What tire pressure ? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

What tire pressure ?

I have a set of 20 inch bullitts from American Muscle and would like to know what tire pressure to use for normal driving currently I have 35 psi in them or should i use the factory recommended 32 psi

06 GT Vista Blue with White stripes Premium Package 5 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010
Rookie
5.0L Member

the more yo increase your psi the more likely you are to break them. THe factory setting is a "recommendation." You should see a slight increae in your gas mileage with "over-inflating (1 two two gallons). There is really no difference in the pressure. The tire heat and wear are almost identical. do not go crazy to like 40 or 45 ibs and you will be fine.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Go with the tire mfg recommendations.

1965 Mustang Coupe

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john6715 View Post
I have a set of 20 inch bullitts from American Muscle and would like to know what tire pressure to use for normal driving currently I have 35 psi in them or should i use the factory recommended 32 psi
IMO, 32-35 psi will be just fine..!!

2007 Black on Black, GT 6 Speed
B326 (5.3L) Built Stroker,FRPP CNC PORTED Heads,Kooks LT's,Hi-Flow Catted H,Aluminum Drive Shaft,4:10 Gears,Tokico, Eibach Pro,Nitto 555R,,UCA/LCA, ,HotRod Cams,FRPP 62mm TB,Whipple HO-Intercooled SC,GT-500 Dual Fuel Pumps,Steeda-Whipple 10 Rib Belt Drive System,15 psi, Mcleod RXT Twin Disc Clutch, Moroso 7qt oil pan. Tremec T56 Magnum XL 6 Speed
Plus more...
709 RWHP/712 RWTQ
Mustang Dyno
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

+1 for STL
The tire is made to perform at a certain range of PSI. Use what the tire states, not the label on your car.

2009 Vapor silver GT Glass roof, 5 speed, Hurst short throw, SCT custom dyno tune, JLT CAI,Custom made oil separator, Steeda UDP,Steeda fixed LCA's, J&M adj panhard bar, J&M adj UCA, Steeda Sport lowering springs,Steeda HD upper strut mounts, GT 500 Struts and shocks, Boom tubes axel backs, Ford racing 3.73's, Shaftmaster Alum 1pc driveshaft,Competition Engineering safety loop, Nitto 555's. 300.54 RWHP and 310.88 RWTQ.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporGT View Post
+1 for STL
The tire is made to perform at a certain range of PSI. Use what the tire states, not the label on your car.
Where can I find the tire manufacturer's recommendation for the tires when mounted on my particular rims? All I find on the sidewalls and Inet are Maximum pressures.

ADDED: 2014 GT 5.0A conv. black: electronics, comfort, security, CA plate (FLICK U); assembled 06-13-2014, delivered 09-25-2014; odometer today (03-21-2016) 4,321.5(--> DELETED --> 2013 5.06M coupe, black:: Odo LAST day (09-25-2014) 7,975) (--> DELETED --> 2008 GT/CS: Odo LAST day (10-22-2012): 9,719.3; #2075 of 2509 convertibles, #560 of 718 in Ebony. 2009 GT/CS: Odo last day (09-08-2012): 12,000.1; #34 of 1705 coupes, #3 of 377 in Performance White. <-- DELETED <--)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Tire mfg websites should provide all the technical data for their tires.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

the bigger your tire, the more pressure you have to use. i use 35 in my stock 17. try calling american muscle.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowendtork View Post
the bigger your tire, the more pressure you have to use. i use 35 in my stock 17. try calling american muscle.
I don't think that statement is correct. I used to run 35" BFG AT's on my 2002 F-150 and I had them at 32-35 PSI. That tire is HUGE compared to our mustang tires. They always wore even....no problems.

I used to run 32-25 PSI on my 99 GT'S 17's....I run 32 psi on my 2010's 19's.

Just my experiance....

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the the quick reply's and information I will check with AM for manufacturer recommendations

06 GT Vista Blue with White stripes Premium Package 5 Speed
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
Tire mfg websites should provide all the technical data for their tires.
I agree: they should; however, from my recent attempts to find recommended tire pressures for the Mustang tires I now have access to, this is the extent of the tire pressure information I could come up with:

Michelin says

Recommended Pressure

If you don’t know the proper inflation air pressure for your tires, what do you do?

Easy. Check at one of the following places on your vehicle:

* In the vehicle owners manual.
* On the vehicle’s door jamb. (Often, a vehicle information placard is located on the door jamb along with the recommended tire inflation pressure.)
* Inside the fuel hatch filler flap. (In some vehicles.)
* The glove compartment door. (In some vehicles.)
o But NOT on the tire. The inflation pressure shown on the tire sidewall is only the maximum tire inflation pressure. In most situations, the vehicle manufacturers recommended tire inflation pressure is shown on the vehicle placard. However, on some older vehicles, the recommended pressure listed by your vehicle’s manufacturer may be shown as two numbers: One for city speed driving and normal load and one for highway speeds and/or maximum capacity vehicle load.

Be sure to inflate your tires to the recommended inflation pressure for each type of driving situation.

------------

Goodyear

Check Your Air Pressure
Keep your tires properly inflated and you could improve gas mileage by more than $1.50 every time you fill your tank.

The recommended tire pressure for your vehicle is located on a sticker inside your driver-side door or noted in your owner's manual.

"The "right amount" of air for your tires is specified by the vehicle manufacturer and is shown on the vehicle door edge, door post, glove box door, or fuel door. It is also listed in the owner's manual."

--------------------

Bridgestone sends you to tiresafety.com:

Inflation Pressure

Proper inflation pressure is essential for achieving maximum performance and mileage. Improper tire inflation pressure can cause severe internal tire damage, which can lead to sudden tire failure and resulting in serious personal injury or death.Improper inflation pressure may result in rapid or irregular wear. Pressures should always be checked when the tires are cold and at least monthly. Under normal tire operation, approximately 1psi of tire pressure will escape every month. Also, for every 10 degrees F change in ambient temperature, tire pressure will change by approximately 1psi.

Vehicle manufacturers list recommended tire pressures for original vehicle tires in the owner's manual or on a placard on the end of the driver's side door or in the glove box.

For continuous high speed driving, tire pressures should be increased by 3 to 5psi above the normal cold inflation
recommended.

However, for passenger tires, never exceed the maximum inflation pressure molded on the sidewall. The inflation pressure for light truck tires may exceed that molded on the tire by 10psi. Any recommended front to rear pressure differential should be maintained.
--------------

There is quite a bit of information about individual tire models and sizes, but the manufacturers I investigated defer to the vehicle manufacturers for tire pressures. In the cases of non-stock sizes of wheel and tire, the stock pressures may be a reasonable starting point, but it seems to me the interests of readers of these forums are not likely to require a starting point as much as a path to the correct pressure for their (usually over-sized) rims and tires in their (usually non-stock) uses.

ADDED: 2014 GT 5.0A conv. black: electronics, comfort, security, CA plate (FLICK U); assembled 06-13-2014, delivered 09-25-2014; odometer today (03-21-2016) 4,321.5(--> DELETED --> 2013 5.06M coupe, black:: Odo LAST day (09-25-2014) 7,975) (--> DELETED --> 2008 GT/CS: Odo LAST day (10-22-2012): 9,719.3; #2075 of 2509 convertibles, #560 of 718 in Ebony. 2009 GT/CS: Odo last day (09-08-2012): 12,000.1; #34 of 1705 coupes, #3 of 377 in Performance White. <-- DELETED <--)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page