power windows and convertible top stopped working - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

power windows and convertible top stopped working

Today when I was going to park my 2008 GTCS the convertible top and windows just didn't work. They are just dead... I checked fuses and relays but they all seem fine. Any ideas? What can cause both windows and the top to stop working?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010
GT Member

Looking at the book quickly, what they have in common is a ground behind LEFT kick panel...a double black wire bolted to the body...just to the rear of the fuel pump cutoff switch. Requires removing drivers side sill plate large plastic piece, then removing kick panel.

Are the W/S wipers also not working ? Check all accessories and let us know if any other items are not working in addition to top and windows.

We need to discern whether or not this is related to the Smart Junction Box....a recurring problem for some of us due to water leaks into the PASSENGER kick panel area.

These (windows and top) also have in common as ONE of their power sources needed...a 5 amp fuse in the very bottom of the Smart Junction Box (fuse box located passenger kick panel). Certainly a water leak could cause a problem here.

Last edited by hotshot; 05-18-2010 at 11:49 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

That is very interesting. Since it was raining I had to leave the car in a friends garage so I will not have access to it until tomorrow morning, but that will be the first thing I will look for. Do you know the name or number of that fuse, I am sitting with the manual here...

If I read the manual right that must be the "Accessory delay feeds" fuse ( number 6). Is this the one you are talking about?

Last edited by hotshot; 05-18-2010 at 11:51 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010
GT Member

I am a former tech, but NOT great at electrical...just trying to help.

I am looking in the Wiring Diagrams Service Manual...not the customer user guide.

Would you believe, I now find there are two fuses in car smart junction box related to these items.
There are eight fuses plus two relays in the Bussed Electrical Center (underhood fuse box) related to these items.

Inside the car both related fuses are each 5 amp fuses.

I will send you a picture of the in car fuses related soon...just have to take a pic of technical illustration in my book.

Caution: I flunked out of The Peddie School in 1963. LOL

Yes, I think accessory delay (fuse 2.6 in diagram) would be it... as it goes to windows, radio, locks.
Other fuse in pic goes to climate control and overhead console (fuse 2.10 in diagram)
Both are 5 amp fuses.

SJB is obviously upsidedown in pic...that's the way they put it in the book.

Left end of pic is towards firewall, right end front of car.

Was it raining in and on the car (with the top down) before you were able to park it covered in a garage ? If so, the overhead console may have gotten wet. Maybe the entire thing will have dried out and working again when you go back to the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5144388 2.jpg
Views:	2559
Size:	359.5 KB
ID:	98731   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5144389 2.jpg
Views:	9455
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	98735  

Last edited by hotshot; 05-18-2010 at 11:51 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

No it wasn't raining when this happened. It was sunny... But what was strange was that just a couple of hours before, I noticed that the power mirror fuse was blown (which I changed) so maybe water has entered the passenger side fuses? I will let you know what I find tomorrow. Thanks for all your help.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010
GT Member

yes i see now that fuse is also at the bottom of fuse box...in the same row as the one you previously mentioned...could leaked water stand here..for a while...at the bottom of the fuse box and cause problems ???

If you find water, we'll deal with that next. Might be time to get out the hairdryer to dry fuse box, then later look for a leak.

Suggest you check for water on passenger footwell area...both on top of carpet and lift corner of carpet to see if padding underneath is wet...sometimes water gets ONLY UNDER carpet....making us think the area is dry.

You may still have warranty, but they won't take the time to look for a leak that you, the owner would be willing to do.

there are various threads here (in allford forums) about water leaks on these cars and I have contributed to some of the answers to water leaks as I had one on my car. Water leaks can be from various places on these cars.

Bottom of fuse box in my own car.
Shows you where, if water gets into bottom row of fuses and accessory delay relay, it might sit there and blow both fuses relating to power windows and power mirrors...both powered through accessory delay relay.
Question is this: Specifically which location of a water leak would have water ending up in this lower left portion of the SJB and fuse box ?

Latest PDF of water leaks plus pics from other people's posts here:

Note: latest PDF now has pics also plus tech illustrations...and some of those pics are also of areas of car NOT covered by attached pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_5154408.jpg
Views:	6785
Size:	392.6 KB
ID:	98976   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03746a.jpg
Views:	1040
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	99161   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03747a.jpg
Views:	789
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	99162   Click image for larger version

Name:	drip_guard !.JPG
Views:	1124
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	99163   Click image for larger version

Name:	drip_guard_800.JPG  2.JPG
Views:	1114
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	99164  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf mustang%20leak[1].pdf (282.3 KB, 640 views)

Last edited by hotshot; 05-18-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page