Stalling at idle after returning to stock - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Stalling at idle after returning to stock

To bring my Stang into the dealer for service, I removed my CAI and catch can, and used my SCT tuner to "return to stock" so the ECM is not running a custom tune anymore.

On my way there the car stalled at idle, I drove around more for 20 miles or so without issue, then the dealer called to say it happened to them too. I told them I have no idea why it would do that.

It seems to idle very low, around 500 rpm, but with everything back to stock, should I pull the negative battery cable so it can recalibrate everything, or is there something else going on here?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

2006 Black GT Premium
For looks: Mystery Spoiler, Sequential Taillights, 14" shorty antenna, CDC hidden spray nozzles, CDC hood lift struts, AM center fog grille, MGW red eject button, Agent 47 sideview mirrors
For kicks: Muffler Delete, Steeda CAI, SCT X3 w/ AM tunes, UPR oil catch can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Needs to relearn idle trim.

1. With the vehicle at a complete stop, set the parking brake.
2. Put the gearshift in P (Park) (automatic transmission) or the neutral position (manual transmission), turn off all accessories and start the engine.
3. Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature.
4. Allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
5. Turn the A/C on and allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.6. Drive the vehicle to complete the relearning process.

The vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles (16 km) or more to relearn the idle and fuel trim strategy.

If you do not allow the engine to relearn its idle trim, the idle quality of your vehicle may be adversely affected until the idle trim is eventually relearned.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

thanks

Thanks! You are a wealth of knowledge. It's good to have so many great enthusiasts out there, because asking my dealer is often a let-down.

2006 Black GT Premium
For looks: Mystery Spoiler, Sequential Taillights, 14" shorty antenna, CDC hidden spray nozzles, CDC hood lift struts, AM center fog grille, MGW red eject button, Agent 47 sideview mirrors

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

still stalling

Ok, I had the battery disconnected for 40 mins, then reconnected and followed your procedure exactly. Then I drove about 70 miles on the highway, and it stalled again while driving around slowly in town.

When it stalls, it happens when going slowly, then getting of the gas and coasting to a stop, or while stopped then about to go again, just as I start to get on the gas a little.

I read somewhere else that my MAF sensor maybe dirty from the oiled air filter. I have a pretty clean Steeda CAI filter now, but the K&N it had when I bought it was over-oiled I believe. I cleaned it since, then put it back in when taking it to the dealer.

I will be buying a OEM paper filter for bringing to the dealer from now on, as that is "aftermarket" as well. It's just funny that I bought it "certified" from the dealer with the K&N in it.

Anyhow, I'm going to spray some MAF cleaner in there, let it dry, then see what happens.

If it keeps up, I probably have a leak of some kind. My hoses look fine, and since this all started when I swapped back to stock, I think handling the MAF sensor may have knocked some dirt/oil into it or something, at least that would make sense to me vs. some sudden vacuum leak.

Then again, I'm just learning about all this stuff, so I could be wrong!

2006 Black GT Premium
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

A dirty MAF will do that. If that doesn't do it, it could be the MAF failing or an issue with the throttle body.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

check your hose from removing the catch can or the one that runs from the passenger side cam cover to the intake.Those are the only leaks that seems logical. Easy enoughh to track down. I have forgotten to hook up the one on the passenger side before.

Forged bottom end, Ported heads, Saleen super charger, 2.8 blower pulley/15psi, Dual stage water to air intercooler, AFCO heat exchanger, battery relocated, Twin GT500 fuel pumps, T-56 trans, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff, TA Performance rear end girdle, Racecraft suspension system, UCA, LCA, panhard bar, 15" slotted front rotors w/ 6 piston calipers, Carbon Fiber front splitter/rear diffuser, and bunch of other stuff
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Update

Thanks to everyone that replied.
Yeah, I triple-checked the hoses, and made sure I didn't crack the passenger side one when putting the CAI back in.

I bought some MAF cleaner, and some special throttle body cleaner that is safe for coated or Teflon-coated throttle bodies like our S197's have. I read DO NOT USE CARB CLEANER on our coated throttle bodies.

Anyhow, it was probably the MAF cleaner that did the trick, but the MAF sensor looked dirty, but the cleaner did a great job making it shiny again. I sprayed it like 10+ times (per directions) and let it dry a long time.

Anyhow, she's running like a champ again. Idles great, no hesitation or stalling anymore. It's only been 1 day, but so far so good.

I'll send another update good or bad news.

Thanks again everyone.

2006 Black GT Premium
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Glad that did the trick.

1965 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
idle , return to stock , sct tuner , stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page