Spoiler delete help - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Spoiler delete help

Hey guys I just got my spoiler off and now i have to deal with that adhesive crap left over. I got off as much as i could with a razor blade then i tried the goo gone. It breaks it down but then it just spreads around. Now i have a bunch of gunk smudges on my trunk. Also whenever i do manage to get it off ( if u can help) what should i use to temporarily fill the holes (specifically would be nice). Thanks

06 Mustang GT- 5 Speed. CnL Street intake, Xcal2, Bama 93 race, Slp loudmouth, Kaenen 3.5 cowl hood, gt500 spoiler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010
GT Member

I have found that a little bit of WD-40 will pretty much break down most types of adhesive residue.

2005 black GT premium (5spd) / GT500 front LCA/upper strut mounts / Koni Adjustable (yellow)shocks with Roush Springs / FRPP 4:10 rear gear / BMR rear UCA/LCA+relocation brackets / MGW Shifter / Bassani axle backs / Cervinis heat extractor hood and Ducktail spoiler / Carroll Shelby CS69 20x9/20x10 wheels / MSD Blaster 2 coils / Roush TVS2300 Supercharger+Brenspeed 560R upgrade / Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch / Exedy lightweight flywheel / SR Performance braided stainless clutch Line / Afco Dual Fan Heat Exchanger upgrade / JLT Catch Can / Axle Exchange one piece aluminum DS / Silly grin on my face every time I turn the key.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

there a certain way to do it though?

06 Mustang GT- 5 Speed. CnL Street intake, Xcal2, Bama 93 race, Slp loudmouth, Kaenen 3.5 cowl hood, gt500 spoiler

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Plastic putty knife wrapped in a t-shirt with hair spray and a blow dryer takes it off really quick. You can use your fingers just be careful you may end up with blisters.

To fill the holes temporarily you could use duct tape on the inside on or go buy some silicone any type and put a bead on the inside of each hole. Do you plan on getting then filled and painted? Idk if your going for the no spoiler look but if not check out the gt500 spoilers they look great on gt's.

2008 Vapor Silver Mustang GT

JLTSCTSLPBMRMagnaflowEibach
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010
GT Member

I have heard of some people putting nylon plugs in the holes and painting them. I think Sqidd did that before he had a body shop fill them. I saw a picture of a car like this and it looked good. I too like the no spoiler look but dont feel like paying a body shop the $300 to do it right.

2005 Ford Mustang GT Torch Red Manual
Saleen Super Shaker 3.4 pulley/Brenspeed Tune
Kooks Longtubes Catted H/FRPP Stingers
Full BMR And Steeda Suspension
FRPP Throttlebody
Dynotech Driveshaft
SOLD!! I have no Mustang at this time!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Napta will work also. 3M makes a product that works good also.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

A little paint thinner will get it right off. Just spray it on a rag and wipe it off.

2003 Oxford White Cobra Coupe-The Toy
2001 Flame Red Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4-The Tool
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

You might want to just replace the rear deck lid with a spoiler delete one. It will probably be cheaper in the end.

Forged bottom end, Ported heads, Saleen super charger, 2.8 blower pulley/15psi, Dual stage water to air intercooler, AFCO heat exchanger, battery relocated, Twin GT500 fuel pumps, T-56 trans, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff, TA Performance rear end girdle, Racecraft suspension system, UCA, LCA, panhard bar, 15" slotted front rotors w/ 6 piston calipers, Carbon Fiber front splitter/rear diffuser, and bunch of other stuff
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

i finallt got it off thanks to tony ( thanks dude) and i think im gonna go with nylon plugs and touch up paint. I dont wanna get them filled cuz i plan on either gettin the gt500 or ducktail spoiler. Does anyone know if they bolt into the same holes?

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitchv1 View Post
i finallt got it off thanks to tony ( thanks dude) and i think im gonna go with nylon plugs and touch up paint. I dont wanna get them filled cuz i plan on either gettin the gt500 or ducktail spoiler. Does anyone know if they bolt into the same holes?
Since you plan on a spoiler I would just use duct tape on the inside for temporary. Gt500 spoiler from spoilerstore on eBay is $120 for great quality. And the gt500 spoiler reuses two of the same holes for bolts and the rest is by 3m tape. Check mine out in my profile. If you got any other questions feel free to pm me.

2008 Vapor Silver Mustang GT

JLTSCTSLPBMRMagnaflowEibach
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitchv1 View Post
Hey guys I just got my spoiler off and now i have to deal with that adhesive crap left over. I got off as much as i could with a razor blade then i tried the goo gone. It breaks it down but then it just spreads around. Now i have a bunch of gunk smudges on my trunk. Also whenever i do manage to get it off ( if u can help) what should i use to temporarily fill the holes (specifically would be nice). Thanks
Best stuff in the world!

Amazon.com: General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner 15 Oz Gen. Purpose Adhesive Cleaner: Sports & Outdoors

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

I installed the Civinie duck tail spoiler and it will cover the holes.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page