Boom Tube and other "non-muffler" Vehicle Inspections - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Boom Tube and other "non-muffler" Vehicle Inspections

Hello folks,

I am planning to get the Boom Tubes for my '07 GT Vert. Now, I might be moving around a lot which means I might have to register my vehicle in some other State or Province.

I currently live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, but I travel between here and Purdue West Lafayette, IN for my schooling and employment.

Here in Alberta, we don't need cats. I bet we do, but it's more of a 'don't ask, don't tell' kind of deal. But recently in Calgary, there has been new by-law pressure of exhaust noise control. In addition, a lot of the ricer community have been complaining about the cops giving them tickets on their coffee cans which I'm not too sad about, but they get them because they are 4" non-stock.

So...

Boom Tubes are also 4" and they are loud. Do you think they would pass inspections? (I have cats) Do you think cops would be more accepting of Boom Tubes as stock looking? Or should I stick with an exhaust that has a real muffler? I am asking for not only in Alberta and Indiana, but also where you all live.

I know nothing goes in Cali:p

Thanks for your inputs!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010
GT Member

There are so many good HI-Flow cats available I wont run catless for the sake of not tripping out the ECM. Theres not a lot to gain HP wise going catless versus HI-Flows. They also tone down the exhaust note with boom tubes. 3 1/2" is about the max that fits in the stock cutouts of the GT/CS bumper without overstuffing the holes. Im not sure on a GT but I doubt cops would notice 4's.

Obama whines that we don't build stuff like the Hoover Dam anymore. With his EPA in charge nothing CAN get built.....ANYMORE!

If you put the Obama administration in charge of the Sahara desert they would find a way to run out of sand in a year....-ME!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
There are so many good HI-Flow cats available I wont run catless for the sake of not tripping out the ECM. Theres not a lot to gain HP wise going catless versus HI-Flows. They also tone down the exhaust note with boom tubes. 3 1/2" is about the max that fits in the stock cutouts of the GT/CS bumper without overstuffing the holes. Im not sure on a GT but I doubt cops would notice 4's.
I do have cats on my car, I'm just wondering about going muffler-delete. Yeah I was thinking cops would take less notice of the size of the tips of the s197s cause of the vibe around a 'muscle car.' It seems to me more noticeable on a ricer and I guess you can hear the annoying fart cans before you can see their coffee cans.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpuppet View Post
Hello folks,

I am planning to get the Boom Tubes for my '07 GT Vert. Now, I might be moving around a lot which means I might have to register my vehicle in some other State or Province.

I currently live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, but I travel between here and Purdue West Lafayette, IN for my schooling and employment.

Here in Alberta, we don't need cats. I bet we do, but it's more of a 'don't ask, don't tell' kind of deal. But recently in Calgary, there has been new by-law pressure of exhaust noise control. In addition, a lot of the ricer community have been complaining about the cops giving them tickets on their coffee cans which I'm not too sad about, but they get them because they are 4" non-stock.

So...

Boom Tubes are also 4" and they are loud. Do you think they would pass inspections? (I have cats) Do you think cops would be more accepting of Boom Tubes as stock looking? Or should I stick with an exhaust that has a real muffler? I am asking for not only in Alberta and Indiana, but also where you all live.

I know nothing goes in Cali:p

Thanks for your inputs!
I have JBA headers, on O/R H-pipe (no cats) and boom tube axle backs. The combination is scary loud and surprisingly sounds very good. If the boom tubes weren't resonated I think it would sound like crap IMO. I had them with my stock exhaust for a year and then put the headers and O/R on. I haven't gotten pulled over by any cops (knock on wood).

Indiana doesn't have a smog inspection either. Your choice of mufflers v.s. non-mufflers won't affect whether or not you pass an emissions inspection. Its the choice of headers and mid-pipe that do. If you go catless you won't pass anywhere the requires it. Even if you have high-flow cats and headers you won't pass in some states like California. Technically you need cats in every state because the vehicle came from the factory with them and wouldn't pass the emissions vehicle inspection for the year of manufacture. Some places "just don't care". Since you go to school in Indiana can't you always register there?

I would recommend you just get the boom tube axle backs right now and see how you like them. It might be enough for you. Best thing is you can put them on yourself in the driveway with a ratchet, a 10mm socket, a 13mm socket, and 7/16" socket. :smilie

-------------------------------------------
2006 Vista Blue "Mach 1", Auto, N/A
Too much to list and nothing really that great. If interested check out my profile.
------------------------------------------------------------
Numbers are just that...numbers.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
The 4" tips look perfect in the cut outs on the GT bumper. The 3" stock ones look anemic.

Too much to list and nothing really that great. If interested check out my profile.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

If you have stock cats and boomtubes your setup won't be that loud. Cause last night I had another gt take off and he had only slps and the rest was stock. I couldn't believe my car was that quiet back when I had those. But if your running high flows it's gonna be crazy loud almost obnoxious.

2008 Vapor Silver Mustang GT

JLT•SCT•SLP•BMR•Magnaflow•Eibach
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkzilla View Post
The 4" tips look perfect in the cut outs on the GT bumper. The 3" stock ones look anemic.
You're right about that, they are way too small from Ford. I just wasn't sure about the cutout size in a GT bumper. A 4 inch is going to require trimming on the GT/CS bumper though. 3 3/4" is all you could fit but nobody makes one so a 3 1/2" tip fills em up nice.

Obama whines that we don't build stuff like the Hoover Dam anymore. With his EPA in charge nothing CAN get built.....ANYMORE!

If you put the Obama administration in charge of the Sahara desert they would find a way to run out of sand in a year....-ME!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGT View Post
If you have stock cats and boomtubes your setup won't be that loud. Cause last night I had another gt take off and he had only slps and the rest was stock. I couldn't believe my car was that quiet back when I had those. But if your running high flows it's gonna be crazy loud almost obnoxious.
Honestly, I think my car sounded better with the stock exhaust and the boom tubes. That's why I recommend just getting those to try out. Especially if he thinks he might want a turbo later down the road. If you think running high flows with the boomtubes would be crazy loud, imagine it with an O/R H. I need to post a vid of my exhaust. It is unbelievably loud (but I like it :hihi

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkzilla View Post
Honestly, I think my car sounded better with the stock exhaust and the boom tubes. That's why I recommend just getting those to try out. Especially if he thinks he might want a turbo later down the road. If you think running high flows with the boomtubes would be crazy loud, imagine it with an O/R H. I need to post a vid of my exhaust. It is unbelievably loud (but I like it :hihi
I know what a muffler delete sounds like high flow catted (thats what im running atm) and offroad. And if he's gonna run a turbo I'd would say dump the idea of boomtubes and just go with a straight through can muffler. If your worried about emissions running a turbo is the exact opposite.

2008 Vapor Silver Mustang GT

JLT•SCT•SLP•BMR•Magnaflow•Eibach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page