2008 Mustang GT/CS Steering Wheel Vibration - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

When I first put the Saleen Parnelli Jones wheels on my '06 V6, there was a terrible vibration at 70 MPH from the right rear wheel. I went back to the tire place and the fellow said that wheel was bent, but they would try a "max balance" to see if they could work it out for me. The balance worked. I took the wheel back to the wheel guy, and he said it was not bent, and showed me it wasn't. I learned to disbelieve balancer guys.

The GT500 take-offs were perfect up to (mention of pegged speedometer goes here) MPH as they came from Shelby. Nice.

I have a set of "Fanblades" with Bridgestone RE-01Rs which are smooth as can be at the speeds I've tried them at (set from Tire Rack, pre-assembled and balanced), except on one half-mile section of concrete highway, where they act like front-wheel out-of-balance on first one side and then the other. So, I reckon there is some interplay among tire characteristics, speed, and road surface that can give the impression of a vibration problem that comes and goes.

ADDED: 2014 GT 5.0A conv. black: electronics, comfort, security, CA plate (FLICK U); assembled 06-13-2014, delivered 09-25-2014; odometer today (03-21-2016) 4,321.5(--> DELETED --> 2013 5.06M coupe, black:: Odo LAST day (09-25-2014) 7,975) (--> DELETED --> 2008 GT/CS: Odo LAST day (10-22-2012): 9,719.3; #2075 of 2509 convertibles, #560 of 718 in Ebony. 2009 GT/CS: Odo last day (09-08-2012): 12,000.1; #34 of 1705 coupes, #3 of 377 in Performance White. <-- DELETED <--)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedfireV8 View Post
*I don't mean to hijack or anything but I do feel this may help in the future with others with factory style wheels that may have this issue.

For sqidd, stangstta and anyone else really:
I have the 07-09 GT500 Wheels and I've had the balance checked and was wondering what your thoughts were on running hub centric rings on a factory rim?

I'm not farmiliar with the GT500 Wheels you mentioned. If you take off all the lugs on one of these wheels, is there alot of play where you can move the wheel around (up and down, and front to back) when seated on the hub? If so, then a set of hub-centric rings will help to center the wheel on the hub, and not rely on the lug nuts in hopes you have lined-up the center of the wheel with the center of the hub.

-Stangstta

PONY Member
S197 Member

Ford uses what is called "detent washers" to hold the rotors on the hubs at the factory. These washers sometimes will interfere with the wheels ability to mount perfectly flat to the hub. If the washers are still on the hub/rotors remove them and redrive the car. Once fixed a 05 with Shelby CS wheels that had a vibration, removed the washers and the vibraton was gone. All factory wheels from Ford has a small detent area for clearance, some aftermarket do some don't.

Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Balance fixed it

Had the same thing on my 07 GT with factory 18's and 245/45/18 tires. Rebalanced them all again 4 weeks after the new tires were installed and supposedly balanced.

I've always felt that the TPMS sensors and straps are a contributing factor to the balance troubles.

Rocko
Apprentice
Classic Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

excellent thread!

I'm having this problem right now with a set of 18" FR500 replica wheels (bought on Craigslist new in boxes, same wheels sold by American Muscle) and a new set of Bridgestone RE760s (255/45R18, bought at Firestone store). 2nd try at balancing, same results. I can actually see about 1/8" wobble in my steering wheel at 65 MPH. Horrible.

I have had no problems with the OE wheels/tires (16" "Halibrands" with BFG TAs) and a set of Ford Racing "Bullitt" 18s with BFG TAs. Surely it's not the tires, it must be the wheels, or just a lousy balance job.

Great info about the hub centric rings and the Hunter balance system. I will take it to another nearby Firestone where they have the top-line Hunter machine and see if that works. I will post results and if that doesn't work I'll get the rings and post those results.

Thanks!

Last edited by tabstang; 07-26-2010 at 12:16 AM. Reason: tire size
Apprentice
Classic Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Btw

I decided to leave the TPMS off, even though I had all the parts. I think that system is a real POS. All that for a 25% accuracy rate - what a PITA and a waste of engineering!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page