2006 Mustang GT AC On Rough Idle - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

2006 Mustang GT AC On Rough Idle

Hi,

I have an 2006 Mustang GT that currently has idle problems. Here's a breakdown of possibly relevant events.

In Summer 2009, the car had low refrigerant. Symptoms: Compressor clicking on and off every 2 seconds, AC not cold. Solution: Recharged with ~16 oz of R134A. Everything went to normal... compressor operated normally and AC was cold again.

In Jan 2010, the car's check engine light went on and was throwing a P0340 code - camshaft position sensor. I had it cleared without changing anything and it came back in 2 days. I then cleared it again and changed the alternator as many people have done and it hasn't come back.

Currently, I noticed the AC was starting to get warmer but it still blew cool air. I also noticed when the AC was on max, the engine idle speed would vary 200-300 rpm or so about every 2 seconds while the compressor was on. I just recharged it with ~16 oz of R134A with additives and the AC is now blowing cold air but I still get the fluctuation in the engine idle only while the AC is on. If I turn off the AC, everything is normal. The compressor is not clicking on and off this time, it seems to stay on, unlike last summer.

I'm not sure what's going on... please help!

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
When was the last time you cleaned your throttle body?

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
When was the last time you cleaned your throttle body?
Never

I did notice it being a bit dirty when I changed the alternator and had to remove the cover... but will a dirty throttle body affect idle ONLY when the AC is on?

Thank you!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

+1 on the cleaning.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

How do you clean the throttle body?

92 LX
Holly Systemax, Shorty Headers, TFS Stage 1 Cam, TFS FAC 170 Heads, Cobra Transmission, King Cobra Clutch
RWHP 317

2006 Mustang GT
JLT CAI and a Custom Tune
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglou View Post
How do you clean the throttle body?
The best way is to remove it and spary it with TB cleaner. Then reinstall it.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
MAF, TB, and make sure to change your fuel and air filters. they are commonly overlooked. even if its unrelated, still a good idea to do

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010
Rookie

I had the same issue with my 2006 GT. Turnied out the compressor puked it's guts through the whole system and was locking up whenever it would cycle on. Ended up replacing the compressor, condensor, orific tube, and a few other things. Car had 17,500 miles on it, but was 42 months old. NO WARRANTY!
I called Ford, no help their either. But mine would die at a stop light when the compressor kicked on. Hopefully you aren't developing the same issue.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarfZot View Post
Never

I did notice it being a bit dirty when I changed the alternator and had to remove the cover... but will a dirty throttle body affect idle ONLY when the AC is on?

Thank you!
It's amazing how much a dirty TB can affect these cars idle.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Here's an update...

I cleaned both the MAF and throttle body using CRC cleaners, without resetting the computer. It fixed the rough idle but then started idling really high when in neutral/park (~1000 RPM) and when I lifted off the gas when cruising (auto trans).

I then reset the computer by removing the neg term of the battery and now all is well. The car is now running perfectly.

Thanks for your help guys!
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarfZot View Post
Here's an update...

I cleaned both the MAF and throttle body using CRC cleaners, without resetting the computer. It fixed the rough idle but then started idling really high when in neutral/park (~1000 RPM) and when I lifted off the gas when cruising (auto trans).

I then reset the computer by removing the neg term of the battery and now all is well. The car is now running perfectly.

Thanks for your help guys!
Congrats, when you reset the PCM, you reset the adaptive learning so it relearns your driving style.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page