DTC code won't clear.... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

DTC code won't clear....

Hey guys,

I got a small evap leak P code today, so I plugged my SCT tuner in and tried to clear it, but I got an error saying "Could not clear DTC". Does anyone know why I cant? I thought we were able to clear codes with these tuners.

Also, are evap system leaks usually do to something with the gas tank area of the car?

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

You have to fix the problem before you can clear the code. It might be the fuel cap or a small vent or cannister hose.

Chuck
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

How will the car know if I did anything?

I tightened the gas cap, and it seems on. Where are the other places to check?

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

I had to have my gas cap replaced, it did not seal properly. don't know what the code was since the dealer took care of it under warranty.

Not sure about resetting it.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08GTCA View Post
You have to fix the problem before you can clear the code. It might be the fuel cap or a small vent or cannister hose.
Not true. The code should still clear and then come back.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
Not true. The code should still clear and then come back.
Figured it out. I had to have my car turned on, not just had the key turned to on position. Drove to work this morning, and before turning the car off, I tried to clear it again, and it cleared. Hopefully it won't come back, otherwise might have to take it in to the dealer.

2013 Shelby GT500
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TheKurgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0scoops123 View Post
Hey guys,

I got a small evap leak P code today, so I plugged my SCT tuner in and tried to clear it, but I got an error saying "Could not clear DTC". Does anyone know why I cant? I thought we were able to clear codes with these tuners.

Also, are evap system leaks usually do to something with the gas tank area of the car?

It could be the sensor which is located under the hood on the driver's side's fender well...OR it could be something much worse. The tuner should be able to read/clear the code with the car not running. I had that problem once too and had to wait for SCT to update the firmware. After they came out with the update and I installed it then I could read DTC codes again.

If they play, I spray.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
very true, i was able to clear a code i got last year and it just kept popping up till i fixed the problem. Its an issue with the tuner i'd say.

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page