What material is stock exhaust? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

What material is stock exhaust?

Looking to do a custom exhaust setup that uses mostly the stock exhaust system, but I don't know what kind of metal the stock tubing is.

What kind of steel is the stock exhaust from the catalytic converters back? It isn't plain carbon steel, but obviously isnt aluminum or stainless. Is it aluminized steel? Also, What is the tubing wall thickness? I really dont feel like pulling the exhaust off so I can check wall thickness with a pair of calipers before i order tubing...

Also, anyone here do much welding on it? I have plenty experience with everything from carbon to chromoly steel, and even Ti and Aluminum, but I dont know about welding aluminized steel... I believe you just removed the surface coating, but I am not really sure...

On another side not, NEVER drive your car if you just remove the mufflers. I was curious about sound levels, so I removed the mufflers just so I could get an idea of how loud muffler deletes where compared to what I want. Long story short, I got lazy and didnt put them back on until the next day. The exhuast hit the rear suspension during the 15 minutes of driving I did with them off, and now the tubing that goes over the rear axle has been compressed to an oval that is about half as tall as the original tubing diameter..... My laziness has finally caused some damage...

Surprisingly, the car still runs amazing... It ran pretty bad with the mufflers off for some reason, but as soon as I put them back on the car was able to get some serious spin after the shift from 1st to 2nd. And I have no engine work and the rear tires are in great condition...

'05 Mustang GT (Black)- Intake and Tune, MGW shifter, Lots of suspension goodies, Nitrous (wet injection)

Lead suspension/chassis Engineer- Wreck Racing

"If a hammer can't fix it, it's electrical."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldComeNew View Post
Looking to do a custom exhaust setup that uses mostly the stock exhaust system, but I don't know what kind of metal the stock tubing is.

What kind of steel is the stock exhaust from the catalytic converters back? It isn't plain carbon steel, but obviously isnt aluminum or stainless. Is it aluminized steel? Also, What is the tubing wall thickness? I really dont feel like pulling the exhaust off so I can check wall thickness with a pair of calipers before i order tubing...

Also, anyone here do much welding on it? I have plenty experience with everything from carbon to chromoly steel, and even Ti and Aluminum, but I dont know about welding aluminized steel... I believe you just removed the surface coating, but I am not really sure...

On another side not, NEVER drive your car if you just remove the mufflers. I was curious about sound levels, so I removed the mufflers just so I could get an idea of how loud muffler deletes where compared to what I want. Long story short, I got lazy and didnt put them back on until the next day. The exhuast hit the rear suspension during the 15 minutes of driving I did with them off, and now the tubing that goes over the rear axle has been compressed to an oval that is about half as tall as the original tubing diameter..... My laziness has finally caused some damage...

Surprisingly, the car still runs amazing... It ran pretty bad with the mufflers off for some reason, but as soon as I put them back on the car was able to get some serious spin after the shift from 1st to 2nd. And I have no engine work and the rear tires are in great condition...
The over axle pipes are all that you should have to replace. They disconnect at the H. If you have your mufflers off check the thickness on the ends. I don't know what its made out of but my exhaust is covered in surface rust. Made it a pain in the ass to put LT's on, thats for sure! If it were me I would just get a new cat back exhaust set up.

-------------------------------------------
2006 Vista Blue "Mach 1", Auto, N/A
Too much to list and nothing really that great. If interested check out my profile.
------------------------------------------------------------
Numbers are just that...numbers.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
... but obviously isnt aluminum or stainless. ....
Not so obvious.

It is 2.5" stainless... I'd guess 409...

2007 GT, 5 speed, Paxton 2200

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
The exhuast hit the rear suspension during the 15 minutes of driving I did with them off, and now the tubing that goes over the rear axle has been compressed to an oval that is about half as tall as the original tubing diameter..... My laziness has finally caused some damage...
The over axle pipe are compressed in that spot stock so that they dont rub the axle. Are you sure you did it and its not just the stock compression spot? And even if they are compressed more than the stock would be m the opening is still the same size weather its compressed or not.

'05 GT
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
The entire OEM exhaust (minus the manifolds) is 409 stainless.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010
PONY Member

It will weld just fine with a standard steel mig wire. I use L-56 wire.

"You can't fix stupid"

Tuned by PowerHouse411
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Wow, thanks guys. I just assumed it wasnt stainless due to the finish. Looked closer to aluminized. Sweet, havent played with stainless much, but have plenty of stainless rod and plate to play with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkzilla View Post
The over axle pipes are all that you should have to replace. They disconnect at the H. If you have your mufflers off check the thickness on the ends. I don't know what its made out of but my exhaust is covered in surface rust. Made it a pain in the ass to put LT's on, thats for sure! If it were me I would just get a new cat back exhaust set up.
Yah, I am really just looking to repair the over axles for real cheap, I'll probably just weld a wire and use a slide hammer to pull them back out a tad. I plan on leaving pretty much the entire exhaust stock, I am just going to relocate the cats to the H-pipe and then put a set of electric cutouts just before them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckerpuck View Post
The over axle pipe are compressed in that spot stock so that they dont rub the axle. Are you sure you did it and its not just the stock compression spot? And even if they are compressed more than the stock would be m the opening is still the same size weather its compressed or not.
Yah, I looked into that, and it seems they are compressed a little bit more than stock. What makes me really think that is that each side is compressed a slightly different amount. And actually, the further out of round they are, the less flow area they have. An oval with the same circumfrence as a circle will have less area. And beyond that, a change in the shape of the pipe causes some odd behavior in the fluid dynamics of the system, creating turbulence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/05gt View Post
It will weld just fine with a standard steel mig wire. I use L-56 wire.
MIG!! Mig is for hacks! Haha, just kidding. I just happen to love TIG. Hard to produce a perfect stacked dime bead on titanium with a MIG welder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
The entire OEM exhaust (minus the manifolds) is 409 stainless.
What about the manifolds? Like I said, I am looking to relocate the cats, is the tubing the runs to them 409 stainless as well?

'05 Mustang GT (Black)- Intake and Tune, MGW shifter, Lots of suspension goodies, Nitrous (wet injection)

Lead suspension/chassis Engineer- Wreck Racing

"If a hammer can't fix it, it's electrical."
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

The manifolds are cast iron and are bolted onto the collectors with studs.

2006 Vista Blue "Mach 1", Auto, N/A
Too much to list and nothing really that great. If interested check out my profile.
------------------------------------------------------------
Numbers are just that...numbers.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010
PONY Member

409 SS has more iron and less nickel content than 304 or 316.

07 GT vert, Satin Silver, 5spd, premium trim, interior upgrade pkg, comfort group, GT appearance package, cloth top

ADDED: 302 Stroker, KB 2.8 Mammoth @ 20psi, DOB belt drive, E85 fed, TR6060, ATI, Cervini hood, Meziere, Pypes Long Tubes, O/R X pipe, FRPP GTA mufflers, 20" Bullitts, Eibach Springs, BMR relo brackets/UCA/LCA`s, FRPP 4.10, etc, etc.
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
What about the manifolds? Like I said, I am looking to relocate the cats, is the tubing the runs to them 409 stainless as well?
Cats are on the H. All 409 stainless to where it bolts to the manifold.

1965 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page