Still have this funny noise - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Still have this funny noise

I posted a year ago about this odd tinny noise I get in my 06 Mustang automatic. Well... it's still there, not any better or worse. It seems to happen around 1500 and 2000 rpms. It's not very loud but some drives it's more noticable than others.

It sounds like it's comming from the engine compartment. It doesn't happen in neutral or park when revving the motor, the car must be in drive and moving. I hear is on acceleration and deceleration as it passes certain RMP ranges, 2000, 1500 and 1000 or thereabouts.

I read about detonation and some people describe it as pinging. I guess this noise can be described as a faint pinging so I'm curius if there's a way to confirm it's that or rule it out.

I always ran 87 octane when the car was stock and now that it's tuned for 93 that's what I use. I have filled up with 93 on a rare occasion before the tune but the gas never seemed to make a difference to the noise.

92 LX
Holly Systemax, Shorty Headers, TFS Stage 1 Cam, TFS FAC 170 Heads, Cobra Transmission, King Cobra Clutch
RWHP 317

2006 Mustang GT
JLT CAI and a Custom Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010
Rookie

Check this out , engine ping ussually occurs on accel only, read the rpms this prob shows up for the 4.6
TSB
08-3-4

06 Black GT, vortech H.O with DaSilva tune, 464 @ rears. Cervini B2 chin, CDC shaker, side window scoops and rear slats, Eibach pro. Pioneer avic d3 with back-up and hurst shifter
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Where can I get the contents for this TSB?

92 LX
Holly Systemax, Shorty Headers, TFS Stage 1 Cam, TFS FAC 170 Heads, Cobra Transmission, King Cobra Clutch
RWHP 317

2006 Mustang GT

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

I did find the TSB you mentioned but it has to do with an exhaust hanger. Not related to pinging.

92 LX
RWHP 317

2006 Mustang GT
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010
Apprentice

If the noise sounds exhaust/heat shield related, try this thread.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...le-solved.html

2006 GT - Black - Redfire stripes - Red leather - Louvres - 18" Polished Bullits - Flowmaster AT's - 3.73 gears - JLT intake / Bamachips tune
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010
Rookie

Mine does this as well, 2006 GT Automatic. It almost sounds like the tags on my dog's collar jingling. Mine does it in a wider RPM range, pretty much up to 2500+. I can't hear it once it gets beyond that point over the exhaust and normal engine noise, but I think it is still there.

The noise seems more pronounced on acceleration and at constant RPMs. I usually notice it the most while cruising on the freeway between 65-70mph (~2200 RPM). It is considerably more quiet during deceleration.

I honestly don't believe it is pinging. I've heard my car ping, and this noise is different. I even at one point ran my 87 tune on 91 fuel with about 10 degrees of timing taken out to test if it was pinging...the car ran like CRAP, didn't ping, but still made this other noise.

I've inspected the exhaust hangers in the TSB mentioned, and mine are solid. I've also looked at the exhaust heat shields and the plate between the motor and transmission. Everything seems to be tight and normal as far as I can tell.

My car has done this since I got it at ~23,000 miles (at 46,000 now =\). It hasn't gotten any louder, although I noticed that after going to 3.73 gears I hear it more. (higher cruising RPMs)

The 2nd gear on my transmission whines something awful as well...I had Ford tear it down while it was under warranty (about 12,000 miles ago) and they said nothing was wrong with it. The car has continued to make both the whining and this tinny noise without causing any problems so far.

I've pretty much written it off as a "normal" sound. I keep telling myself I'm going to go find another 2006 Mustang with an automatic at a dealership and test drive it to see if it makes this noise, but haven't gotten around to it.

I am glad to hear that my car isn't the only one making this noise, but I really wish I could figure out what it is!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyalex View Post
Mine does this as well, 2006 GT Automatic. It almost sounds like the tags on my dog's collar jingling. Mine does it in a wider RPM range, pretty much up to 2500+. I can't hear it once it gets beyond that point over the exhaust and normal engine noise, but I think it is still there.

The noise seems more pronounced on acceleration and at constant RPMs. I usually notice it the most while cruising on the freeway between 65-70mph (~2200 RPM). It is considerably more quiet during deceleration.

I honestly don't believe it is pinging. I've heard my car ping, and this noise is different. I even at one point ran my 87 tune on 91 fuel with about 10 degrees of timing taken out to test if it was pinging...the car ran like CRAP, didn't ping, but still made this other noise.

I've inspected the exhaust hangers in the TSB mentioned, and mine are solid. I've also looked at the exhaust heat shields and the plate between the motor and transmission. Everything seems to be tight and normal as far as I can tell.

My car has done this since I got it at ~23,000 miles (at 46,000 now =\). It hasn't gotten any louder, although I noticed that after going to 3.73 gears I hear it more. (higher cruising RPMs)

The 2nd gear on my transmission whines something awful as well...I had Ford tear it down while it was under warranty (about 12,000 miles ago) and they said nothing was wrong with it. The car has continued to make both the whining and this tinny noise without causing any problems so far.

I've pretty much written it off as a "normal" sound. I keep telling myself I'm going to go find another 2006 Mustang with an automatic at a dealership and test drive it to see if it makes this noise, but haven't gotten around to it.

I am glad to hear that my car isn't the only one making this noise, but I really wish I could figure out what it is!
Dog collar jingling would be a perfect description! The sound is very faint, most wouldn't hear it is I didn't point it out. I did drive another 06 auto and it didn't make the noise but no one knows what the noise is so they can't fix it.

I can hear it on the highway at times at steady RPM's, usually thew same as I mentioned above but when I hear it the sound comes and goes very quickly. The sound is so diffused in the car that I can't tell where it's comming from. Sometimes sounds like on the left, sometimes the right and then somtimes in the center. I thinks it's from up front, not underneath the car like the engine compartment which is why I'm worried about pinging.

92 LX
RWHP 317

2006 Mustang GT
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Oh... Another time I hear pretty loud is when I'm in a gear higher then my speed, like when slowing down but the car hasn't down shifted yet and then I begin to accelerate. As the RPM's hit 1500 or 2K I will hear that pinging sound and then it will go away when the gear changes.

92 LX
RWHP 317

2006 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page