2008 Mustang GT stalled on highway - help? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

2008 Mustang GT stalled on highway - help?

2008 GT, automatic transmission, 35000 miles; all maintenance is up to date.

Car has stalled while on the road twice in the last 6-7 weeks. First time was at 5-10mph after just pulling out of a parking lot. Second time was two weeks ago at 70mph on highway - I had been on the highway for 20+ miles when it stalled. No high-speed driving, not on rough roads, no accidents - just regular driving conditions.

Both times I was unable to restart the car - it would turn over and then stall again immediately. Battery is not dead - lights, radio, everthing still worked fine.

The first time, after sitting on the side of the road for 20 minutes I was able to flag down a tow truck and the driver mentioned the fuel inertia switch. He thought I might have hit a large pothole or something and triggered it. He pushed the switch a few times and the engine eventually started up. I did not take it to a garage after this episode.

After the highway stall, I remembered the inertia switch and pushed it - even though i know i had not hit any rough road conditions. This did not work at first but after several tries over 20-25 minutes the engine finally did start and stay on.

This second time I had it towed to my local dealership. They checked it out but found nothing on the computer - no codes, nothing. It has been fine for the last two weeks but now I am paranoid about it. Even though it seems fine I now wonder if it's idling rough, or after every bump, every shift in the automatic trans, I wonder if the thing is going to die on me.

Any ideas?? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

sorry - wrong forum

rookie mistake. i've posted this in the 2005+ GT forum instead

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010
Rookie

the first two things i would think of (however wrong they may be) would be overheating and trash in the gas. i cant see either of them being highly likely, but its a good place to start looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
mustang gt 2008 , stall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page