white smog coming out of exhaust - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

white smog coming out of exhaust

I have noticed the past few days that i have white smog coming out of my passenger side muffler but not my drivers side even through a 4k rev what could this be?

JLT II, Brenspeed 93 octane tune, Motive 390's, Steeda UDP, Pypes long tube headers, o/r X, Flowmaster American thunder series, Helix throttle body spacer, 12.921 @106.42 2.178 60ft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

thats wild it only does it on the one side with your X pipe. that should let in smoke out both tailpipes. Im not sure what would cause it to smoke on the passenger side..........

Saleen S/C 3.2 pulley. Chris Rose tune.

Hot Rod cams, GT500 pumps, CHE goodies on the rear, 4.10's, KOOKS/ O/R X pipe with PYPES Violators, Spydershaft, TCI 3500 stall, PA deep tranny pan. Meziere w/p,M&H 325/45/17 DRs.
S/[email protected]/[email protected]
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidL16 View Post
I have noticed the past few days that i have white smog coming out of my passenger side muffler but not my drivers side even through a 4k rev what could this be?
Condensation.

In most cases dual exhaust does not have 50% coming out of each side. It gets as extreme as 85%/15% under some circumstances.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

I dont have an X pipe anymore i have Long tubes and o/r H....i just dont understand why it has just now started i mean its 60+ outside here i cant fig it out could it be a motor problem

JLT II, Brenspeed 93 octane tune, Motive 390's, Steeda UDP, Pypes long tube headers, o/r X, Flowmaster American thunder series, Helix throttle body spacer, 12.921 @106.42 2.178 60ft
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

go pull your oil cap off the cam cover...just see what it looks like on the underside. hope it dosent have that nasty yellowish color residue under it. It could clear up after a few days of 60+ temps.

Saleen S/C 3.2 pulley. Chris Rose tune.

Hot Rod cams, GT500 pumps, CHE goodies on the rear, 4.10's, KOOKS/ O/R X pipe with PYPES Violators, Spydershaft, TCI 3500 stall, PA deep tranny pan. Meziere w/p,M&H 325/45/17 DRs.
S/[email protected]/[email protected]
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010
Apprentice

Quote:
Could be:

Condensation - normal

Engine coolant - not normal. Means engine coolant is getting into the combustion chamber.

----------------------------------------------
2005 Mustang GT Convertible - Redfire, Parchment Leather Interior, Black Top - Stock
2008 Shelby GT500 Coupe - Black with Alloy Stripes, Black Leather Interior with Red Inserts - Stock
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
What does the exhaust smell like? If it's sweet, it's coolant.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

no it smells fine it has been rainy here so maybe its just moisture

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
it has been rainy here so maybe its just moisture
Is that like condensation?

Pull your dipstick. If it looks like a milkshake you have coolant in your oil. If it smells like gas you have a bad injector and a washed cylinder.

If you have a leaking head gasket it will run hotter, eat coolant, boil the coolant, pressurize the cooling system until something lets go and like STL mentioned the exhaust will smell sweet. And 99.9% of the time if you pop a head gasket there is no question that something bad just happened. You would be throwing a James Bond smoke screen that would only stop when there is no more coolant.

Itís probably condensation.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

Classic Member
S197 Member

My only concern is it's only one side. If condensation, I would suspect both would be doing the same.

1965 Mustang Coupe
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
Is that like condensation?

Pull your dipstick. If it looks like a milkshake you have coolant in your oil. If it smells like gas you have a bad injector and a washed cylinder.

If you have a leaking head gasket it will run hotter, eat coolant, boil the coolant, pressurize the cooling system until something lets go and like STL mentioned the exhaust will smell sweet. And 99.9% of the time if you pop a head gasket there is no question that something bad just happened. You would be throwing a James Bond smoke screen that would only stop when there is no more coolant.

Itís probably condensation.
been there, fogging for mosquitos

Forged bottom end, Ported heads, Saleen super charger, 2.8 blower pulley/15psi, Dual stage water to air intercooler, AFCO heat exchanger, battery relocated, Twin GT500 fuel pumps, T-56 trans, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff, TA Performance rear end girdle, Racecraft suspension system, UCA, LCA, panhard bar, 15" slotted front rotors w/ 6 piston calipers, Carbon Fiber front splitter/rear diffuser, and bunch of other stuff
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
My only concern is it's only one side. If condensation, I would suspect both would be doing the same.
Waaaaaaaaay too many variables.

If it were a head gasket it should be coming out of both tailpipes also. One more than the other but both for sure.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
Waaaaaaaaay too many variables.

If it were a head gasket it should be coming out of both tailpipes also. One more than the other but both for sure.
True... With a crossover pipe if should come from both, although not necessarily equally.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

it didnt do it today so its looking like im in the clear thanks for the help guys

Classic Member
S197 Member

Had the car sat a couple days without being driven?

1965 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page