-28-2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Merge 2 post
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wku5 View Post
i called anderson and they said the power pipe should be able to just be put on my car. think my tps is bad?
My goof, try American Muscle to see if they can tune the one you have.
Most CAI's require a tune. Some don't but those have restricted air flow.
I would see if you can return the one that you have and contact American Muscle, Brenspeed or Tillman for a CAI/Tuner combo.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wku5 View Post
I hate to say this but they don't know what they are talking about. YOU need a tune. Not too many guys use the diablo even though its a good setup.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelers View Post
I hate to say this but they don't know what they are talking about. YOU need a tune. Not too many guys use the diablo even though its a good setup.
Agree... It will probably need to go on a dyno.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

i recalibrated it and now it runs fine and has a really noticable power gain and throttle response. i think it was tuned for a v6 mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page