Mustang GT loud rear end squeak - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Mustang GT loud rear end squeak

The last couple of days I have noticed a loud squeak coming from the rear passenger side. It sounds like a very loud cricket! I hear it on the road or freeway, happens at almost any speed but is most noticable at 70mph on the freeway. If I can hear it inside I'm sure you can hear it outside.

No mods to the suspension, added axelback exhaust (MAC boomtubes) months ago and checked the connections, everything is tight. Anyone have any ideas? I got under the car and rattled everything I could but could not reproduce the sound. Taking it to the dealership this weekend and I'm sure they can reproduce the sound.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010
GT Member

What year? How many miles? Ever had a brake job?

2005 Sonic Blue Auto GT, ordered new
Procharger D1SC
Thanks JPC Racing!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

2006, 71K, replaced front brakes only. Do you think it could be the rear brakes making the noise even though I'm not engaing them to make the sound? It's a constant squeak at normal cruise and not touching the brakes. Or maybe it could be TSB 05-20-2?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010
GT Member

Yeah, it could be the brakes, at least check the pads and rotors. 70K is a lot to go without a brake job on the rears, could be a warped rotor? That could explain the squeak at speed, or else that tab thingie that says it's time to change the brakes dude.

I don't think that TSB you referenced would cause a noise on just one side of the car.

Good luck!

2005 Sonic Blue Auto GT, ordered new
Procharger D1SC
Thanks JPC Racing!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Cool, thanks for the info. I have had the brakes checked 2 or 3 times and I was told they were fine. I know they need to replaced soon, hopefully this is the cause of the problem.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010
Apprentice

next time you here the noise try dragging the brakes. if it goes away when the brakes are dragged at speed then this greatly minimizes the things it could be.

2005 Mustang GT
Paxton Novie 1200SL, Comp NSR Blower Grind 2, MMR Shortblock, C&L 95mm Mass/Air sensor, 39lb injectors, Motoblue ignition coils, Motoblue throttle plate spacer, Borla XR-1 Long Tube Headers and no cat x-pipe, Hooker Aero Chamber muffler, Custom LaMotta Performance tune, G-force tires, B&M shifter, Kennybell b-a-p, AEM analog A/F gauge, Interceptor scan gauge, McLeod RST clutch, aluminum flywheel
intercooler/smaller pully to come...
and yes it is my DD
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Good idea, I will try that today
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Could be a failing LCA, UCA or swaybar bushing too.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

The brakes are setup to sequel when they get low to worn you

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I tried lightly riding the brakes while the noise was loud and it still was there with the brakes slightly engaged. I checked the bushings and they still look brand new. I hope it's nothing big because my warrenty is now up. Taking it on Friday to see what the shop can find. I know how to reporoduce the noise, it's most evident when going 60-70mph. Thanks for all the suggestions.
ModsStang

My boomtubes squeak like hell and are tight - have been loosened, tightened - still the same problem...... one day when I get really fed up - I'm going to an exhaust shop... but you would mainly notice that when it is warmed up and going over bumps... not just at one speed or another... best of luck finding the elusive squeak! I feel for ya!!
GT Member

I had the same noise with the install of boom-tubes. The sound is coming from the front hanger passenger side axle back, which rubs the hanger mount. You must grind away some of the mount metal to keep it from making contact. I solved my problem by wrapping the front hanger with high heat rubber hose and securing it with a tie strap at the top of the hose and a metal hose clamp at the bottom...i did some grinding also the metal there is pretty hard..

note: when the exhaust reaches operating temp it expands the hanger closer to the mount , thus rubbing up against it...

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Thanks for the info Kona. I have had the tubes on for 6 months now but the noise started about a week ago. What you say makes sense butI wonder why they were not making the noise when I first installed? I'm going to get under the car this weekend and will try what you did and will report back.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretschstang View Post
Thanks for the info Kona. I have had the tubes on for 6 months now but the noise started about a week ago. What you say makes sense butI wonder why they were not making the noise when I first installed? I'm going to get under the car this weekend and will try what you did and will report back.
correction: my hanger was rubbing on the driver side but i'd check them both....

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Figured it out. The tightening rings the tubes come with are not great and loosened up. The hangers were snuggly in the hanger mounts but may have been rubbing due to the loose connection. I should have known thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page