2005 misfire problems after cam and head swap - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Question 2005 misfire problems after cam and head swap

Well after a month of havin my car in the shop....we finally got it on the dyno and had my tuner mess with
the a/f ratio and timing....after a couple of pulls we both started noticing a misfire at wot....after checking the
datalogs....we saw about 3 different dips..02 went to 0....timing went from 30 to -64 degrees...and the maf
also dropped to 0....according to the tuner he thinks the problem might be my pcm...has anybody heard or had
this problem after cam/head swap?

Fyi: comp cam spr stage 2....cncd heads....springs n phasers were replaced

Any feedback is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogt4u View Post
Well after a month of havin my car in the shop....we finally got it on the dyno and had my tuner mess with
the a/f ratio and timing....after a couple of pulls we both started noticing a misfire at wot....after checking the
datalogs....we saw about 3 different dips..02 went to 0....timing went from 30 to -64 degrees...and the maf
also dropped to 0....according to the tuner he thinks the problem might be my pcm...has anybody heard or had
this problem after cam/head swap?

Fyi: comp cam spr stage 2....cncd heads....springs n phasers were replaced

Any feedback is appreciated!
It would be purely coincidental that the ECU is giving out after a swap of any kind. The most logical place to look would be at all the electrical connections including grounds first.

Did the ECU set any codes?

"You can't fix stupid"

Tuned by PowerHouse411
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010
PONY Member

i dont think its an ECU problem,,,,those SPR cams need a good tuner:smilie

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/05gt View Post
It would be purely coincidental that the ECU is giving out after a swap of any kind. The most logical place to look would be at all the electrical connections including grounds first.

Did the ECU set any codes?
I agree check the grounds.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I had a problem before with the grounds...and the car wouldn't work at all....it could be on for like 3 minutes and then just turn off
This problem is only at wot at about 5k and only in 4th gear................p0301....p0316.......p1000.... ...are the codes I'm gettin...the 1st one says misfire in cylinder1 detected....n the
2nd 1 says misfire detected 1st 1000 rpms.....these are the codes its throwing:?:
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
I had a problem before with the grounds...and the car wouldn't work at all....it could be on for like 3 minutes and then just turn off
This problem is only at wot at about 5k and only in 4th gear................p0301....p0316.......p1000.... ...are the codes I'm gettin...the 1st one says misfire in cylinder1 detected....n the
2nd 1 says misfire detected 1st 1000 rpms.....these are the codes its throwing:?:
The P1000 is ECU not ready. Basically it throws that code when the ECU has not been able to complete all it's self tests. A bad ground or connection can cause that or a problem with the ECU. It will also sometimes show up when the battery has been disconnected for a long time. Check the ground connections that are on the raditor support under the radiator cover. They are on passenger side by the ECU.

As for the misfire codes I would still lean towards a bad connection. Check the COP and injector connectors. If you don't see anything obvious then swap #1 COP with one from the other engine bank and see if the code moves. If it moves then the COP is bad. If it doesn't move then check the spark plug.

You may not be able to really feel a random misfire at idle or cruising speed but it will normally show up under load like your seeing in 4th gear.

Try that and let us know what you find

"You can't fix stupid"

Tuned by PowerHouse411
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Agree... Bad connection, broken pigtail or failing coil(s).

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Well we changed the spark plugs n switched the coil from #1 to #5...n no backfiring after a couple of miles of drivin
....but no change w the p1000 code...and also its throwin 1 that says dat the timing on the camshaft is too advanced
I guess ill let my real tuner tell me wut dat is exactly...gotta wait till thurs or fri though....do u guys think it'll be safe
To drive about 400 miles....as long as I don't floor it?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

P1000 should disappear after a few driving cycles.

1965 Mustang Coupe
PONY Member

Quote:
Well we changed the spark plugs n switched the coil from #1 to #5...n no backfiring after a couple of miles of drivin
....but no change w the p1000 code...and also its throwin 1 that says dat the timing on the camshaft is too advanced
I guess ill let my real tuner tell me wut dat is exactly...gotta wait till thurs or fri though....do u guys think it'll be safe
To drive about 400 miles....as long as I don't floor it?
The P1000 should go away like stl said. The cam timing over advanced could come from the ECU software still looking for full cam timing retard if your current tuner didn't adjust the cam timing tables in the ECU. The limiters stop the cams at around 20*s of timing retard. If the tables were not changed like the instructions with the limiters say to then that may be why your seeing that.

"You can't fix stupid"

Tuned by PowerHouse411
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Wuts up guys! Well, I finally got the stang to the right person....I am amazed at wut a difference
This guy made...I am reaLly happy with the results...thank you to all for all the help!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Richard at strictly performance in houston.....told me that he could get some more out of it but he needed some more time
to do some more tweakin....so hopefully next week it'll be back on the dyno and maybe I can post the results!

Thanks again to every1 that posted u guys were a lot of help!
PONY Member

Quote:
Wuts up guys! Well, I finally got the stang to the right person....I am amazed at wut a difference
This guy made...I am reaLly happy with the results...thank you to all for all the help!
Good deal.....glad to hear that

"You can't fix stupid"

Tuned by PowerHouse411
Classic Member
S197 Member

So it was all in the tune afterall.

1965 Mustang Coupe
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
So it was all in the tune afterall.
i said its a tuner problem but no one listened,,,

glad to hear you got it solved out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page