Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/)
-   -   2006 Mustang GT. Hesitation problem with custom tune (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/225917-2006-mustang-gt-hesitation-problem-custom-tune.html)

NCGT 03-21-2010 08:00 PM

2006 Mustang GT. Hesitation problem with custom tune

I have been a member here a while reading and taking advantage of others wisdom. I have an 06 GT straight drive. After a lot of reading and comparing I bought a SCT-X3 programer with custome tune and Ford Racing intake from one of these sights highly recommended dealers. I installed the intake and the programmer a couple of weeks ago. Very impressed with the 87 octain program performance. The car came to life in ways I never expected. I'm just having one issue with it and was wondering if anyone else has the same problem. When starting out from idle up to 1200 rpm the car is very responsive. From 1200 up to 3000 the car almost boggs. There is a loss of power, the car will nose over just a little. The more you give it the gas the worse it gets. But when I hit 3000 rpm you best be holding on because we are going for a ride then. It has the same reaction through all the gears. The company rep said this is normal, I'm just feeling the 3000 rpm surge. I have read pages and pages on this forum and have not seen the first mention of this condition. Has anyone else had this issue or is it just me? Sorry this is so long.. Thanks for any advice...Buddy

MickMach 03-21-2010 08:07 PM

how many miles on your car? it could be something as simple as a dirty MAF sensor. you ever cleaned it?
Or Id reflash the ECM back to stock and then reload your custom tune.

pcfrisch 03-21-2010 08:07 PM

Your tune may just need a little tweaking.

cobras55 03-21-2010 08:39 PM

Sounds like a bad tune to me...call chris over at tillmans and you'll be lovin every thing about your powerband:bigthumbsup

travelers 03-22-2010 04:01 AM

It's two things, the CMCP are opening giving you a slight bog and it sounds like the tune could use a little tweaking. If the place you got the tune from can't help then give Chris a call at Tillmans.

B'sKonaBlueGT 03-22-2010 08:57 AM

I'm running Brenspeed tunes. I wouldn't go so far as to say the car bogs below 3K rpm, but the kick after the CMCVs open just makes it seem like there should be more available down low. The CMCVs restrict air flow inside the intake, so deletes might smooth it out through the whole power-band, but I've heard maybe with a loss of torque. But, mine's my DD, so I rarely get above 3K on shifts anyway. If you're really not happy, talk to your tuner and/or get a dyno tune. Even the "custom" tunes can't account for all the variables in YOUR car, so a little tweak here & there should get it to your liking.

stlwagon 03-22-2010 02:56 PM

852 Attachment(s)
Whose tune are you running?

redruder 03-22-2010 07:02 PM

If it's an automatic then yes there is a bit of what might seem like hesitation when you jump on it below 3K. At 3K everything is wide open so it pulls hard from there. I have found it best to actually roll into the throttle with OD off. Rear gears and the high octane tune should clear that up. I do reccomend setting your car back to stock and then reinstall the desired tune and cleaning your MAF sensor would be a good idea as well.

NCGT 03-22-2010 07:23 PM

My car is a straight drive, with about 45000 miles on it. The programer is from Brenspeed. I have e-mailed them and waiting for a response. I will try to reload the program Tuesday morning before I go to work. We will see what happens. Thanks for all ideas.

redruder 03-23-2010 08:53 AM

Not sure what a straight drive is, but I went out to do a little experiment with mine. I watched the tach and here is what I observed. It pulled at a steady pace to about 3100 then it shot to my raised shift point in what looked like an instant jump. I knew that it hit hard at around 3K but due to it being an auto I never really paid much attention to just how fast it climed in RPMs. I just knew it hit kind of like the power bang on a motorcycle does. Need to get 4.10s in the rearend.

travelers 03-23-2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redruder (Post 1982380)
Not sure what a straight drive is, but I went out to do a little experiment with mine. I watched the tach and here is what I observed. It pulled at a steady pace to about 3100 then it shot to my raised shift point in what looked like an instant jump. I knew that it hit hard at around 3K but due to it being an auto I never really paid much attention to just how fast it climed in RPMs. I just knew it hit kind of like the power bang on a motorcycle does. Need to get 4.10s in the rearend.

That is about when the runner control plates open up completely.

redruder 03-23-2010 02:03 PM

That's what I figured, I plan on eliminating those at some point. Maybe when the wife goes to visit her sister again :good_and_evil:.

ski 03-23-2010 02:04 PM

In addition to all of the great suggestions from others, also suggest that you clean the throttle body if it's never been cleaned before. I've read other threads where doing this has helped to improve performance.

NCGT 03-23-2010 03:00 PM

I heard back from Dave at Brenspeed, he said that this is a normal operation for this tune and vehicle. Dave thinks that delete plates may help some. I have been thinking about some headers also, so I went ahead and called Brenspeed and ordered a set of Kooks. Dave advised that these items should help some, but I will still see the surge. We will try it and see. Thanks for all the ideas, Ill still do some of the recommendations. Cleaning the mass air flow and throttle body can hurt. Thanks again... Buddy

stlwagon 03-23-2010 06:06 PM

852 Attachment(s)
Hope the headers help... Nothing beats throwing a lot of money at a problem! :yelwacko: