2009 mustang gt standard doing autocross and wearing out parts quickly - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

2009 mustang gt standard doing autocross and wearing out parts quickly

hey i have a 09 gt and i use the car for track racing school, the fist 4 times (is 2 days each time X 4 runs each day) after t6he 4th time the rear end was oil all over and the rear pads out. the car only have 6500 miles. The dealer replaced front oil pinion gasket and replaced the rear pads. I was surprice .Now 700 miles later one weekend of track oil on the rear end and the rear pad are gone: the deler said because the way i break overheat the rear end ,the oil expand and this is the reason i have oil all over.
have any of you gyes have this problems and how to correct
thanks
roland

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010
MACH I Member

Garage
On top of rear axle, right side, add a 6" rubber hose to overflow valve. Overheating the rear diff and going side to side on road courses, auto X, causes lube to look for a way out and the overflow valve is it. Also, if you plan on hitting the road course more often, change stock brake pads, they can't handle road courses to well.

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
I had to do that to mine. Fluid would foam and run out all over the axle.

1965 Mustang Coupe

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

hey Thanks make sense
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
the stock rear pads stink if you are doing any hard braking.

Hawk HP Plus Mustang Performance Rear Brake Pads (2005+ GT/V6/Bullitt) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

these are built for high demand like what you are doing

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

You probable haven't noticed but the brake fluid will boil under those conditions. You should flush it with some high temp fluid.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

If your traction control is on it will apply the rear brakes “for you” wearing them out fast.

And yes, everyone is correct, the OEM pads are no good for track use. But the rotors and calipers are good enough for most racing so that is an easy fix.

And as stated above brake fluid is the lifeblood of your braking system. And it will get hot, it will overheat and it will boil. No matter how good the fluid you are using is. I wouldn’t consider doing a track day without changing the brake fluid every single time. It’s cheap, easy and doesn’t take long at all. Brakes, for obvious reasons are not something to neglect at all. I change my brake fluid on my racebikes EVERY DAY when I am at the track and it is not beat on nearly as much as with cars. I could do an entire season (7-10) of track days (not race weekends) on one fluid change if I wanted to get away with it. There is no way you could think about doing that with a car.

And as others have also suggested above extend your diff vent so when the fluid does heat up it is less likely to burp out of the system. Changing over to a good synthetic fluid will keep it running cooler and will keep foaming down too. Obviously right now it is getting hot enough to smoke seals, that is way too hot. Try and fix it with good fluid and if that does not work you may be looking at a rear end cooler. They are far less expensive than bearings, diffs, ring & pinions, bearings, axles, seals. And take far less labor than continually replacing the same parts over and over again. Another option is a screw type diff that has been made for roadracing. They don’t have clutches like your “standard” rear end and therefore tend to foam oil a lot less and not create nearly as much heat when doing its thing. Torsen makes the diff used in the FR500’s and they work great. And they are only about $100 more than your standard run off the mill diff upgrades. And as a bonus the way they distribute the power coming off of apexes is far easier to get drives with than an Auburn diff for example.

Good luck, drive it like a rental

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page