Dry Rotted Tires and warpped Rotors on 2005 Roush Sport - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to 90 Stanger GT Send a message via MSN to 90 Stanger GT Send a message via Yahoo to 90 Stanger GT
Dry Rotted Tires and warpped Rotors on 2005 Roush Sport

I bought a 2005 Roush Sport from the Ford Dealer and had it less than 2 months and put less than 1000 miles on it. The dealer had it for 3 weeks of that time replacing the engine. Now I found out that the rotors are warped, I took it in for them to look at it and they said they could not see anything, but took it to someone else and they said the rotors are warped and tires are dry rotted. I contacted service center and they said that the rotors and tires are not covered under warranty. I told them that I think that the rotors and tires were missed during the pre inspection prior to sale. The dealer told me it passed and the tires can pass even though the tires are dry rotted.

Is this true that tires can pass inspection even though they are dry rotted? There is no way I had the car long enough or even put enough miles to warp the rotors and have the tires dry rot on me...

2010 Mustang GT Premium
Ford Racing Axel Backs
3.55s
Comfort Package
GT package
Security Package
5 Speed
Ambient Lighting package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010
GT Member

Tires

Most inspection items are up the the mood and the feeling of the person who inspects at the moment.

All tires have a date code on them. Suggest you read online how to figure out just how old those tires are. And tires exposed to lots of sunlight can be damaged much sooner than those that have not. It is possible that the aftermarket company used old tires to begin with...as I know they upsize wheels.

Sounds like the Dealer got in over their head with the engine swap and now they don't want to spend any more of their money on the same car after the sale. Sorry for you I am.

Rotors are cheap and are also sold online as takeoffs if that car has original GT rotors...I am not sure if Roush upgrades brakes or not.
Some very good quality tires are also cheap...depends on the size.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to 90 Stanger GT Send a message via MSN to 90 Stanger GT Send a message via Yahoo to 90 Stanger GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by s197gt View Post
Most inspection items are up the the mood and the feeling of the person who inspects at the moment.

All tires have a date code on them. Suggest you read online how to figure out just how old those tires are. And tires exposed to lots of sunlight can be damaged much sooner than those that have not. It is possible that the aftermarket company used old tires to begin with...as I know they upsize wheels.

Sounds like the Dealer got in over their head with the engine swap and now they don't want to spend any more of their money on the same car after the sale. Sorry for you I am.

Rotors are cheap and are also sold online as takeoffs if that car has original GT rotors...I am not sure if Roush upgrades brakes or not.
Some very good quality tires are also cheap...depends on the size.

I agree with you that the dealer does not want to pay anymore than they have to but I have filed a complaint with the MD States Attorney for the rotors and tires and contacted Ford. I was floored when the dealer told me "Just because the tires are dry rotted, does not mean they will not pass inspection" WTF!!! The dealer is $3500 in the hole already because of them having to replace the engine.

The rotors are stock and I could replace them with ProSlots and Hawk pads but still its money out of my pocket, approx $500 and that is with me installing them. The tires are BG GoodRich GForce KDs 275/40/18s and cannot get those but im looking $200 for another BF Goodrich tire for $400ea for a Goodyear Eagle 1...either way, its still money out of my pocket when it should have been taken care of prior to sale of the car...

2010 Mustang GT Premium
Ford Racing Axel Backs
3.55s
Comfort Package
GT package
Security Package
5 Speed
Ambient Lighting package

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Did you purchase the car with a warrenty or as is. Rotors and tires are user replacable parts that are never covered under warrenty either. Your gonna have to bite the bullet and pay for them. Or pay for a lawer to fight the dealer and still have to pay the lawer and for new rotors and new tires when you lose.

'05 GT
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckerpuck View Post
Did you purchase the car with a warrenty or as is. Rotors and tires are user replacable parts that are never covered under warrenty either. Your gonna have to bite the bullet and pay for them. Or pay for a lawer to fight the dealer and still have to pay the lawer and for new rotors and new tires when you lose.

I bought it with the Ford Premium Care warranty and was told it was bumper to bumper..I know its not a warranty item but it was sold that that and I think they need to replace them...That is almost $2K of work to be done...where in the hell am I going to come up with that kinda money...regardless, it should have been caught prior to sale...Who would think you would have to replace the tires and rotors after having a car less than 2 months, minus the 3 weeks they had it..

2010 Mustang GT Premium
Ford Racing Axel Backs
3.55s
Comfort Package
GT package
Security Package
5 Speed
Ambient Lighting package
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

And a warrenty is just a slip of paper that means nothing as they can service what they want when they want. As most warrentys dont cover anything but powertrain. Either way if you didnt notice when you got the car they are going to say the rotors were fine when they sold you the car same with the tires. Better start saving , I dont know how tires and rotors are going to cost you 2 grand though, unless your upgrading.

And why did they have the car for 3 weeks replacing the engine, it blew up right away?

'05 GT
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckerpuck View Post
And a warrenty is just a slip of paper that means nothing as they can service what they want when they want. As most warrentys dont cover anything but powertrain. Either way if you didnt notice when you got the car they are going to say the rotors were fine when they sold you the car same with the tires. Better start saving , I dont know how tires and rotors are going to cost you 2 grand though, unless your upgrading.

And why did they have the car for 3 weeks replacing the engine, it blew up right away?
I know, I know....its just messed up...no matter the way you look at it...I priced tires and they are $200-$400 a piece, plus mounting and stuff...then for PowerSlot rotors, they are just over $500 plus $200 for Hawk Pads....

The engine thru a rod bearing and they tried to fix it, they pulled the engine twice and could not fix it, so they bought a used engine from salvage and replaced it...The dealer I bought it from sux big time! I love the car, but I wish I would have bought a new one instead like I wanted to..

2010 Mustang GT Premium
Ford Racing Axel Backs
3.55s
Comfort Package
GT package
Security Package
5 Speed
Ambient Lighting package
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Well there is no way you should have to pay that for tires, you can get a new take of set from a 2010 gt with the rims for 800-900. What the heck kind of tires are you looking at. Even nitto's in stockish sizes only run about 150 a piece. Plus about 75 -100 bucks to have them all put on. front rotors and pads can be found for around 600 and those are not even the cheapest route to go. You could have this all fixed up for a little over a thousand.

But I still understand that your mad at the dealer but your probably just gonna have to suck it up. Good Luck whatever the outcome.

The crappy thing is no matter where you get a used car you have to be prepared to pay for anything that goes wrong and anything that wears out even if its right away. Even if you buy that used car from a ford or other dealer you still run into the same problems with used auto's they are older have miles on them may or may not need parts replacing already.

Your lucky they didnt blame the engine problems on you and replaced it.

When I purchased my stang I was prepared to buy it even if the engine blew up the next day, as I was prepared to fix it in the event anything should happen and it would still be cheaper than buying new for me. If I didnt want that worry like that I would have been looking at 20k new cars instead of used.

'05 GT
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010
MACH I Member

Garage
I'd recommend looking at a different brand other than BFG for tires. Wife had BFG KDWS all season on her 06 GT. The lasted about 35K. Last fall we put on some Goodyear Eagle GT's and they're so much better. Shopped around and got them from Tire Discounters for around $160 each. As for rotors, good recommendation would be the PowerSlots with Hawk pads. Much better than OEM.

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
GT Member

I understand no money to spend now.

I would buy these rotors for now [$40 for the pair] (if you even want to do that much now), using the existing pads...put them on the car yourself.

Ford Mustang OEM Auto Parts for sale

As for the tires. I lived in southern Calif for 25 years. There, as in Arizona the sun does dry out tires. I have had two different vehicles with such tires. I never had a blowout from them. Unless there is very bad cracking within the tread itself, I would just use the tires that are on the car now. Worry about spending more money maybe next year.

Tire shops want to sell tires. Wherever you took it to be looked at they were just warning you to be on the safe side for themselves...or they wanted you to spend your money with them. Doesn't mean you HAVE to spend the money now.

Keep working, keep making the payments, enjoy your ride for this summer.

I feel for you,
Richard.

p.s. Brake rotors are warped on my car also. The ones in the rear, as e brake cables froze up in the winter. Dealer did warranty repair on the cables but did not replace the rotors. Rotors are not badly warped, I only notice vibration when I am braking from over 100 mph..and I don't drive those speeds every day so I live with it.

Last edited by s197gt; 05-19-2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: add content
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s197gt View Post
I would buy these rotors for now [$40 for the pair] (if you even want to do that much now), using the existing pads...put them on the car yourself.

Ford Mustang OEM Auto Parts for sale

As for the tires. I lived in southern Calif for 25 years. There, as in Arizona the sun does dry out tires. I have had two different vehicles with such tires. I never had a blowout from them. Unless there is very bad cracking within the tread itself, I would just use the tires that are on the car now. Worry about spending more money maybe next year.

Tire shops want to sell tires. Wherever you took it to be looked at they were just warning you to be on the safe side for themselves...or they wanted you to spend your money with them. Doesn't mean you HAVE to spend the money now.

Keep working, keep making the payments, enjoy your ride for this summer.

I feel for you,
Richard.

p.s. Brake rotors are warped on my car also. The ones in the rear, as e brake cables froze up in the winter. Dealer did warranty repair on the cables but did not replace the rotors. Rotors are not badly warped, I only notice vibration when I am braking from over 100 mph..and I don't drive those speeds every day so I live with it.
Sorry I have not seen this sooner...I just checked out the site and OMG!!! $40 I can handle that! That would be cheap fix for now till I can get some more money. Thanks for the input!!!!

2010 Mustang GT Premium
Ford Racing Axel Backs
3.55s
Comfort Package
GT package
Security Package
5 Speed
Ambient Lighting package
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

I'm going with Power Slots and Hawk pads....my buddy just called me and said $500 for all 4 Rotors and all the pads...

2010 Mustang GT Premium
Ford Racing Axel Backs
3.55s
Comfort Package
GT package
Security Package
5 Speed
Ambient Lighting package
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Power slots are nice rotors. Hawk pads, not so much.

1965 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page