Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/)
-   -   Installing a Short Throw Shifter (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/238436-installing-short-throw-shifter.html)

Jump_daddy33 05-29-2010 11:07 PM

Installing a Short Throw Shifter

From reading other threads about short throw shifters, the MGW seems to be the shifter of choice. How hard is it to install? Do you have to get under the car? Should I just let a professional install it. And advice would be appreciated.

duckbubbles 05-29-2010 11:28 PM

If you are semi-skilled mechanically, you can do it by following the video CD. You also really must jack at least the front end with jack stands under it. That's how I did mine a little over a year ago and I love the thing. It's something you can enjoy each time you drive the car, whether or not you get on the gas.

I set mine at 7 turns out and haven't wanted to change it.

Frank

Oh5Stang 05-30-2010 09:23 AM

I just installed a Hurst Billet Comp Plus is my '05. It was the easiest thing to do. There are only 4 bolts to remove to take out the stock shifter. The center console is way too easy to take out. Just a couple of things I ran into that were not in the instructions. My OEM shifter had a safety clip on it that was a pain to get off. Some wiggling and pulling made short work of it. If you don't have a ratcheting box end 10mm for the front bolt, get one. It will make life very easy. Also when removing the front 10mm bolt use a long box end wrench to get some leverage, its a tight space. The last thing I did was install the new shifter from the bottom. There was no way of sliding the new shifter in from the top. It was tight, but I was able to slide the shifter between the drive shaft and the transmission tunnel. You may have to rotate the drive shaft if the balance weight is in the way. I did have a lift to work under, but this can be done in the drive way with jack stands and a creeper. Don't pay someone to do this, its way to easy. Good luck.

goofas7070 05-30-2010 09:17 PM

I was able to install my Hurst shifter in about 2 hours taking my time. Check out my comments at american muscles site under the FRPP shifter.

DJH1211 05-31-2010 02:43 AM

I love my MGW shifter. Like the others, it's an easy install. It came with complete instructions and photos. It took me 3 hours, but I'm a slow worker. I will never miss third gear again, and never miss fourth shifting down from fifth.

Jump_daddy33 05-31-2010 02:52 AM

Thank you to those that provided comments. This is a great venue for getting information and opinions.