2008 gt pcv system. smoke from pass. side valve cover - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

2008 gt pcv system. smoke from pass. side valve cover

The car is going in tomorrow to see whats up. I have(seems to me anyway) excessive smoke coming from the passenger side valve cover breather and oil fill breather. Pretty much nothing coming from the drivers side cover breather. Plus what seems to be an intermittent miss(no codes)

I thought the passenger side was the intake side and the drivers side was the exhaust side. If this is true why is it all coming from the passenger side?

On another post I read that getting your valve covers painted/powder coated can cause problems with the pcv system. Seems the high heat from baking the paint on causes something in the cover or covers to malfunction. I tried blowing into the drivers side cover and there was definitely a restriction and it was waaaay easier to get air to come out. Makes me think the passenger side is messed up for sure.

Just need someone to tell me exactly how the 2008 pcv system works. And if there should be nothing coming from the passenger side breathers.

'08 GT premium 5 spd

just a couple little things
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010
PONY Member

When you breath the enginge it reverses and everything will come out of the passanger side except when you're under boost which will force the PCV valve in the driver's side cover open.

When the system is sealed, vaccum from the engine opens the pcv valve on the driver's side and that's where the gasses escape from. The design of the system has not changed in the 05-09 models.

300 stroker @ 11:1 compression, FRPP Stage 2 heads, 127300 cams, 4r70W, Kooks 1 3/4" lt's with 3" H mid-pipe, FRPP stinger mufflers, B&M ratchet shifter, UPR LCA's, JPC race UCA. E-Force TVS. Engine built by Everett's specialty repair, tuned by Manuel @ tudyno.com 9.98 @ 136.55 1.39 60'
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

interesting. Maybe I should go back to the catch can...but not back into the intake with it.

Thanks!!

'08 GT premium 5 spd

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
The passenger side is always under vacuum.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysan View Post
When you breath the enginge it reverses and everything will come out of the passanger side except when you're under boost which will force the PCV valve in the driver's side cover open.
There is no PCV valve in these cars. There is nothing more than a series of baffles on the interior of the driver side valve cover.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
There is no PCV valve in these cars. There is nothing more than a series of baffles on the interior of the driver side valve cover.
The guy who checked it out for me actually stuck his mouth on the tube of the driver's side cover while it was off the engine and blew and sucked on it to check and he was 100% positive that there's a valve built into that tubing. The guy assembles his motors for his 2 dragsters as well as other cars that him and his son race so I trust his knowledge.

300 stroker @ 11:1 compression, FRPP Stage 2 heads, 127300 cams, 4r70W, Kooks 1 3/4" lt's with 3" H mid-pipe, FRPP stinger mufflers, B&M ratchet shifter, UPR LCA's, JPC race UCA. E-Force TVS. Engine built by Everett's specialty repair, tuned by Manuel @ tudyno.com 9.98 @ 136.55 1.39 60'
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TheKurgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysan View Post
The design of the system has not changed in the 05-09 models.
Quote:

The design changed in 07. There is no PCV valve in 07 valve covers.

If they play, I spray.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

So there is one in the 08+?

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
The passenger side is always under vacuum.
so what youre saying is I should never see anything coming from the passenger side?

As for the baffles and or valves in the covers...I believe there is something in the drivers side. I blew into the tube and it took air but it was definitely restricted. I sucked and there was no restriction....but when the motor is running....nothing can be seen at all coming from that breather.

'08 GT premium 5 spd

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Ford ran a few tests with their computer and nothing showed up. Compression test on monday.

Maybe its nothing to worry about, just seems weird that theres a hollow sound from the one side of the exhaust...only happens every once in awhile. I'll try to get a video with sound maybe if i can find a camcorder to borrow

'08 GT premium 5 spd

GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
So there is one in the 08+?
Nope, there is not one in 07+. I thought there was one in 05/06, but according to Dysan the powdercoating process destroys it.

If they play, I spray.
Classic Member
S197 Member

There's not one in my 2005.

1965 Mustang Coupe
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
There's not one in my 2005.
There is much less baffling in the 05/06. I just assumed it had a PCV valve to compensate. I had tons of blowby with my powdercoated 05/06 style valve covers. Mine is an 07. I had to go back to 07 style.

If they play, I spray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page