First time loading a tune, help needed - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

First time loading a tune, help needed

ok so i just order my first custom tune from american muscle. i already have the tuner they are just making another tune for me. i am not pretty confident in downloading the tune my self, is there any process i need to make, any suggestions you guys that have done this before may give. any advice would be greatly appreciated. another thing i heard that the vehicle needs to be brought back to stock, is this true?? thanks in advance!

2008 Mustang GT
Steeda CAI, 91 Octane tune from bama tunes, TB spacer, BBK TB, bassani off road X-pipe, bassani axlebacks, J&M LCAs, stage 2 RAM Clutch, RAM aluminium flywheel, and Tein lowering springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Install Liveload3 and associated drivers from the SCT website. From there it's pretty easy.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

do you know about my car having to be put back to stock to do this upgraded drivers?

2008 Mustang GT
Steeda CAI, 91 Octane tune from bama tunes, TB spacer, BBK TB, bassani off road X-pipe, bassani axlebacks, J&M LCAs, stage 2 RAM Clutch, RAM aluminium flywheel, and Tein lowering springs.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

So you already have a tune loaded?

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

yeah i already have my tune loaded but i am getting a new one by mail. i want to know how to download the tune to the tuner and if i need to take my car back to stock

2008 Mustang GT
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010
GT Member

You do have to reload the stock tune before you go to another custom tune. You cannot go from one custom tune to another. When you reload your stock tune, the tuner will pull the custom tune you have in now (save it) and replace it with the stock tune. When you go to replace the stock tune, the tuner will pull out the stock tune (save it) and then load whatever custom tune you have selected. Same goes if you want to change a parameter like gear ratio, idle speed, tire size etc. You would reload the stock tune, start to load the custom tune and at that time make your changes and then finish loading the custom tune. Hope this isn't too confusing.

2005 black GT premium (5spd) / GT500 front LCA/upper strut mounts / Koni Adjustable (yellow)shocks with Roush Springs / FRPP 4:10 rear gear / BMR rear UCA/LCA+relocation brackets / MGW Shifter / Bassani axle backs / Cervinis heat extractor hood and Ducktail spoiler / Carroll Shelby CS69 20x9/20x10 wheels / MSD Blaster 2 coils / Roush TVS2300 Supercharger+Brenspeed 560R upgrade / Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch / Exedy lightweight flywheel / SR Performance braided stainless clutch Line / Afco Dual Fan Heat Exchanger upgrade / JLT Catch Can / Axle Exchange one piece aluminum DS / Silly grin on my face every time I turn the key.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

a little confusing i just didnt know if i had to put my car back to stock but ill do it anyways before taking my tuner in to download the new tune into it, thanks

2008 Mustang GT
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010
GT Member

Is this something with SCT tuner that you have to put your car back to stock before loading a new tune, or are talking about loading the stock tune back into the tuner before loading in a new into the tuner? I can go from email tune to email tune in my car car without loading the stock tune first.

RIP 2006 Mustang GT
New Ride 04 Pontiac GTO
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

this is about loading the stock tune into the car before messing around with all the software and firmware you have to download before downloading the new tune from your email to the tuner

2008 Mustang GT
GT Member

You don't need to load the stock tune into your car before doing anything with the firmware. If you load the stock tune, your existing tune will be erased from the tuner.

RIP 2006 Mustang GT
New Ride 04 Pontiac GTO
Classic Member
S197 Member

I would never flash the firmware with the OEM tune in the device. If something goes wrong, your OEM calibration is gone forever.

1965 Mustang Coupe
GT Member

Thats weird, my SCT tuner always retrieves and saves whatever tune is removed from the car before I can put the stock tune in and the only prompt a get when I connect the tuner to the car when there is a custom tune installed, is to reinstall stock tune, there is no other option. Having said that, the last time I played around with the tuner was more than a year ago, so perhaps I have some old firmware and you are now able to go from custom tune to custom tune with out reloading the stock tune in between with newer firmware.

I apologize if I confused anyone.

2005 black GT premium (5spd) / GT500 front LCA/upper strut mounts / Koni Adjustable (yellow)shocks with Roush Springs / FRPP 4:10 rear gear / BMR rear UCA/LCA+relocation brackets / MGW Shifter / Bassani axle backs / Cervinis heat extractor hood and Ducktail spoiler / Carroll Shelby CS69 20x9/20x10 wheels / MSD Blaster 2 coils / Roush TVS2300 Supercharger+Brenspeed 560R upgrade / Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch / Exedy lightweight flywheel / SR Performance braided stainless clutch Line / Afco Dual Fan Heat Exchanger upgrade / JLT Catch Can / Axle Exchange one piece aluminum DS / Silly grin on my face every time I turn the key.
Classic Member
S197 Member

You are correct. You do not have to return to stock when changing custom tunes. Never did, even on the XCal2.

1965 Mustang Coupe
Rookie
S197 Member

I have an SCT Livewire and I never go back to stock tune before changing custom tunes, never had any problems. I have the latest firmware on it, so don't know if it was required on earlier firmware versions. Only time I have gone back to stock was the day I got the tuner, and I put one of the preloaded tunes (before I installed my CAI) and turned off the traction control on the options to do a test. Then went back to stock, and after installing my CAI I put the custom one AM gave me. After that I have put new custom tunes without going to stock and haven't had problems.

Anyways first time you try to put a tune on the car, the Livewire saves the stock and you can just back it up on your PC using their software. It locks the tuner to your car. I believe it saves the stock tune until you revert back to stock and it gets unlocked and you connect it to another car, or something similar I read on their manual.

2008 GT Premium Alloy Metallic
Steeda CAI w/Carbon Fiber elbow, BBK 62mm Twin TB, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, 3.55 Gears
Rookie

Along the same lines, I believe that you can return to the stock tune six times before the SCT locks up. However, can i switch from one custom tune to another custom tune an unlimited number of times?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page