Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/)
-   -   2006 Mustang GT Low Idle Issues (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/243864-2006-mustang-gt-low-idle-issues.html)

rjackson33 06-29-2010 05:10 PM

2006 Mustang GT Low Idle Issues

2006 GT, JBA Long Tube Headers, off road H pipe, Pypes mid muffler exhaust, SCT Tuner w/ custom tune.

When coming to a stop, car will idle down to 500 and sometimes a little lower and die. Seems to do it worse when engine is cold. Replaced the Throttle position sensor, did not help, adjusted the custom tune, did not help. When engine is warm, it still idles down to 500 until car is stopped and will idle up to 650. Cannot figure this low idle out. I extended the O/2 sensors and this is when all this started. Bought the custom tune from American Muscle with the Bama custom tune, did not help the low idle. Hopefully it will get better fuel mileage with the tune. HELP

stlwagon 06-29-2010 05:27 PM

852 Attachment(s)
Clean your throttle body and mass airflow sensor.

Welcome to AFM!

Heavy Armor 07-01-2010 10:51 AM

If this is happening just since you installed that tune, drive it awhile. 2 of my 3 Brenspeed tunes (CAI package deal) have required me to drive the thing almost a week before the computer can figure out how to deal with the new settings. I was busy trying to fix it myself and kept reinstalling the tunes, so I was starting fresh over and over, and it never got better. When I finally gave up and just drove it, it sorted itself out in about 5 days.

Dunno if that's the way it's supposed to work, but that's what it took with my car. Oddly, that one tune worked right from the start....?

~HA

srgentslayer 07-01-2010 11:26 AM

Funny thing, the same thing is happening to me with AC on. But only in the afternoons after work. Runs great in the morning with AC on. But when I get off work ( car parked for 10 hrs) this symptom starts. when I come to a stop, idle drops to 500, jumps up to 1k, back down , then stabilizes . ?

KlrStng 07-01-2010 02:19 PM

stock CAI? Stock hood? Turbulence around the MAF sensor can cause this sort of behavior, which can be a result of air blowing directly on the filter (ie aftermarket CAI with vented hood). If not, follow the advice here and clean the MAF with MAF cleaner and then clean the TB thoroughly.

bigkzilla 07-01-2010 03:04 PM

Your idle park and idle drive settings may be set differently. Set them in the 700 range and leave em alone. I tried playing with the idle and anything below 600 didn't work too well when you threw in the A/C. You turn it on and it would rev up and down under load. Cleaning your MAF sensor, TB, and Air filter wouldn't hurt either.

rjackson33 07-01-2010 07:03 PM

Not Stock CAI, Not Stock Hood. I have a vented hood w/ aftermarket CAI. I think you may have nailed it on the head. My CAI is open on the top and air turbulance has to be bad. What do you think I should do? Great help from EVERYBODY.

Thanks to ALL. BTW, Getting ready to install an aftermarket BBK Throttle with spacer. Hope this helps the HP and the FM. :winks