Cam install on my 2005 Mustang GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Cam install on my 2005 Mustang GT

whatsup guys I have a quick couple of questions.

What are your opinions on buying used cams? My friend is selling his cams and I was wondering if it was a good or bad idea.

My second question is After the cams are installed, does the engine need to be tuned right away? or would I be able to drive 40 or 50 miles to the dyno shop and have it tuned there.

My last question is could I get by with my stock 3.55's until I get enough money to move up to the 3.73's?

Im not cheap, Im just a 19 year old kid going to college full time and wanting to go fast.

All opinions are greatly appreciated, Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010
GT Member

I would never install used cams in an engine.

3.55's are so close to 3.73's changing those probably aren't worth it at this point.

My $.02!

2005 Sonic Blue Auto GT, ordered new
Procharger D1SC
Thanks JPC Racing!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010
SheizaSoSay

1.)I would buy a used cam if it was the one i wanted and it wasn't showing visible wear.

2.)Depends on the cam. I am ONLY ASSUMING that this would be a NSR(no springs required) cam. and if that was the case you could drive 40/50 miles without hotdogging it.

question to you..how much money you got to blow? what other mods are done to it? Why is the guy selling his cam?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
How many miles on the cams?

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Not much. After car payments, and my $3200 a year insurance (no speeding tickets) I have about $375 to spend. I already have a c & l cold air, 62mm BBK throttle body, hurst short throw, slp exhaust, and its tuned with the diablo sport tuner. So I figure buy the cams and then I need to save up another 400-500 for installation lol.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

they have under 3000
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

I'm sure they'll be fine.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member

+1, should be fine to use. What cams are they? I know I didn't need a tune after i installed my stage 3's but i did put it on a dyno just to check. They guy told me i could get a dyno tune but would probably only pick up around 10rwhp more, but i didn't want to spend that much just for the 10rwhp at that time. Everything looked fine and it was on a brenspeed tune.

2014 Mustang GT, A6, Grabber Blue
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Unless they're really agressive cams they'd be ok to drive on.

1965 Mustang Coupe
SheizaSoSay

Find out what cam exactly it is. If it is NSR cam than you don't have to worry about purchaseing valve springs. Certain cams require not only valve springs, but also phaser lockouts/cam lockouts. That's mo money right there. $375 might be about half of what you need for a cam install. Then you need a dyno tune, probably $450-500. Long tube headers aren't cheap, but I think I would spring for a set of those before I went with a cam. A cam would greatly benefit from long tubes and if you read some of the dyno charts for cam's results they sometimes say they are done with long tubes(comp cams uses them in their test/BBR doesn't. Not having LT's will net you smaller results than what they list. All this to say, I would probably be leaning towards longtubes though they aren't cheap either. About the only thing I can think you could get done for $375 and really feel the impact would be putting some 4.10 gears in there or maybe a dynotune.
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

back in the old days you wouldnt dare put a used cam in a motor unless maybe you got the lifters and had them marked to each cam lobe. But on these OHC motors it doesnt matter...well up to a certain millage I guess. but used low millage cams are ok.

Saleen S/C 3.2 pulley. Chris Rose tune.

Hot Rod cams, GT500 pumps, CHE goodies on the rear, 4.10's, KOOKS/ O/R X pipe with PYPES Violators, Spydershaft, TCI 3500 stall, PA deep tranny pan. Meziere w/p,M&H 325/45/17 DRs.
S/[email protected]/[email protected]
PONY Member
S197 Member

For $375.00 go with a 3.90 rear gear 4.10's are to much and 3.73's might not be enough.

C&L racer cai, FRPP 62mm polished throttle bodies, custom Sutton Ford Racing Tune, Spyder alum ds, Steeda tri ax shrt thrw shftr,BMR lowering springs Steeda UCA, LCA, Steeda adjustable panhard bar and panhard bar brace, Steeda G-Trac Brace, Front sway bar mnt brace,SW LT catted X-pipe magnapack exhst 18x9/18x10 blk bullet dp dish rims,reverse c-stripe side stripes, CDC Billet lower grill,custom vista blue 5-spd shifter ball, 2008 Vista Blue GT flush mount side louvers.Eibach frt/rear sway bars.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
The "not buying/installing a used cam" is old thinking.....with overhead cams....in good shape, you'll be fine. Just check the cam lobes. But being that new....I wouldn't worry.

2005 GT premium convertible. Crimson red leather, 18" w Falken rubber. Procharger P1 HO intercooled kit, GT500 throttle body, C&L intake manifold, Edelbrock shorties, Spec stage 3 clutch, Shelby shorty shifter, 3" Granatelli exhaust. Bilstein Shocks and struts, DBA rotors, Hawk pads, Ford Racing swaybars and springs, billet lower control arms, adjustable upper, adjustable panhard bar.

Corn fed.....523.2rwhp/513.9lbft
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMach View Post
back in the old days you wouldnt dare put a used cam in a motor unless maybe you got the lifters and had them marked to each cam lobe. But on these OHC motors it doesnt matter.
that's what I was thinking when I posted my original response...sigh...sucks gettin old (where have I heard that before??) as ususal, I learn a lot from AFM about these new motors so thanks everyone for "learnin" me and ignore my response above.

2005 Sonic Blue Auto GT, ordered new
Procharger D1SC
Thanks JPC Racing!
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubkap View Post
that's what I was thinking when I posted my original response...sigh...sucks gettin old (where have I heard that before??) as ususal, I learn a lot from AFM about these new motors so thanks everyone for "learnin" me and ignore my response above.
I feel your pain, there is a definate learning curve when you've always delt with pony and muscle cars from the mid 60s to 73. There was no shuch thing as off road or emissions legal, and buying used engine internals was a no no.

Forged bottom end, Ported heads, Saleen super charger, 2.8 blower pulley/15psi, Dual stage water to air intercooler, AFCO heat exchanger, battery relocated, Twin GT500 fuel pumps, T-56 trans, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff, TA Performance rear end girdle, Racecraft suspension system, UCA, LCA, panhard bar, 15" slotted front rotors w/ 6 piston calipers, Carbon Fiber front splitter/rear diffuser, and bunch of other stuff
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page