What the heck is wrong with my 2009 Mustang GT? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010 Thread Starter

What the heck is wrong with my 2009 Mustang GT?

I started hearing a raspy, ticking kind of sound from my shifter area, which seems to be getting worse. I thought it was something in the transmission, but the mechanic at my Ford dealer thinks its coming from the engine, and being transmitted to the tranny. Now here's where it gets weird. They say yeah, we can hear it, but we don't have another similar Mustang to compare it to, and we don't know what it is, and we called Ford, and they don't know what it is either. So after taking a day off work to take the car to the dealer, that's the result I got. I'm like, well what am I supposed to do, listen to the noise and ignore it? They say, well, we don't think its hurting anything. It may be a normal noise... I'm currently stunned.

The sound, (which to me sounds like an exhaust leak), is loudest under load at about 3000 RPMs.

Should I call the Ford complaint number in the back of my manual? Don't like to piss off the dealer, but at this point, he's not doing me any good.

Last edited by twigstang; 04-14-2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Additional information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Does it make the sound all the time? Is it worse at some times vs others?

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

that sucks. is it under warranty still? i would leave the car with them and tell them to keep it until they fix it. (or try another ford dealer.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010
04GTYellowStang

first off, you took it too your ford dealer. BAD CHOICE! they just want the money in your pocket. Go to a mustang or any car professionalist shop and they will give you the real shpeal. also, do you notice the noise in neutral? im not really sure what it is but take it to a car shop not a ford dealer.

that is unless your under warrenty and its covered ^

Last edited by hotshot; 04-15-2010 at 12:08 PM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Some dealers are just stupid like that. Have you had any exhaust work done such as an x-pipe installed? Is it a 5 speed or auto if it is a stick then tell your mechanic to check out tsb 09-18-16. That sounds like it might be your problem.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010
Apprentice
5.0L Member

oh and alot of offense taken from that yellowstang not all dealers are bad like the one i work at.... j/k alot of dealerships are retarded though and just want to take your money. Just got to get your car to the right person is all.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010
GT Member

IMO 4 out of 5 dealers are horrible for one reason or another. I love it when I find a good one like I have here in Louisiana. I talk them up all the time.

Good luck with the car. Hope they help you out.

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010
GT Member

Do you have an aftermarket shifter?

2005 black GT premium (5spd) / GT500 front LCA/upper strut mounts / Koni Adjustable (yellow)shocks with Roush Springs / FRPP 4:10 rear gear / BMR rear UCA/LCA+relocation brackets / MGW Shifter / Bassani axle backs / Cervinis heat extractor hood and Ducktail spoiler / Carroll Shelby CS69 20x9/20x10 wheels / MSD Blaster 2 coils / Roush TVS2300 Supercharger+Brenspeed 560R upgrade / Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch / Exedy lightweight flywheel / SR Performance braided stainless clutch Line / Afco Dual Fan Heat Exchanger upgrade / JLT Catch Can / Axle Exchange one piece aluminum DS / Silly grin on my face every time I turn the key.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010 Thread Starter

One year old, and falling apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM8810 View Post
Some dealers are just stupid like that. Have you had any exhaust work done such as an x-pipe installed? Is it a 5 speed or auto if it is a stick then tell your mechanic to check out tsb 09-18-16. That sounds like it might be your problem.
Actually, they performed that tsb repair, and afterwards was when the noise started. I took it in with a complaine of a ticking noise from the engine, and they insisted on doing that tsb repair. I'm wondering if they might not have messed something up putting it back together. I mentioned that to the service writer, and he just seemed to blow off the idea. From what I understand, if one dealer flubs a repair, the warranty doesn't cover it if you take it to another dealer to fix. Anyway, I'm at the point of wanting to sell this car. The fun has gone out of it for me.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010 Thread Starter

Discouraged and disappointed in Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman View Post
Do you have an aftermarket shifter?
No, factory original.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010 Thread Starter

Two for Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason6 View Post
that sucks. is it under warranty still? i would leave the car with them and tell them to keep it until they fix it. (or try another ford dealer.
The dealership I purchased it from, Duncan Ford Mazda in Blacksburg Va., didn't even write up a service ticket for it when I took it in to be checked. I'm wondering if they didn't want to have a paper trail of complaints on it. I have since taken it to another dealership, Magic City Ford in Roanoke Va., and they heard the noise, but dismissed it as normal noise. Funny how it didn't have that "normal" noise a year ago when it was new, or before Duncan Ford Mazda did their service on it.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010 Thread Starter

Disappointed in my Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
Does it make the sound all the time? Is it worse at some times vs others?
It is there all the time, but is more noticeable at certain rpm ranges.
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

go back to the dealer and raise holy hell. They need to repair this under warranty!!!Thats what a warranty is for! Speak to the manager of the dealer and take your Dad with you to show then you are serious

==================
2007 Redfire Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Black cloth top, 5 speed, heated seats, IUP, PTP, Dark charcoal with chamois seats, 18" polished wheels, side air bags, Shaker 500, Wheel Locking Kit, Active Anti-Theft System, spoiler delete, Ford racing X pipe, SLP LM's, FRPP Bullitt cai, Tillmans dyno tune, MGW shifter.. born 10/18/2006
GT Member

Ideas

Not sure what TSB 9-18-16 is as I cannot find it in TSB list here.

There is also TSB 06-04-01 on pg. 2 of TSB list here. "Center Stack Rattle".

There is also TSB 8-3-4 "Exhaust Rattle Floor/Console"... but though listed in the TSB list, it does not seem to be available any longer..ask Administrator about that one if you care to.

Has the Dealer put the car on a lift, running, with someone inside the car to get the rattle at a certain RPM, while another tech is UNDER the car, prodding and listening ?

Certainly a tech should at least be able to determine if the noise is from the engine, the transmission, or transmission or exhaust mounts or heat shields.

Is it clear to you as to exactly which TSB was performed ? Maybe they looked at the wrong TSB...their error.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010 Thread Starter

Still being treated poorly by my dealer. They finally admitted there was a noise that shouldn't be there, traced it to the transmission, but apparently Ford doesn't want to fix it. First thing they did was put in a new shifter, no good. Then they put some kind of noise "blanket" from a GT500 on the transmission, no good. Then they replaced the drive shaft, no good. Finally they had a Ford engineer come by and have a look at it, and they say he considered it a normal noise, so nothing more would be done. Adding insult to injury, when they put the "blanket" on the transmission, for some reason they ran some thick wires up through the lower shifter boot, and left them wrapped loosely around the base of the shifter. Now what that's all about I don't know, but suspect it has something to do with holding the "blanket" in place. The result from that is that now, hot air comes up into the car through the gap that the wires cause, and comes out of the console around the parking brake release handle, and the console itself gets very hot, so hot that you can almost not touch it. When they called to tell me the car was "ready", I asked if the "blanket" and wires had been removed, as I had advised them about the problem that they caused, and they said no. I guess some photos, and complaints to Ford are now in order. What the hell kind of goofy stuff is going on with a dealer that would do a jackleg job like this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
dealer , fail , warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page