Llumar Clear Bra Material - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Okay, I have had the Llumar product on my COMPLETE car now for some time. I have very mixed feelings. When it was first installed, it looked great. VERY KEY that you have someone that has done this before do the installation unless your car is stock with respect to body panels and they have the specific kit. For me, my car is not stock and they do not have a kit for a Foose so each piece had to be custom cut. I am not satisfied with the installation on my car as there are some bubbles that I was told would go away with time. They did not! Additionally, the product gets water spots that will not come out and bird droppings still show slightly in certain light. At least with paint, you can buff and they come out. You can buff this material, but since the car top surface for me is black, it shows up any water spots or any material imperfections that may be inherent in the Llumar product. I am sure this would be the same with any similar material and dark color combination. You also need to be considerate for the type of cleaning material and any wax that you use. Make sure it is a wax that does not leave any residue. The installation shop that I used did not bother to tell me that and when I specifically asked, they said to just use a good quality wax. Of course the special blend I have left residue which has been nothing but a pain to clean off of every parting line in the material. Also with my car, they had to put in some relief cuts to prevent the material from drawing or shrinking later. I have not noticed any shrinking so I am wondering about the relief cuts since I have two on my hood where the raised portion of the hood goes down the centerline to the bumper.

On the positive note... I do drive this car daily and it does see interstate traffic. As most of you know, interstate speeds for long duration is very likely to cause you to come into contact with some road hazzards and small rocks. I can say with certainty that this material does prevent damage from items that would have otherwise sent me back to the paint shop again. I had a truck in another lane sill some vinyl or plastic moldings for home construction which were then hit by another truck causing a massive amount of pieces of all sizes to be thrown in the air in front of me. Not being able to do anything, they hit the front, top, and sides of my car at 70+ mph. When I pulled over, there were lots of scrapes and marring all over and I thought I was screwed. I rubbed on the scrapes and they all would come off! I am impressed from that aspect.

So bottom line for me is that I have mixed feelings. I show the car and I know it is hurting me in that area but from a daily drivability aspect, I am satisfied. The cost of the job was around $2600 to get all painted surfaces covered so it is not cheap. If I were to do it over, I would probably just do the front bumper and maybe the bump out areas on the front fenders. These areas seem to take the most hits. Also the area around the front windshield worked out well. I am not sure if I would do the hood again even though the hood does get some of the road hits. All a matter of personal preference I guess and how you intend to use the car.

My 2 cents worth!

Victor
2007 Foose Stallion "The Prowler"
FRPP Polished Whipple SC - 8lb boost, FRPP Hot Rod Cams (M-6550-3V), FRPP Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers, FRPP Tuned Racing Suspension, MagnaFlow Magnapack Catback, Steeda TriAx, Nexus Series - AFM, Vac/Boost, Fuel Pressure, Speed of Sound Dash Pod, Raptor Blue LED Shift Light. 425 RWHP 387 TQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Okay, time for a follow-up to this thread. The film has now been on the car for some time (almost 2 1/2 years). I am definitely seeing some slight degradation in gloss. I decided to remove a section on the rear spoiler that was starting to show more signs of cloudy look so that I could compare the under finish to the plastic film finish side by side. I used a plastic cleaning material called Plexus to clean the deck lid material and then polished with my Random Orbital polisher. I then did minimal cleaning to the painted spoiler area where I removed the Llumar film. There was a drastic difference in shine. So bottom line goes back to what I had said in my previous posts. It all depends on what you intend on doing with the car. Since this car is a daily driver and does a lot of road trips, the film definitely has saved the paint more times than I can count. If I had not done the side by side comparison, I can clean the car and stand back and the car still looks great with the film on it but it definitely does not have the shine that a good clay bar, polish, and sealer would provide. So again, I know I am not going to win shows any longer with this but it is saving me money.

One additional thing to consider is when I had this car wrapped, there were a couple of shops that would do this in my area (Raleigh, NC). The material that was used had some blemishes in it and the shop that did it said it would be covered under warranty. The downside was that I had to relocate to Atlanta and the local Llumar shop near me in Marietta / Kennesaw, GA does not do the film on the car, only windows. So far I have not found another shop willing to look at redoing any of the material. The material / job was sold as a lifetime warranty. So I would check around to see which product is used more frequently in case you have problems and definitely check on warranty levels.

I still think if I were to do it all over again knowing what I do now, I would only do the front clip / bumper and maybe the hood.

Pictures here were taken this past week and as you can see, from a distance the paint with the film still looks great.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Foose in Drive.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	163965   Click image for larger version

Name:	FooseBadge.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	163966  

Victor
2007 Foose Stallion "The Prowler"
FRPP Polished Whipple SC - 8lb boost, FRPP Hot Rod Cams (M-6550-3V), FRPP Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers, FRPP Tuned Racing Suspension, MagnaFlow Magnapack Catback, Steeda TriAx, Nexus Series - AFM, Vac/Boost, Fuel Pressure, Speed of Sound Dash Pod, Raptor Blue LED Shift Light. 425 RWHP 387 TQ

Last edited by MyLocalDJ; 09-20-2012 at 12:52 AM. Reason: added clarity
Apprentice

i have an all black car, resprayed, recleared, the whole 9 yards and only have the front bumper and an 8" section on my hood done...

sh** that stuff is expensive.

the whole car?? wow....thats a ton of clear flim

2010 Mustang GT, FRPP 3:73.1 gears, Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. supercharger, SCT brenspeed tune, KOOKS LT headers, catted H pipe, SSS axleback exhaust, Comp Cams Detroit RoCkErS, brenspeed grind, DuPont SuperJetBlack re-spray w/ ChromaPremier clear, blocked down and buffed out, no orange peel! and a 3m clear bra.. It sounds like my Ducati 996 now. :-P
BHP? Lots, I guess...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page