Automatic Shifting - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Automatic Shifting

Hello,

Could I ask for someone's help. Last week I bought a 2008 GT/CS with a automatic transmission. Is it harmful to the transmission if I'm shifting this car by hand?

For instance. I was driving down a local road in "drive" and when I was coming close to the on ramp to get onto the highway, I manually downshifted from "drive" to "3rd" then to "2nd"

Then once I was on the ramp I kicked her down and shifted through the gears back up to drive. Will this hurt the tranny?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010
GT Member
S197 Member

Don't see why it would hurt.If it hurt the transmission,they wouldn't put in shifter to let you do it.Computer is smarter than we are but I shift mine sometime just for fun.:kooky:

2006 Gt Premium coupe,automatic,white with red Shelby stripes,18 in.wheels,seq lites,plem. cover,Rouse hood scoop and flowmasters,Steeda strut brace,Steeda polished stainless fuse and radiator covers,rear camera(Boyo tag cam)thru Crimestopper rear mirror.Ford molded mud flaps,Silverhorse polished billet fuel door,and chrome console trim.Headlight Splitters.American Muscle Raxiom 2010 taillights.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010
GT Member

I do the same thing with mine, ours just don't downshift very quickly when letting off the gas. I've driven a few of those German cars with autos and the paddle shifters and even without using the paddle shifters they downshift so quickly in sport mode you barely need to touch the brakes. If you want to slow down fast in ours, you need a combination of manual downshiting and brakes. I've always done it that way with all my cars and couldn't imagine the Ford engineers would design this to be harmful. Just my $.02.

2005 Sonic Blue Auto GT, ordered new
Procharger D1SC
Thanks JPC Racing!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010
Banned

It isn't harmful but it's so far less than necessary unless you've got more than just a few bolt-ons in your car. If you're talking about competitive driving.....well doing it with an auto is probably a bad idea to begin with, but just accelerating the computer can do it better than you ever could by hand, you also run the risk of redlining.

Personally if I'm not launching the car there's a bit of a tip in problem with the TPS if the car's in drive. So if I want to leave a stop light with any sort of grace and civility I have to shift myself. And if you've GOT to go from a roll then you can shift down manually to get a better start, but from a stop "D" is the way to go.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
TCI ratchet shifter will make it safer since it has lockouts to prevent a mis-shift

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
TCI ratchet shifter will make it safer since it has lockouts to prevent a mis-shift
I shift mine all the time too especially on secondary roads or heavy traffic. I've had my TCI shifter for about a year, and it woks as advertised.

"Geezer Club"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I have been manually shifting my 01 auto for 20,000 miles with no problems. I like to better performance my car gives while shifting. Just watch the redline. Good luck.

License and registration please.

Current rides:
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010
Apprentice

been driving mine like that also. and wondering if i was hurting mine by doing this. not too worried though. still have 70,000 miles of warrenty left. tci is next on my wishlist!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page