2006 Mustang GT Shifting Trouble - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

2006 Mustang GT Shifting Trouble

ok so im pretty sure im doing something wrong here. This is my first mustang and only the second 5 speed ive driven. the last was a lil 240sx. So u can say i have barely any skill in this area. Does anyone have any tips for me? I am constantly finding myself popping the clutch in this thing and and always have to rev the rpms and slowly ease of the clutch to find 1st gear. I really dont wanna ruin my clutch and this is only my first day having the car. Man am i a disgrace!

06 Mustang GT- 5 Speed. CnL Street intake, Xcal2, Bama 93 race, Slp loudmouth, Kaenen 3.5 cowl hood, gt500 spoiler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

I find that on my '06 GT the clutch tends to engage fairly high and there is initially a dead spot in the throttle. See is yours is similar and try to compesate for those factors.

'06 GT, manual, Satin Silver, lt. grey cloth int., IUP.
MODIFICATIONS - Goodyear F1 GS-D3s; 245/45 on 18x9, 275/40 on 18x10| Progress Technology springs & sway bars| Steeda adj. panhard bar, panhard brace, front control arm brace & bushings| strut tower brace| Tokico D-Spec dampers| CHE adj. LCAs & BMR relocation brackets |drilled & slotted front rotors| C&L intake| BamaChips SCT tune| FRPP 4.10 ring & pinion| Pypes off road H-pipes| FRPP GTA mufflers.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

guess ill go n play with it. practice makes perfect eh??

06 Mustang GT- 5 Speed. CnL Street intake, Xcal2, Bama 93 race, Slp loudmouth, Kaenen 3.5 cowl hood, gt500 spoiler

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Honestly you just gotta go practice and figure it out. Also good choice on exhaust SLPs sound amazing you'll love em.

2008 Vapor Silver Mustang GT

JLTSCTSLPBMRMagnaflowEibach
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010
PONY Member

Find a dead, flat parking lot and try this:
Ease off the clutch pedal without ever touching the accelerator, and once the RPM starts to drop, try to remember where that spot is, because that's the "friction point" of the clutch in your car.
There is a dead spot in the throttle but that shouldn't make a significant difference. My 04 had the traditional cable and spring throttle system and I can drive the 08 the same way I drove the 04. It just takes some practice.

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe
Procharged--cammed--Lito tuned--coilover suspension
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40th GT View Post
Find a dead, flat parking lot and try this:
Ease off the clutch pedal without ever touching the accelerator, and once the RPM starts to drop, try to remember where that spot is, because that's the "friction point" of the clutch in your car.
There is a dead spot in the throttle but that shouldn't make a significant difference. My 04 had the traditional cable and spring throttle system and I can drive the 08 the same way I drove the 04. It just takes some practice.
This is probably the best thing to do it gets you a complete feel for the clutch.

2008 Vapor Silver Mustang GT

JLTSCTSLPBMRMagnaflowEibach
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

thanks guys ill go do that.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Exactly what has been said here. They have a short engagement spot in the clutch travel. You will get it.

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page