Installing a Short Throw Shifter - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Installing a Short Throw Shifter

From reading other threads about short throw shifters, the MGW seems to be the shifter of choice. How hard is it to install? Do you have to get under the car? Should I just let a professional install it. And advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010
GT Member
S197 Member

If you are semi-skilled mechanically, you can do it by following the video CD. You also really must jack at least the front end with jack stands under it. That's how I did mine a little over a year ago and I love the thing. It's something you can enjoy each time you drive the car, whether or not you get on the gas.

I set mine at 7 turns out and haven't wanted to change it.

Frank

2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Brembos, Auto, GT500 Axlebacks.

SOLD! 2008 GT Premium, Vapor Metallic, 5-speed stick w/MGW, Ford Racing M6066 Whipple S/C, 3.31 gear, GTA's. GT500 front end, spoiler, suspension and wheels. Sequentials and one touch. - can't wipe the smile off my face.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010
Apprentice

I just installed a Hurst Billet Comp Plus is my '05. It was the easiest thing to do. There are only 4 bolts to remove to take out the stock shifter. The center console is way too easy to take out. Just a couple of things I ran into that were not in the instructions. My OEM shifter had a safety clip on it that was a pain to get off. Some wiggling and pulling made short work of it. If you don't have a ratcheting box end 10mm for the front bolt, get one. It will make life very easy. Also when removing the front 10mm bolt use a long box end wrench to get some leverage, its a tight space. The last thing I did was install the new shifter from the bottom. There was no way of sliding the new shifter in from the top. It was tight, but I was able to slide the shifter between the drive shaft and the transmission tunnel. You may have to rotate the drive shaft if the balance weight is in the way. I did have a lift to work under, but this can be done in the drive way with jack stands and a creeper. Don't pay someone to do this, its way to easy. Good luck.

05 Mineral Grey GT, 5 Speed Manual, Red Leather, IUP, Kenwood DDX512, Stock Bullets, Side Air Bags, Anti-Theft, Axle-back Flowmasters, Billet A/C Knobs, Hurst Billet Comp Plus STS, SHR Lower Grill Inserts...More to come

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

I was able to install my Hurst shifter in about 2 hours taking my time. Check out my comments at american muscles site under the FRPP shifter.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I love my MGW shifter. Like the others, it's an easy install. It came with complete instructions and photos. It took me 3 hours, but I'm a slow worker. I will never miss third gear again, and never miss fourth shifting down from fifth.

SLITHER
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Thank you to those that provided comments. This is a great venue for getting information and opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page