Steeda delete plugs installation issues? 2010 Mustang GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Steeda delete plugs installation issues? 2010 Mustang GT

I just got in my Steeda delete plugs and I just heard that they cause an air leak on the back side of the intake were the plugs go. Any one heard any problems with this install. I plan on doing this in the morning but now I am a little worried. I also heard that the back side plugs can fall out in to the piston. I have a new tune from Tillman ready to go after I finish the install so I need some help from you guys.:?:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
As long as the plugs are secure there should be no problem.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010
GT Member
S197 Member

What is supposed to secure them in the manifold? Maybe some Loctite bearing retaining compound (#690?) is OK, or staking the edges to keep them in place, or both.

Frank

2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Brembos, Auto, GT500 Axlebacks.

SOLD! 2008 GT Premium, Vapor Metallic, 5-speed stick w/MGW, Ford Racing M6066 Whipple S/C, 3.31 gear, GTA's. GT500 front end, spoiler, suspension and wheels. Sequentials and one touch. - can't wipe the smile off my face.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010
Site Sponsor

We don't use the Steeda back plug anymore. We use the jack shaft that bolts into the back of the manifold. We cut the jack shaft that used to hold the butterflies off right where it starts, and bolt in the "factory plug" we just made. I may take some pictures, if someone doesn't beat me to it. If you want to know if they're leaking, just put your finger back there, it'll damn near suck it into the back of the motor.

Tillman Speed Inc.
Custom Tuning | In-House Dynojet 224xLC
3344 Market Street Suite C Aston, PA 19014
Sales: (610)497-5776 or 497-3736
Out-of-State Sales: (610)497-3711
Service / Dyno: (610)497-9683
PREMIER DEALER: Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger Systems - Kooks Custom Headers - Magnaflow Exhaust Systems - MORE!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
That sure sounds like a design flaw to me.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Chris,
thanks for talking to me this morning about the delete plugs. I did what you said and it worked perfectly. The all out 93 tune is pretty sweet. Thanks for everything.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
That sure sounds like a design flaw to me.
I think so. I've asked Steeda about it before and they said they've had no problems. The only reason the front one doesn't leak is because it's closed into the manifold. The problem is mostly at idle, as the problem gets better as the volume of air increases through the runner.

The fuel trims are considerably (25%+) off at idle, and then are perfect at like 3000RPM+. I guess when the air is more "stagnant" it escapes and creates a vacuum as opposed to when there's enough air rushing through?

The second you plug the leak up, trims go back to normal, all is well!

Chris Rose

Tillman Speed Inc.
PREMIER DEALER: Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger Systems - Kooks Custom Headers - Magnaflow Exhaust Systems - MORE!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bissl8 View Post
Chris,
thanks for talking to me this morning about the delete plugs. I did what you said and it worked perfectly. The all out 93 tune is pretty sweet. Thanks for everything.
Hey bud,

Glad it worked out nicely for you! If you have absolutely any questions give me a shout!

Chris Rose

Tillman Speed Inc.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Thumbs up Cmcv delete plugs

Just installed the Steeda CMCV delete plugs yesterday on my 2010 Mustang. The installation was very easy and I learned how to stop the air leak on the back side of the manifold. If you use the Steeda instructions you get with the plugs everything is fine but when you install the back side plugs do not install the plugs from Steeda. Instead use the jackshaft that used to hold the butterflies in place and cut the shaft right as it comes out of the plastic moulding. Basically all you are doing is removing the metal shaft so you can re-install the jackshaft to close off the chance of the airleak. Once you rebolt the T screws it secures the jackshaftin place and you are good to go. DO NOT forget to retune your car. After this installation I replaced my custom 93 tune with the all out 93 from Tillman. I have to give Chris @ Tillman alot of credit for taking time to talk to me while I was doing the work. Antime you can get guys take time out of their busy schedule to help you it speeks volumns for the quality compwny they are. Over all the gains were minimal but any time you can gain anything and do it yourself it's worth it to me. I hope this helps someone out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page