Supercharger making contact with underhood insulation - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Supercharger making contact with underhood insulation

Not quite finished with whipple install (waiting for parts) and I fit checked the hood and found it makes solid contact with underhood insulation blanket. Anybody here had this problem?

2007 GT COUPE-475HP Ford Racing Whipple TOO MANY MODS TO LIST - SEE PROFILE
1995 LEXUS LS - 400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Where is it hitting?

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010
BOSS Member
S197 Member

My pulley had some mild contact with the hood liner. Didn't hinder the performance, just made rub marks on the liner when running. Tillman Speed told me the Whipple installation guide instructs you to remove the liner I think. So I see no reason to not remove it.

Chris @ Tillman said there shouldn't be problem with heat and the paint bubbling. At first I just cut a hole around where the pulley made a mark so it wouldnt touch and decided that looked like cra*. so I just took my chances and removed the whole hood liner. Haven't had any issues with the paint yet.

Just make sure the pulley isn't hitting the hood. You may have a diff problem then. Might need motor mounts or something.

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010
PONY Member

if you read the install manual itll say to remove the heat shield due to rubbing, i havent done it yet because the rubbing isnt that serious. Your performance will not suffer at all. If anything, just cut a hole in the area of contact and be done with it.

CURRENT: 2011 Silver SVT Raptor Screw with tons of goodies.

WTB: 2011-2012 Black GT500 (June/July)

SOLD: 09 Dark Candy Apple Red GT (465 rwhp, 450 torque) ... lots of mods...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
Where is it hitting?
It's hitting a sensor on the fuel rail that I had to install while putting in shelby guage pod.

2007 GT COUPE-475HP Ford Racing Whipple TOO MANY MODS TO LIST - SEE PROFILE
1995 LEXUS LS - 400
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010
Apprentice
Classic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanger07 View Post
Not quite finished with whipple install (waiting for parts) and I fit checked the hood and found it makes solid contact with underhood insulation blanket. Anybody here had this problem?
Yeah, it's in the instructions to remove it.

When I had the 400 HP & the larger 3.875(?) pulley it was hitting, so I took it off. I had it off for roughly 7 months before I upgraded to the HO kit and 3.375 pulley. I reinstalled the liner now because I was tired of looking at the half painted underside of my hood that Ford was too cheap to paint.. After 6 months and acouple thousand miles, there are no rubbing issues.

2008 Prem GT - Vista Blue - 5spd manual - 3.55 L/S - IUP - Spoiler delete

List of Mods: www dot fquick.com/garages/Ford/M...GT/2008/18208

Best 1/4: 12.0 @ 117 mph - 1.89 60'
Dyno Tuned: 466whp & 445trq (8-9lbs of boost)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanger07 View Post

Yeah...when my belt broke!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010
GT Member
S197 Member

I had that problem when the blower was installed. I cut a small section on the blanket where it was hitting, and thought that would be enough. I then saw where it was contacting the hood above where I cut the small section out. Lower engine mounts? I didn't want to do that. I put my underdrive pulleys back on and used a 3.25" pulley.
That lowered the boost some (where the engine will live longer) and has solved the clearance problem. I originally was showing 9-9.5 psi boost and now have 6.5-7 psi. I can tell the difference, but i know this level is much easier on the engine.

Frank

2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Brembos, Auto, GT500 Axlebacks.

SOLD! 2008 GT Premium, Vapor Metallic, 5-speed stick w/MGW, Ford Racing M6066 Whipple S/C, 3.31 gear, GTA's. GT500 front end, spoiler, suspension and wheels. Sequentials and one touch. - can't wipe the smile off my face.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

That pad is in there so the car will pass DOT noise emissions, that's its only job. Yank that sucker out and throw it in the trash can

It's "Extra"

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page