rear axle assembly vs ring and pinion - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

rear axle assembly vs ring and pinion

Hi guys
I want to change my gear to 4.10, but from what i heard it is so sensitive . So i am thinking to get a full rear axle assembly and i found one at Newtakeoff. What do you think guys is it better or just change ring and pinion with installation kit.

CUSTOM TUNE DIABLOSPORT PREDATOR,STEEDA CAI,CMDP,STEEDA UDP,BBK TB,KOOKS LT,OFF ROAD X PIPE,BOOMTUBES,STEEDA LOWERING SPRINGS FORD RACING SHOCKS,BMR K-MEMBER,BMR A-ARMS,BMR SWAY BARS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Just get a shop to do the gear swap and depending on milage a bearing kit also.

Forged bottom end, Ported heads, Saleen super charger, 2.8 blower pulley/15psi, Dual stage water to air intercooler, AFCO heat exchanger, battery relocated, Twin GT500 fuel pumps, T-56 trans, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff, TA Performance rear end girdle, Racecraft suspension system, UCA, LCA, panhard bar, 15" slotted front rotors w/ 6 piston calipers, Carbon Fiber front splitter/rear diffuser, and bunch of other stuff
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Get a good installer and the gear swap will be fine. Definitely want a master bearing/install kit to go along with it.

1965 Mustang Coupe

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010
Apprentice

4.10 installed

I just had a friend from my work do the install. Sounds more quiet than the stocker. Boy, what a difference-this car is fun now.
Brenspeed 93 tune and 4.10. Ford shoulda done this on their own.

Brenspeed 93 tune, Detroit Rockers, 4.10, Hurst,Pypes LTs, HiFlo cats,H-pipe,Violators, UMI adj UCA,Spohn LCAs,UMI relocation brackets,Shaftmasters Al DS
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010
GT Member
S197 Member

The secret must be having someone who knows what they are doing do it. After all the horror stories on this board I was really nervous about changing the gear. It went very well and makes no noise at all. Unless you absolutely know some one like that, it is a crap shoot.

Frank

2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Brembos, Auto, GT500 Axlebacks.

SOLD! 2008 GT Premium, Vapor Metallic, 5-speed stick w/MGW, Ford Racing M6066 Whipple S/C, 3.31 gear, GTA's. GT500 front end, spoiler, suspension and wheels. Sequentials and one touch. - can't wipe the smile off my face.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010

I think it would be pretty sweet to have two complete rear assemblies. One set up for track and another for the road(course). That would make it easy to swap.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010
Apprentice
Classic Member
S197 Member

I thought about the same thing, but realized that Newtakeoff.com is probably having someone put 4.10 gears in a 3.31 take-off. So someone other than Ford is setting up that rear. That's my theory anyway, so I'm going with a local Mustang shop to set up my gears.

'11 GT Premium Convertible, stock except for 20" Shelby CS40s.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefinger View Post
I thought about the same thing, but realized that Newtakeoff.com is probably having someone put 4.10 gears in a 3.31 take-off. So someone other than Ford is setting up that rear. That's my theory anyway, so I'm going with a local Mustang shop to set up my gears.
I wouldn't think NTO touches anything. This would cut too far into profits. They just sit back and wait for companies like Roush or Saleen to send in parts and then resell them. I would call and confirm if this was the only concern. Either way someone other than Ford is doing the install.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

thank you guys......
i think i am gonna take the one from Newtakeoff and try it ,if it's work that's good if not ,i will try to fix it.and never toch the orginal one.
why i am thinking like that??? because i dont know if there is a good one to do the install here in my country.
what do think of this $$$$ idea.

CUSTOM TUNE DIABLOSPORT PREDATOR,STEEDA CAI,CMDP,STEEDA UDP,BBK TB,KOOKS LT,OFF ROAD X PIPE,BOOMTUBES,STEEDA LOWERING SPRINGS FORD RACING SHOCKS,BMR K-MEMBER,BMR A-ARMS,BMR SWAY BARS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s197rider View Post
thank you guys......
i think i am gonna take the one from Newtakeoff and try it ,if it's work that's good if not ,i will try to fix it.and never toch the orginal one.
why i am thinking like that??? because i dont know if there is a good one to do the install here in my country.
what do think of this $$$$ idea.
Sounds like a good one. Im all for having extra parts that you can swap out if you need to
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckbubbles View Post
The secret must be having someone who knows what they are doing do it. After all the horror stories on this board I was really nervous about changing the gear. It went very well and makes no noise at all. Unless you absolutely know some one like that, it is a crap shoot.

Frank
Hey Frank,

Where did you get your gears done?

06 Vista Blue Premium GT, Automatic, CDC Shaker Hood System, Pioneer AVIC Z2 DVD/ Navigation System with Rear View Camera, Rear Window Louvers, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, SHR Honeycomb Panel,SHR Flush Mount Louvers, Stainless Tail light Bezels, FRPP Stingers, 3D Carbon Side Scoops, C&L Street CAI, SCT X2 W/ 93 Street-Race Tune, Sequential Turn Signals, CDC Hood Struts, TCI Street Fighter Shifter

Member MCOH & MCA
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DokterD View Post
I just had a friend from my work do the install. Sounds more quiet than the stocker. Boy, what a difference-this car is fun now.
Brenspeed 93 tune and 4.10. Ford shoulda done this on their own.
I'm running the exact same set-up and glad I did. Mine is a quiet as. I think the it's the use of FRPP gears that really helped with the lack of noise. I was worried about highway RPMs with 4.10s, they are fun there too.

Forged bottom end, Ported heads, Saleen super charger, 2.8 blower pulley/15psi, Dual stage water to air intercooler, AFCO heat exchanger, battery relocated, Twin GT500 fuel pumps, T-56 trans, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff, TA Performance rear end girdle, Racecraft suspension system, UCA, LCA, panhard bar, 15" slotted front rotors w/ 6 piston calipers, Carbon Fiber front splitter/rear diffuser, and bunch of other stuff
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page