2005 Mustang V6-Weird Electrical problems with my car, HELP! - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie
S197 Member

Angry Same Issue

I'm curious if there was any progress made on this issue.

I just pulled mine out of the garage yesterday, nothing out of the ordinary going on. I went to work today, and it rained pretty good which could be the issue, but I go to start it today, and everything goes haywire.

My biggest worry is the window drop continued as soon as I opened the door afterwards and now my windows are halfway down and I have no power to raise them. I do have power though, as all my lights blink and flash when I try to turn the key.

She was running fine yesterday!

I may need to call in an exorcist

EDIT: I did some more searching on the site and found a common issue with a leak on the passenger side interfering with the SJB after a heavy rain. I did hear clicking coming from the SJB when the lights were clicking on and off. I'm hoping this is the problem, at least I would know what was wrong. I'll update if I find anything or the car magically starts working again.

2005 Mustang GT - C & L Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Exhaust

Last edited by Chris KT; 04-08-2013 at 08:58 PM. Reason: More Searching
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Banned
S197 Member

my wife had an 05 ford escape and I stopped to get some gas in it and the damn thing went haywire on me like that. When I finally got it to start took it home and the battery had some corosion so I cleaned it all up and still had the same problem. Bought a new battery and it was fine after that. Not sure it's the same thing with your car but something might be going on with the battery.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkzilla View Post
It sounds like you may have a bad ground wire. Follow the large black wire from the battery to the chassis. You may need to replace it. There is also a ground wire that comes off of the starter (located underneath on the passengers side). Check this wire as you may need to replace it too. Pull all the connections of the starter and clean them. Spray all connections with terminal protector.
With grounds in mind, check all over the engine bay for any wires bolted to the chassis. Those are all grounds and need to be free of corrosion and making a clean contact with the chassis. My wife's Taurus was having some weird electrical issues; engine would cut out at random, sometimes wouldn't turn over then would be fine for a week. I went over everything with a fine tooth comb and ended up finding that the bolt connecting a ground braid to the engine block was covered in corrosion. I cleaned it up with some battery terminal cleaner until the metal was shining again, tightened everything back up and the car has been running issue free ever since.

Worst case scenario though is that the car's ECU may be going bad. If something shorted out the computer may be fried at which point it would have to be replaced.

2005 Sport-Utility Mustang Convertible

Rookie
S197 Member

Progress made

Well I cleaned up all my battery connections and shock tower ground, and I have power back in my system, but it still goes haywire when I try to start it. Guessing my issue is with the starter ground now. I'm going to buy some jack stands tomorrow, clean up that connection and see where that puts me.

I'm just glad I got my window controls back and was able to roll them up! Week's forecast here in Michigan, 100% rain. Joy.

However, I'm still worried about this passenger side leak into the smart junction box I've found all over the internet for the 2005. Car's working one day, it rains, system no longer works. Ford charges over $1000, and still doesn't fix the issue. Not a scenario I'd like to see.

GT Member

Put a voltmeter on the battery (should read about 12.6 volts just sitting there). Have someone try cranking it while you watch the meter. If the voltage dips below 9 volts the battery is either going bad or not being charged properly by the charging system. If it stays above 9 volts and everything goes nuts then you still have problems elsewhere.

The SJB is easy to check for water incursion, just look around for moisture in the area of the passenger kick panel. If you take the panel out to have a look even better.
Rookie
S197 Member

The Simplest Things

Well turns out my battery had a bad cell. It was reading 12.6 amps across the posts, but I'm guessing not enough cranking amps.

Replaced the battery and it seems to be running fine now. Haven't seen any more problems today.

Rookie

My 2005 mustang did the same thing it was the alternator cost me 140.00
Apprentice

Welp, I'm having this EXACT same problem.

I've checked the battery, it's good. I've replaced the alternator as well. Still got the same problem as the OP. Sometimes, if I leave the battery unhooked for a while it will have power and will start then it might stall out while driving or work fine for an hour then not start again when I turn it off. And by not start, I mean nothing. No power anywhere in the car.

Any ideas?
Apprentice

12 volt DC system-
Current only goes 1 way.
12 year old car, connections are getting bad in a few places.
Take you car to a good auto electrical mechanic. They can find your problem or
Do you belong to a Mustang Car Club in your area? Many club members have had your problems!

1965 Mustang 289 Auto
1967 Mustang Fastback 289 4-Speed
1991 Toyota MR2 2.4 turbo 5-Speed
2005 Mustang Conv. Premium Auto
2007 Mustang GT Premium Auto
2013 Mustang V6 Premium Auto Convt. GHIG
2019 Mustang GT Premium Auto Convt. Need for Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page