2006 Mustang GT Low Idle Issues - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

2006 Mustang GT Low Idle Issues

2006 GT, JBA Long Tube Headers, off road H pipe, Pypes mid muffler exhaust, SCT Tuner w/ custom tune.

When coming to a stop, car will idle down to 500 and sometimes a little lower and die. Seems to do it worse when engine is cold. Replaced the Throttle position sensor, did not help, adjusted the custom tune, did not help. When engine is warm, it still idles down to 500 until car is stopped and will idle up to 650. Cannot figure this low idle out. I extended the O/2 sensors and this is when all this started. Bought the custom tune from American Muscle with the Bama custom tune, did not help the low idle. Hopefully it will get better fuel mileage with the tune. HELP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Clean your throttle body and mass airflow sensor.

Welcome to AFM!

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010
PONY Member

If this is happening just since you installed that tune, drive it awhile. 2 of my 3 Brenspeed tunes (CAI package deal) have required me to drive the thing almost a week before the computer can figure out how to deal with the new settings. I was busy trying to fix it myself and kept reinstalling the tunes, so I was starting fresh over and over, and it never got better. When I finally gave up and just drove it, it sorted itself out in about 5 days.

Dunno if that's the way it's supposed to work, but that's what it took with my car. Oddly, that one tune worked right from the start....?

~HA

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

Funny thing, the same thing is happening to me with AC on. But only in the afternoons after work. Runs great in the morning with AC on. But when I get off work ( car parked for 10 hrs) this symptom starts. when I come to a stop, idle drops to 500, jumps up to 1k, back down , then stabilizes . ?

2006 GT Vista Blue . Shaker 500, leather int., interior upgrade. 2x12'' p1 Rockford Fosgates Woofers w/ Kenwood mono 500w sub amp. Pioneer 6x8 225watt rear deck speakers w/ jensen ps250 amp .Bassani Mufflers, X-pipe & high flow cats. Shaker hood , agressive chin spoiler. GT500 Wheels w/ Falken 275/40R18 F/R. Eibach Pro-Kit Spring Kit 1.3" frt , 1.4" rear.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

stock CAI? Stock hood? Turbulence around the MAF sensor can cause this sort of behavior, which can be a result of air blowing directly on the filter (ie aftermarket CAI with vented hood). If not, follow the advice here and clean the MAF with MAF cleaner and then clean the TB thoroughly.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Your idle park and idle drive settings may be set differently. Set them in the 700 range and leave em alone. I tried playing with the idle and anything below 600 didn't work too well when you threw in the A/C. You turn it on and it would rev up and down under load. Cleaning your MAF sensor, TB, and Air filter wouldn't hurt either.

-------------------------------------------
2006 Vista Blue "Mach 1", Auto, N/A
-------------------------------------------
Too much to list and nothing really that great. If interested check out my profile.
------------------------------------------------------------
Numbers are just that...numbers.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Not Stock CAI, Not Stock Hood. I have a vented hood w/ aftermarket CAI. I think you may have nailed it on the head. My CAI is open on the top and air turbulance has to be bad. What do you think I should do? Great help from EVERYBODY.

Thanks to ALL. BTW, Getting ready to install an aftermarket BBK Throttle with spacer. Hope this helps the HP and the FM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page