Comp Cams 127450 SPR Cams - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Comp Cams 127450 SPR Cams

Any one have these I am considering them for my Brenspeed B302 with Saleen blower. With me having a automatic i was thinking may would be great with my combo? any experiance with these cams would be helpfull? thanks.

08 GT B302, FRPP Big Valve Heads, Comp Cams 127450's,Edelbrock E-force, IW 18% ODC, 8 Rib Conv, Oversize IC Res, GT500 Fuel System, 60LB Inj, Pyps LT Headers, Pyps O/R H, Pyps M-80's, Flowmaster A/T's, 3.73's, True Trac, Moser's..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

I just did the FRPP Hot Rod cams with my Saleen blower with a JDM tune. I had some idle issues yesterday after the install...still nasty outside here but I will drive it tomorrow. talked to JDM today and they seem to think its fuel related.
but other than that everything is great.
I run a TCI 3500 stall. you have a converter?

Saleen S/C 3.2 pulley. Chris Rose tune.

Hot Rod cams, GT500 pumps, CHE goodies on the rear, 4.10's, KOOKS/ O/R X pipe with PYPES Violators, Spydershaft, TCI 3500 stall, PA deep tranny pan. Meziere w/p,M&H 325/45/17 DRs.
S/[email protected]/[email protected]
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010
Apprentice

one thing to note is that the SPR (springs required, if im not mistaken) will greatly increase the install time and price if you have not also priced out the needed springs. on the lighter side though, cams that require springs are usually worth the extra effort...

2005 Mustang GT
Paxton Novie 1200SL, Comp NSR Blower Grind 2, MMR Shortblock, C&L 95mm Mass/Air sensor, 39lb injectors, Motoblue ignition coils, Motoblue throttle plate spacer, Borla XR-1 Long Tube Headers and no cat x-pipe, Hooker Aero Chamber muffler, Custom LaMotta Performance tune, G-force tires, B&M shifter, Kennybell b-a-p, AEM analog A/F gauge, Interceptor scan gauge, McLeod RST clutch, aluminum flywheel
intercooler/smaller pully to come...
and yes it is my DD

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010
SheizaSoSay

SPR's are not JUST springs, those would be VSR's. SPR's require phaser lockouts aswell. From what I gather you would see a good gain but why not just up the boost?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPO8GT View Post
Any one have these I am considering them for my Brenspeed B302 with Saleen blower. With me having a automatic i was thinking may would be great with my combo? any experiance with these cams would be helpfull? thanks.
That’s a BIG cam. I good big cam if it is a big cam kind of car, but a big cam none the less. I would describe that cam as more race than “street”, and even a stage down is still pretty aggressive. If you want to keep your car with daily driver manners (fast daily driver manners) I wouldn’t go that big. The 127350 is a fantastic cam for a street driven NA car, especially an auto. You will still get a rumble but it won’t be “cammin” while you are rolling through town at low RPM’s.

I’m going to be on the dyno in the next few weeks and my entire motor (KB blown) has been gone through to make big power……except for cams. I still have the stock ones in there. I have talked to a lot of people that think I can get pretty close to my 650rwhp goal with the stock cams on pump fuel. The plan is too dyno the car, get what we can out of it and see where we are. If it doesn’t quite make my goals I will be putting the 127350’s in and EVERYONE that I have been dealing with says there will be no issue eclipsing the 650rwhp goal with those in there. I personally would never cam a car any more than I absolutely had too.

Aside from over-torqued bolts over-camming “hot rods” is the biggest mistake made by a long shot.

A word to the wise:
Spend some money on overbuilding your intercooler/heat exchanger system if you are looking for max power. You will make more power because of low IAT’s than you ever will with cams. I went completely BONKERS with my cooling system and it was only about the price of a set of cams.

Good luck.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010
Apprentice

I have the SPR 127550 , 3:73s Kenne Bell 2.6L 14psi with a stick and would not hesitate doing them again. I was worried also before I got them, But now Im very happy with them. No driveablity issues at all even with a DFX clutch and Drag radials in the rain.
I'm an old man too.

Dyno with 15 degrees timing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	580 dyno.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	93318  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by flounderlipps View Post
I have the SPR 127550 , 3:73s Kenne Bell 2.6L 14psi with a stick and would not hesitate doing them again. I was worried also before I got them, But now Im very happy with them. No driveablity issues at all even with a DFX clutch and Drag radials in the rain.
I'm an old man too.

That's not on the stock block is it?

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounderlipps View Post
I'm an old man too.

Do you have any head work?

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010
Apprentice

Built motor, CNC heads, Livernoise limiters

SLP Headers
GT 500 pumps
60# injectors
KB Throttle Body
And all the other goodies
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

My car is on its way to Brenspeed for there B302 Short Block that I just purchased yesturday.
I recently blew my stock engine with the Brenspeed Saleen S/C and a 3.0 (13psi) pully, Brenspeed twinscrew blower grind nsr cams 39lb inj, KB BP I was pushing around 500 rwhp in cold weather conditions it was 30 degrees when i blew it.
Its much cheaper on labor if i go ahead and upgrade my springs and retainers while they are in the engine so I figure I may as well upgrade the cams I do not want to wish I chose a more agressive cam after the fact thats why I am considering the 127450 also I dont want to go deep with the gears or go with a high stall converter I want to keep that stock maintaining better street maners. Chadler at Brenspeed has been looking at having comp do a custom grind cam for me If I did a custom grind I would probably find the middle ground between the 127350 and the 127450.
LIST! :kooky:
B302 forged stroker shortblock

upgrading to comp high load behive springs and steel retainers

upgrading cams > undecided

upgrading to the Saleen Extreme Heat Exchanger Upgrade Kit > 60% larger HE + adds two cooling fans + higher flow intercooler water pump than the stock Saleen unit

upgrading my steeda cai and stock maf sensor to the Saleen Extreem Cold Air Intake it also comes with a new MAF sensor rated to 900+ hp

upgrading to GT500 fuel pumps and 60LB Injectors.

Metco Overdrive Crank Pulley

Saleen 2.75" Blower Pulley

Dyno Tuned by Brent White > Brenspeed

08 GT B302, FRPP Big Valve Heads, Comp Cams 127450's,Edelbrock E-force, IW 18% ODC, 8 Rib Conv, Oversize IC Res, GT500 Fuel System, 60LB Inj, Pyps LT Headers, Pyps O/R H, Pyps M-80's, Flowmaster A/T's, 3.73's, True Trac, Moser's..
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I decided to go with a custome grind cam instead of the 127450
I also decided not to go with a overdrive crank for now.

Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

From what I have seen the combos with the 12740’s seem to be putting down less power than would be expected. This is by no means a scientific observation, just a trend I have noticed. Has anyone been running big boost/550+hp and then added the cams to see what they did?

There is not a massive amount of overlap but there is a big chunk of lift and the intake/exhaust ratio is a little less than ideal. I wonder if there are issues with building cylinder pressure or not evacuating spent gases as efficiently as they could be.

Just some thoughts.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page