Rattle after MGW shifter install. 2010 Mustang GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Rattle after MGW shifter install. 2010 Mustang GT

Hey fellas.

Just installed my MGW Shifter. Everything went great. Shifter works fine, I used an 8 turn adjustment. Very short.

Though I realized when I'm really lead-footing and running out my gears, I hear a rattle as the RPMs climb near the engine.

I was prepared for some additional road noise, even though I used all of the Dynamat they gave me. Even used blue loctite on the front bracket.

Any ideas? I may go under again when I get a chance and see if that front bracket is tight enough.

However, when I'm not running her hard, she sounds fine and beautiful. *shrug*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010
GT Member

I would check over everything you did then if no problem there, call mgw- 706 793 1770. Mine is scheduled to be shipped Wednesday, so i'm interested in how this issue will be solved....

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010
BOSS Member

Garage
If you wanted rattle you should have bought a Hurst. It's cheaper.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
If you wanted rattle you should have bought a Hurst. It's cheaper.
Its obvious that the o/p didn't want a rattle, and yes everyone knows about the hurst rattles, but its a cool looking shifter. The MGW shifter is not known for rattles, and thats the reason why the o/p posted this..

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I won't be able to get back under her until about Friday. I may have a shop take a look at it when I do the Tune and Gears.

Driving her to the market last night I notice less of a rattle but my windows were mostly open. It is cool to hear the exhaust come up through the shifter boot, sounds a ton more bad-ass.

But yeah I purchased the MGW for the whole purpose that I didn't want the rattle the Hurst makes.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Reading through other How-To's I may have put the insulation in backwards, that might explain the additional road noise (backwards as in I out the MGW Insulation down before the Ford one) I'm gonna reverse it this afternoon see if that tightens things up a bit.

Apart from that everything seems about right from what I did. MGW needs to send a better How-to. If you're doing this yourself, use Taco Bill's How To, it's much better and guides you a bit on dynamatting.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Fixed the insulation... Still a pretty noticeable rattle. I need to take the car back to the shop to have the bumper fixed. turns out the insurance adjuster thought I hit the deer with my hood and fender and didn't see all the cracked paint in the bumper and the shop didn't think that was reason enough to fix it.

Therefore, this little shifter ordeal will have to wait until that's finished, again. I swear I've had the worst luck imaginable with this car.

But I'll get back to you guys once I get back under there and see what the deal is.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010
Apprentice

I just had mine installed. I have yet to hear a rattle, or any more noise than stock. knock on wood... You said you have your's adjusted to 7. wow! I have mine adjusted to 3 and it's really short. maybe if you back off a little, it might help with the rattle. worth a try...

2011 GT Race Red, 402A, 3:73's, Steeda Cold Air Pro kit, 93 tune, American Thunder Axle Backs, Roush Shifter Ball Kit (white)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchstavley View Post
I just had mine installed. I have yet to hear a rattle, or any more noise than stock. knock on wood... You said you have your's adjusted to 7. wow! I have mine adjusted to 3 and it's really short. maybe if you back off a little, it might help with the rattle. worth a try...
Guys, I was under the impression that no adjustment was needed on the shifter because the '10 GT transmission has internal stops. What am I missing here?

=====-------------------==============------
2010 Mustang GT Premium
3.73 Gears
19" Wheels
MagnaFlow Axlebacks - 16573
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrafeen View Post
Guys, I was under the impression that no adjustment was needed on the shifter because the '10 GT transmission has internal stops. What am I missing here?
The MGW shifter allows you to adjust how short the shift will be. This is the adjustment they are talking about. it reduces the shift from a minimum of %15 to a max of %50 reduction.

BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona stang10 View Post
Its obvious that the o/p didn't want a rattle, and yes everyone knows about the hurst rattles, but its a cool looking shifter. The MGW shifter is not known for rattles, and thats the reason why the o/p posted this..
I'm a Hurst owner so I can make fun of MGW owners with rattles.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchstavley View Post
Perhaps? my shifts are very short, it sits in first gear where my previous neutral position was. I like it.

After fixing the insulation, I'm not getting any road noise, it just sounds like Im hearing a lot more of my engine, coming from behind the dash. I can't hear anything annoying when the windows are open or music is on, but when Im in dead silence, and I give it a lot of gas, it almost sounds like a knocking but it keeps with the RPM increase...

I think I'll have a shop check on my work and see if they can deduce a problem.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

MGW tech suggests that 8 turns is a little extreme. Said try to take it down 2 turns to 6 or so.

Also asked me to check for loose clips or plastic pieces. So I'm gonna give that a try when I can get under her again.

See how it goes.
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Check to see if it's the E-brake handle. The install video CD even has a "how to" fix included.

'09 Vapor GT Premium, 5 speed, HID lights, Leather, Sequential Tail lights, SHR Lower Grill Inserts, JLT CAI, Brenspeed Tunes, MGW Shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page