Steeda Cold Air Intake Problems 2007 Mustang GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Angry Steeda Cold Air Intake Problems 2007 Mustang GT

Is anyone besides myself having trouble with "engine lights" coming on with the Steeda Cold Air Intake? I purchased a brand new "top of the line Steeda Cold Air Intake from American Muscle and i have been having nothing but trouble since. My exhaust burns black, bad cold starts, back firing in the morning. I have had to remove it twice, taken the vehicle to Ford to have the engine re-programed. Everytime i put it back on i have the same problem. Any advice? 2007 Mustang GT.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARVET View Post
Is anyone besides myself having trouble with "engine lights" coming on with the Steeda Cold Air Intake? I purchased a brand new "top of the line Steeda Cold Air Intake from American Muscle and i have been having nothing but trouble since. My exhaust burns black, bad cold starts, back firing in the morning. I have had to remove it twice, taken the vehicle to Ford to have the engine re-programed. Everytime i put it back on i have the same problem. Any advice? 2007 Mustang GT.
Did it come with a tuner? You can't run that CAI w/o a canned tune.

2005 GT coupe
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I got the same one and it runs perfectly. The only problem I had was my own when I forgot to hook the Mass Airflow sensor back up. If you got it tuned double check all your connections.

1969 Mustang Fastback, 347 Stroker, Tremec 5 speed.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Zero problems on my 2008 GT Brenspeed tune. That CIA must have a special tune and Not the factory setting.

I also agree, check all the connections.

Blueblaze
2011 GT 5.0 Premium Coupe, Kona Blue, Interior Charcoal /Grabber Blue ,6 speed MT, Comfort Group, ,Brembo Brakes , 3.73 Gears, Security Package, Shaker1000, Polk Speakers, CDC Chin Spoiler, JLT Oil Separator, Custom Grille layout, HID, Brenspeed 93 Tune /Steeda CAI , GT500 SVT Axle Backs
A new Beast in disguise…..
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
You cannot run that intake with the stock computer calibration!

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010
PONY Member

Oops, did someone forget to read the directions?

From Steeda's website:

"Steeda's lifetime filter can be cleaned and re-oiled, but the big news here is that we've streamlined the airflow in the S197 Mustang to the point that a computer re-flash isn't just an option, it's required!"

~HA

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010
PONY Member
2.3L Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARVET View Post
Any advice?
Since you didn't mention whether or not you have a handheld tuner, I am assuming you don't.

Take the Steeda intake off and put your stock intake back on until you get a tuner for it. The computer has to be retuned with an aftermarket tune, though not to factory settings, to compensate for the increased airflow that the Steeda intake provides.

If I am assuming incorrectly and you do have a tuner and just failed to mention it, something is obviously wrong and you need to get with the company that provided the tune to fix it.

White 1993 Mustang LX 2.3L; my trusty daily driver.
Black 2005 Mustang GT; my babied weekend warrior.
"Money doesn't grow on trees. It's planted in my Mustangs."
I am a girl and yes, these are my Mustangs!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Armor View Post

From Steeda's website:

"the big news here is that we've streamlined the airflow in the S197 Mustang to the point that a computer re-flash isn't just an option, it's required!"

~HA

Those were the same instructions I got with my Steeda CAI in 2005, and it gave me 5 years of trouble-free operation until I went FI.

2005 Sonic Blue Auto GT, ordered new
Procharger D1SC
Thanks JPC Racing!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Promlem Solve-able (Thanks)

Thanks to all who posted and offered help. I just realize that the SCT for my 2005 was different and will not work for the 2007 GT. I have odered a new SCT that should be in the mail in a few days. $379.00 later. Fact: 4 years in Iraq and you begin to loose a sense of "the little things" and those are what count. Attention to Detail. Thanks to all who replied.
GT Member

Thanks for your service.

Hope this fixes your problem.
Did you order the new tuner from American Muscle. They seem to have taken over the email and mail order tune business. What until you feel the difference that intake makes with a solid tune. The intake and a Brenspeed tune got me to 13.4 @105.

2005 Ford Mustang GT Torch Red Manual
Saleen Super Shaker 3.4 pulley/Brenspeed Tune
Kooks Longtubes Catted H/FRPP Stingers
Full BMR And Steeda Suspension
FRPP Throttlebody
Dynotech Driveshaft
SOLD!! I have no Mustang at this time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page